Blastwave dead?

hume.sp...@bofh.ca

Aug 6, 2008, 7:54:35โ€ฏAM8/6/08
Anyone know if something is up with them? I haven't been able to reach
the site for almost a week now.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

Mark

Aug 6, 2008, 8:16:32โ€ฏAM8/6/08

> Anyone know if something is up with them? ย I haven't been able to reach
> the site for almost a week now.

AFAIK, Dennis was doing some maintenance on the web server - I'll ping
an email to the maintainers list and see what's up...

-Mark
ma...@blastwave.org

Daniel Berger

Aug 6, 2008, 9:43:15โ€ฏPM8/6/08
> m...@blastwave.org

The site has a page up that says all assets are frozen until further
notice. :(

Dan

Dave

Aug 7, 2008, 2:08:39โ€ฏAM8/7/08

It's a bit of a strange front page. Someone has a sense of humor, which
I can't say is too closely aligned with mine. Very odd.

Rainer Duffner

Aug 7, 2008, 5:47:50โ€ฏAM8/7/08

Thomas Glanzmann

Aug 7, 2008, 6:27:30โ€ฏAM8/7/08
Hello,
Dennis is screwing around again. It seems that Dennis turned blastwave
into a commercial entity[1] (on top of non-payed work done by the
community) - he has tried that before that is when I decided to leave
blastwave behind. In the process Phil Brown (the real father of
blastwave) tried to fork blastwave off, but Dennis logged into the
master mirror at university Erlangen that is provided by Michael Gernoth
(and myself a long time ago). He wiped the repository there. Luckily we
have offsite-backups (that are out of reach for Dennis) so the mirror at

http://blastwave.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/

is up2date.

Sounds like kindergarden. But with Dennis gone, I'm sure Phil has the
normal operations restored within days. - But the ,,blastwave.org''
domains is gone, I guess.

Thomas

[1] http://www.blastwave.org/

Legal representation for the affairs of Blastwave.org Inc. are
handled by Deeth Williams Wall LLP in Toronto Canada. ( DWW.com )

There are more informations available to me but I told the persons that
I keep them for myself.

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Aug 7, 2008, 9:49:43โ€ฏPM8/7/08
Thank you, Thomas,

I think your guesses are mostly on-track.

Looks like Dennis no longer wishes to make the "blastwave.org" domain
available to the team of non-profit volunteers who wish to continue
doing CSW packaging, unless he can control business access to it.

He has revoked use of his domain from us. So, we are forced to look
elsewhere. I'm starting discussion for a new domain to use, on the
maintainers list.

"CSW packaging" shall indeed resume in a few days(well probably more
like a week)
once we get fixed on a new domain name, etc.

stay tuned :)

sergiusens

Aug 8, 2008, 6:45:54โ€ฏAM8/8/08

If you check osol-discuss at opensolaris.org you'll see that he made
some comments and it seems that he has been engaged by a legal firm
due to license/copyright infringements. This is all speculation
though.

For genunix.org use genunix2.org for now

Ian Collins

Aug 8, 2008, 6:51:45โ€ฏAM8/8/08

For CSW packages, see http://www.suncsw.de.

--
Ian Collins.

Thomas Glanzmann

Aug 8, 2008, 7:03:30โ€ฏAM8/8/08
Hello,

> If you check osol-discuss at opensolaris.org you'll see that he made
> some comments and it seems that he has been engaged by a legal firm
> due to license/copyright infringements. This is all speculation
> though.

this is the usual bullshit that comes out of Dennis mouth. Just ignore
it. His primary objective was to make money out of blastwave. That will
never happen (because CSW is software packaged by the community for free
and because noone would ever buy it in a way that it is profitable for
Dennis). What we saw yesterday was done because he is highly frustrated.
It is not the first time Dennis did that and he screwed around with a
lot of people in the past, but this times it seems that he has to face
the consequences by getting kicked out of the community. From my point
of view this should have happened a long time ago. But the people
tolerated the behaviour of this madman and let him in charge of to many
assets (for example DNS domains). As a consequence a lot of people left
the project - as least that is what I heard and experienced.

Thomas

Daniel Berger

Aug 8, 2008, 11:02:07โ€ฏAM8/8/08
On Aug 8, 5:03ย am, Thomas Glanzmann <sithg...@stud.uni-erlangen.de>
wrote:

Is blastwave.org getting some corporate sponsorship from Sun and
others? I thought it was, but could very well be mistaken.

Thanks,

Dan

osfa...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2008, 3:41:45โ€ฏPM8/8/08
Not one for drama here, but could someone please give a on the future
of the csw project?
I've noticed that blastwave.org is (somewhat) up and working (a few
files missing here and there).

Should users continue to use blastwave.org or use http://www.suncsw.de.
Is the suncsw.de a temporary
holding spot until things clear up?

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Aug 8, 2008, 4:55:18โ€ฏPM8/8/08
On Aug 8, 12:41 pm, osfal...@gmail.com wrote:

> Should users continue to use blastwave.org or use http://www.suncsw.de.
> Is the suncsw.de a temporary
> holding spot until things clear up?

yes, it's temporary for now. It is unclear what the new, long-term
domain will be.

There wont be any package updates for a while. (week or two?)
[although if you want to give feedback on the look of the website,
that's fine :) I'm very happy that I managed to get our bugtracking
system updated and working again, after way too long :( ]

So, at this point, just keep your pkg-get configs exactly where they
pointed to a few days ago, and please be patient.

When we (the actual people behind CSW packaging, rather than "the
owner of the blastwave.org domain") get an official, long-term-safe
domain name to use, then we'll post where to update from.

Stefan Krรผger

Aug 8, 2008, 6:46:24โ€ฏPM8/8/08

reading all this really makes me sad, but it also shows that you have
absolutely no idea of what you're talking about

just to clear some things up, Dennis never indented to make money out of
blastwave with his recent actions, did you ever ask yourself what
happens with blastwave when he's not there anymore (he provides all the
machines and connectivity after all)

so creating a blastwave trademark and transferring it to a community
makes sense to me, he also stated that he doesn't want to work on the
old Solaris 8 cruft anymore (who's still using Solaris 8 x86 anyway?)
and want's to move ahead (OpenSolaris/IPS stuff)

so I'm looking forward for seeing fresh pkgs for Solaris 10 and
OpenSolaris from Dennis/blastwave :)

John D Groenveld

Aug 8, 2008, 9:29:56โ€ฏPM8/8/08
In article <6g40m0F...@mid.uni-berlin.de>,

Stefan Krรผger <stadt...@gmx.de> wrote:
>makes sense to me, he also stated that he doesn't want to work on the
>old Solaris 8 cruft anymore (who's still using Solaris 8 x86 anyway?)
>and want's to move ahead (OpenSolaris/IPS stuff)

Anil Gadre and company's marketing wonks have the best data on
usage of EOLd, legacy supported, currently supported and
shipping Solaris versions, and currently shipping (Open)Solaris
but they're not telling.

Depending on how much client data pkg_get spews to Blastwave or
other CSW package sources, they might be able to make a good
guess of usage of CSW packages on different Solaris versions from
their access_log and agent_log's.

I'm not sure you can infer a whole lot from the preferences of
CSW package maintainers which I suspect tend to resemble developers
and more likely use leading edge development platforms.

Again, Anil Gadre and company's marketing wonks probably have good
data on (Open)Solaris package maintainers, developers, and ISVs
and how their preferences relate to the preferences of Sun's customers,
but I haven't seen it summarized in a way a JAVA stockholder might
understand.

John
groe...@acm.org

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Aug 9, 2008, 1:03:44โ€ฏAM8/9/08
On Aug 8, 3:46 pm, Stefan Krรผger <stadtki...@gmx.de> wrote:

> reading all this really makes me sad, but it also shows that you have
> absolutely no idea of what you're talking about

For the record, Thomas joined up, in 2003, and was a highly dedicated
maintainer, until at least mid-2005 or later. One of the best we ever
had, and one of the few "early maintainers", that truely knows some of
the early history, that is buried in the "private" mail archives (some
of which might even be not even archived any more) So he has more
right than some, to have a claim to know what he's talking about.

Stefan Krรผger

Aug 9, 2008, 7:08:33โ€ฏAM8/9/08

and Dennis is what? a nobody? Like I said, you guys did never mention in
this thread how much heart and soul Dennis put into Blastwave and you
also never said that you appreciated the countless hours and all the
infrastructure Dennis put into/provided for Blastwave; instead you're
just ranting and telling things from a very blinkered view :(

Dick Hoogendijk

Aug 10, 2008, 6:14:48โ€ฏAM8/10/08
quoting Stefan Krรผger (Sat, 09 Aug 2008 11:08:33 +0000):

> and Dennis is what? a nobody? Like I said, you guys did never mention
> in this thread how much heart and soul Dennis put into Blastwave and
> you also never said that you appreciated the countless hours and all
> the infrastructure Dennis put into/provided for Blastwave; instead
> you're just ranting and telling things from a very blinkered view :(

I'm happy to see there are still people out there who -DO- know how to
give credit. Ranting is much easier and seen a lot more between humans.

A 'hear hear' for your mails!

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Aug 10, 2008, 10:46:02โ€ฏPM8/10/08
On Aug 9, 4:08 am, Stefan Krรผger <stadtki...@gmx.de> wrote:
> phil.googlen...@bolthole.com wrote:

> > For the record, Thomas joined up, in 2003, and was a highly dedicated

> > maintainer, until at least mid-2005 or later.... So he has more

> > right than some, to have a claim to know what he's talking about.
>
> and Dennis is what? a nobody? Like I said, you guys did never mention in
> this thread how much heart and soul Dennis put into Blastwave and you
> also never said that you appreciated the countless hours and all the
> infrastructure Dennis put into/provided for Blastwave; instead you're
> just ranting and telling things from a very blinkered view :(

You dont know much more about Dennis, other than what HE HIMSELF has
posted publically.
You have zero first-hand knowlege. You dont think that's a "very
blinkered view"?!
sheesh.

Dennis "donated" hardware and bandwidth: == "good"
Dennis thought that entitled him to OWN the project: == "bad".

There's a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it at that.

haa...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2008, 5:17:55โ€ฏAM8/12/08
On Aug 7, 1:27ย pm, Thomas Glanzmann <sithg...@stud.uni-erlangen.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
> Dennis is screwing around again. It seems that Dennis turnedblastwave
> into a commercial entity[1] (on top of non-payed work done by the
> community) - he has tried that before that is when I decided to leaveblastwavebehind. In the process Phil Brown (the real father ofblastwave) tried to forkblastwaveoff, but Dennis logged into the

> master mirror at university Erlangen that is provided by Michael Gernoth
> (and myself a long time ago). He wiped the repository there. Luckily we
> have offsite-backups (that are out of reach for Dennis) so the mirror at

I'm really new man here, but have anyone from you tried pkgsrc to
compile sw on solaris.
It is completely open-source project, developed by NetBSD developers.
You can run it on
Solaris, Mac OS X, Aix, Irix, Linux and other OSes.

Matt

Aug 12, 2008, 4:09:57โ€ฏPM8/12/08

Agreed. Own your own pkg system locally with pkgsrc or start a new
blastwave easily with pkgsrc.

David Combs

Aug 22, 2008, 1:27:25โ€ฏPM8/22/08
In article <54674af9-0689-4da3...@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,

Blastwave.org is all working fine now, and probably
has been for some time now.

I myself just used it to install something, and it worked
just fine.

NOTE: You do have to get a new pgp key.

----

The "why" for the need for the new pgp key is *very much* related
to what happened and to why he was forced to pause operations for repairs.

As I understand it, the site got hacked (that might well
not be quite the correct word, but whatever did happen,
the effect is much the same), and he's been working
his tail off to recover from it.

Eventually he'll tell us more, but for now he's trying
to not make too many waves. My understanding is
that he may eventually be forced to take some legal action.

David

David Combs

Aug 22, 2008, 1:43:00โ€ฏPM8/22/08
In article <6g40m0F...@mid.uni-berlin.de>,
Stefan Krรผger <stadt...@gmx.de> wrote:

As I understand it, he's put a whole lot of money into blastwave out of
his own pocket and bank account, and perhaps even *more* than that. :-(

And support from Sun? I gather they're putting their own
money behnd sunfreeware. ("Not Invented Here" is apparantely
a *real* downer among the sun higher-ups!)

To me that's just yet another reason to ask "what the hell do those
people at sun think they're doing!"

I think they maybe do supply blastwave some hardware (and software).

David

David Combs

Aug 22, 2008, 2:05:08โ€ฏPM8/22/08
In article <34e1606b-adb0-4dcf...@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

Hmmm.

Could I perhaps be correct in inferring from the above that this guy
is thinking of taking advantage of whatever hacking (or worse, maybe much
worse) that befell blastwave.org to perhaps set himself up
in competition to Dennis and blastwave.org?

Hmmm.

Taking advantage of disasters seems to be popular these days,
at least here in America...

Myself, I'm sticking with Dennis and "his" blastwave.org.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but for myself,
I don't think I'd feel quite right, deep down, doing anything
else.

David

David Combs

Aug 22, 2008, 2:11:51โ€ฏPM8/22/08

I agree with but a single of the above statements, which is:

>stay tuned

(Please note that I removed his (telling?) ":)".)

David

Dave Uhring

Aug 22, 2008, 2:51:12โ€ฏPM8/22/08
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:05:08 +0000, David Combs wrote:

> Could I perhaps be correct in inferring from the above that this guy
> is thinking of taking advantage of whatever hacking (or worse, maybe much
> worse) that befell blastwave.org to perhaps set himself up
> in competition to Dennis and blastwave.org?

Before showing yourself to be even more foolish, please look up who did
found blastwave.org. Hint, it was not only Dennis.

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Sep 8, 2008, 4:45:02โ€ฏPM9/8/08
On Aug 22, 11:05 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> In article <34e1606b-adb0-4dcf-a709-b17ab649a...@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

> phil.googlen...@bolthole.com <phil.googlen...@bolthole.com> wrote:
>
> >Looks like Dennis no longer wishes to make the "blastwave.org" domain
> >available to the team of non-profit volunteers who wish to continue
> >doing CSW packaging, unless he can control business access to it.
>
> Could I perhaps be correct in inferring from the above that this guy
> is thinking of taking advantage of whatever hacking (or worse, maybe much
> worse) that befell blastwave.org to perhaps set himself up
> in competition to Dennis and blastwave.org?

> Myself, I'm sticking with Dennis and "his" blastwave.org.

Your post shows that you dont understand the history of the packages
that you have enjoyed using so much up until now :-}
"This guy", (ie: me, Philip Brown) is the actual founder of CSW
packages.
Dennis, was an original sponsor of it, providing hardware, and a
domain name.
However, CSW packaging was never "his".
He sure TALKED a lot like it was, in public. but the only thing that
"belonged" to him, were the domain name, and the hardware.
He liked to talk as though "blastwave.org" and the CSW packaging
project, were interchangable, and synonymous. Which then gave people
the *impression*, that he owned/controlled/invented CSW packaging,
since he did actually own "blastwave.org".
However, this is most definitely not the case.
There are/were multiple "projects at blastwave.org". CSW was one of
them. However, it was not one that Dennis "owned".
I have run it ever since I started it.

If you doubt this, then doing a little research on older versions of
the website, with sites such as archive.org, will hopefully clear up
that misconception.
For example, comparing the various incarnations of the "about page":

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.blastwave.org/about.html

It's a bit tough to wade through all the neck-deep misdirection:
Dennis made some of the versions rather murky.
But some of them still show a little more clarity.
Such as the "history" section, shown on this archived version:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051124041518/http://www.blastwave.org/about.html

2. HISTORY

The "blastwave.org" site and build servers were born out of a
grassroots
movement which had little in the way of resources. In the
beginning,
Phil Brown set up *his* pkg-get software repository and *his*
initial set of
about 50-100 packages. [...]

Hopefully, you have a clearer view now, of what belongs to Dennis,and
what does not.

David Combs

Sep 18, 2008, 5:31:37โ€ฏPM9/18/08
In article <437b8e5d-52e3-4d39...@25g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,

Here's something else I've learned:

There's apparantely a he-said/she-said conflict in the description
of "what happened" and "whose fault".

I *think* I have this right:

Phil Brown complains that the cause of all this grief was
that Dennis Clarke took-down "Blastwave". That it was only
AFTER THAT, and in reaction to it (for benefit of sun customers)
did whatever he has done to set up an alternate service.

Dennis Clarke says that Phil Brown et al "took" software, etc
from blastwave-computers, and made other software unavailable
to him (whithout which he couldn't operate blastwave's services?),
and it was ONLY AFTER THAT that he took down blastwave, as a
way of protecting what was left, and so that he could in a few
days recover and then go back "on the air".

So it's a question of who did what WHEN.

David

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Sep 22, 2008, 2:57:50โ€ฏPM9/22/08
On Sep 18, 2:31 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> There's apparantely a he-said/she-said conflict in the description
> of "what happened" and "whose fault".
>
> I *think* I have this right:
>
> Phil Brown complains that the cause of all this grief was
> that Dennis Clarke took-down "Blastwave". That it was only
> AFTER THAT, and in reaction to it (for benefit of sun customers)
> did whatever he has done to set up an alternate service.
>
> Dennis Clarke says that Phil Brown et al "took" software, etc
> fromblastwave-computers, and made other software unavailable

> to him (whithout which he couldn't operateblastwave'sservices?),
> and it was ONLY AFTER THAT that he took downblastwave, as a

> way of protecting what was left, and so that he could in a few
> days recover and then go back "on the air".
>
> So it's a question of who did what WHEN.

actually, it's a question of what is true, and what is not. Plus some
facts that you are missing.
(Note: What i write, is related to the LATEST problems with Dennis
over the July-Sept 2008 timeframe. It does not address the problems
that he caused earlier this year, when again, he tried to remove
support for solaris 8 in future packages, and brought things to a halt
for a while then as well.)

Any actual CSW maintainers at the time (july-aug 2008), can tell you
that what you wrote (and attributed to Dennis), is not true.
"took", implies that I somehow "removed" things or disabled things
that he could previously use, from his servers. This is not true.
It might also imply that I somehow "copied without permission". This
is also not true. Dennis has no intellectual property rights to the
things I copied.

What IS true, and that you dont mention, however, is that Dennis
claimed that those people who were interested in continuing to work on
solaris 8 packages, could do so, under the domain name
"csw.blastwave.org", without any interference from him.
We had all come to an agreement, including Dennis, that those who
wished to focus on "solaris 10 and upward" packages, would work on a
"new" project in the blastwave domain, whereas those people interested
in keeping full solaris 8 compatibility, would work on "CSW".
This was supposed to be a parallel but cooperative effort. People
could work on either, or both, as they chose. Dennis had made it clear
that he was not interested in solaris 8 (and considered it a waste of
time), and was going to focus on sol10+ packages. I, in my turn, had
made it clear that I was going to focus on csw.blastwave.org, and
ignore the new project.

He then reneged on his word, when it became clear to him, that we
expected him to live up to his word, and have no control over or
involvement with machines involved in the project . We used machines
outside Dennis's control to build csw.blastwave.org, to ensure that he
could not repeat the mess he made back in may 2008.
When we made it clear that he was going to have no access to them...
*THAT* is when he shut down blastwave.org:
when we made it clear that he was no longer going to have the power to
try to force things his way, by dint of him controlling the build
machine hardware and web server related to the project.

He had previously agreed that the "main" www.blastwave.org webserver,
would have top-level references to the webserver at
csw.blastwave.org. he never followed through on that either. Rather,
when the time came to do that, and he saw the webserver we had running
there, and saw how fully complete and independant of his control it
was... he chose to exert the only "control" he had left, and yank the
csw.blastwave.org DNS name from us.

There was nothing stopping him from continuing with his planned new
solaris 10 focused packaging efforts.
He is the one that shut US down.

Dennis has apparrently thrown around accusations of "slander" against
me. The ultimate defense against slander is the truth.
Any blastwave maintainer at the time, can corroborate that what I have
said here is true.
Furthermore, if Dennis would like to give permision to publically
reproduce what he wrote on the internal maintainers list, I and others
would be happy to post the copies of the list emails that we have, as
additional corroboration.
This is not an impossible to solve "my word against his" situation. I
can PROVE that what I have said is true, by many witnesses, and his
own emails.

Message has been deleted

Rich Teer

Sep 23, 2008, 4:16:56โ€ฏPM9/23/08
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Michael Vilain wrote:

> Sounds like someone on some legal team needs to sue the pants of this
> guy and take EVERYTHING he owns--house, land, car, wife/husband, and

For the avoidance of doubt, who is "this guy"? The person you quoted
(Phil), or Dennis?

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory

URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

Message has been deleted

doofus

Sep 24, 2008, 3:51:06โ€ฏPM9/24/08
On 22 Sep, 19:57, "phil.googlen...@bolthole.com"
<phil.googlen...@bolthole.com> wrote:

> actually, it's a question of what is true, and what is not.

This may only highlight my ineptitude with search engines but I wonder
why you haven't submitted a clear and concise account of all this
somewhere so prominent that the interested user base can't miss it
(even opencsw.org). Whether or not anyone believes his account, Dennis
has at least made an effort to do this. No doubt your first loyalty
lies with like-minded package maintainers, but I imagine you must be
mightily pissed off by now with the legions of frustrated end users
speculatively taking sides based upon random of paragraphs of sniping
between both parties. As someone recently said, maybe you just don't
care.

doofus

Sep 24, 2008, 3:57:30โ€ฏPM9/24/08
On 23 Sep, 08:24, Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> Sounds like someone on some legal team needs to sue the pants of this
> guy and take EVERYTHING he owns--house, land, car, wife/husband, and
> children. Make him be alone and homeless, living out of a refrigerator
> box in Golden Gate park.

This is helpful.
Wouldn't you rather see some harmony and parallel development for the
S8-S10 and S11+ brigades?

Message has been deleted

Mark

Sep 26, 2008, 2:03:43โ€ฏPM9/26/08

> Yeah. ย I should be more careful when I post late at night.

That's good advice.

ChrisS

Sep 27, 2008, 11:50:04โ€ฏAM9/27/08
Solaris Lovers,

It would appear that Blastwave "may" die due to this situation. The
trust that customers had in the project should be checked at the door
now. Only time will tell for sure weather it survives. It's truly a
shame that a good project like Blastwave has turned ugly. Everything
is not perfect in the Open Source community after all. I'm sure it's
quite the balancing act when people are involved. That's why man
created contracts, licenses, and signed agreements.

Some companies may have been relying on this Blastwave service to
enhance the capabilities of Solaris, an already great operating
system, no matter what version they are using. The simple fact is
that if the part is true about Phil not wanting to move ahead with
Solaris 10 & 11 then he could be considered an very cranky old geek
indeed. (Who really knows, other than them and the roaches). Solaris
8 is completely dead in my eyes and Solaris 9 is nearly there as
well. We must move on, we will move on; with our without
Blastwave.Org and its bickering maintainers.

Some IT staff may find it too difficult to continue their support on
Solaris due to the lack of a good open source service provider. They
WILL move on to one of the many Linux distros. It appears that even
the Sparc processor is on it's way out the door, even though the T2
and Rock processors have and will continue to challenge the
competitors. The new Sparcs are very appealing to web/DB services.

Some admins don't have the luxury (time) to figure out how to get the
multitude of packages to play nice together. Sometimes the skillset
is not there, due to many reasons we can all relate to, if we check
our arrogance. Let's face facts, it's getting more difficult to find
talented UNIX admins and engineers. No wonder companies continue to
flock to Microsoft Windows and Linux.

This kind of crap with Blastwave will only compound the problems Sun
is having. It's a real shame too. We may find ourselves without
Solaris someday. It may just be in the history books. I'm a huge
supporter of Solaris on Sparc. There's no better way to do it
IMHO. I have limited skill-sets myself (who doesn't... really?), and
I'm considered one of the best in my area for Solaris; only because
most have moved to a Microsoft Windows flavor. The Blastwaves, and
Sun Freewares of the world has helped me and my customers over the
years to succeed in their business plans. We, the Solaris admins,
will do our best to continue the fight, but the future looks dim at
the moment for anything Sun Microsystems. A Linux flavor, though not
perfect themselves, is appealing at times, especially dealing with
Open Source Software and the complexities it brings to the table.
It's getting harder and harder to find verdors willing to build or
even port their software to Solaris.

We can't leave this for Sun to fix, they have their own issues
supporting what they have and keeping employees employed.

Just my thoughts.

Long live Solaris.

Chris

Andrew Gabriel

Sep 27, 2008, 12:25:06โ€ฏPM9/27/08
In article <b3088c55-2019-440f...@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

ChrisS <chris....@gmail.com> writes:
> Solaris Lovers,
>
> It would appear that Blastwave "may" die due to this situation. The

It looks like much of what was blastwave (and its mirrors) moved
to http://www.opencsw.org/
Blastwave itself came back online too after that, but I don't
know what the status of that is now.
I haven't tried downloading or updating anything since the split.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Richard B. Gilbert

Sep 27, 2008, 2:00:20โ€ฏPM9/27/08

If you insist on hiring only people with a college degree and five years
of experience, you may encounter some difficulty. Competent sysadmins
do not precipitate themselves from thin air! They are trained
somewhere, by someone. The training can be formal classroom training,
self study, or on the job training. I would prefer to hire someone with
formal training PLUS some on the job training. The classroom cannot
address all the problems that occur in the real world. Working
alongside a competent sysadmin can do a great deal to bring a trainee up
to speed.

David Combs

Sep 27, 2008, 9:46:13โ€ฏPM9/27/08
In article <vilain-B2D535....@news.motzarella.org>,
Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:
>In article
><eea8ec9a-b762-4920...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
>I don't trust Dennis not to pull the same stuff again. Maybe he could
>go work for Darryl McBride.

Michael -- before you commit yourself too strongly to that belief,
that it is Dennis that is at fault, that it is he who "pulled" some stunt
or fraud or whatever, you and everyone else needs to get more "facts"
about what actually happened.

Like a timeline -- that would be nice.

Or two of them, one from Phil and one from Dennis.

(I imagine they'd be different in a few places)

-----

I don't know where you are located -- USA, Canada, UK, HK, ...

In the US presidential election of 2004, the Democrat(ic) candidate,
Carey (sp?) had been in the military during the Vietnam war, his job
being to captain a big, weaponized speedboat (called a "Swift-boat")
up and down Vietnamese rivers, hunting for and engaging with (via
eg 50-cal machine gun, etc) the Viet Cong forces.

Years later, he's running for the presidency (2004).

At that point, his opposition (the Republican Party, I suppose
it was) generated a team of people, (supposedly?) who had been
on other "swift-boat" teams over there, doing the same kind of work.

Anyway, these guys claimed that many of the things he did and
was awarded medals for, he didn't do at all. You know, that
he was lying, I guess.

And these guys somehow had a lot of money with which to buy
tv-time for their what-I-will-call "Carey is a fraud" ads.

And they had a big effect -- people switched their votes
because of it.

------

Now you can ask, but didn't these voters switch back, once
Carey had laid out all the true facts, via old records,
and testimony from his own crew members, etc, etc.

Well, my understanding is that he never did that, never
defended himself, just kept quiet, assuming, I guess,
that "no one in their right mind would believe that
Cary-is-a-fraud garbage, so I'll just say nothing".

----

[NOTE: I am not at all saying that Phil in any
way resembles those swift-boat Carey-attackers. I use
the example because in 2004 it really did happen,
(Carey didn't defend himself, and partly for that reason,
he lost the election)
and every American reading these threads actually
lived through it. THAT's why I use it!]

Well, Dennis is currently being a bit like that -- not
publically defending himself to any great extent.
(A mistake, in my opinion.)

This mess has hit
him pretty hard, he tells me, he's so tired out from
working super, super hard the last few weeks to repair
the Blastwave infrastructure, writing new software

(eg a pkg-get -- says he couldn't get anyone
to give him the sources -- says the work was done
on a machine in Switzerland or somewhere over there
that wasn't under his control, ...)

getting accused of this and that (when he thinks
the guilt lies in the opposite direction, with those
who are doing the attacking)
and just didn't want to fight it any more.

(And a lawsuit? You know how much MONEY that would be,
and difficult too: he's in Canada, Phil's in the US,
other stuff and/or people are in the EU -- legally,
a real mess! "Life is just too short" kind of thing.)

Anyway, as in 2004, you have all this stuff coming from one side,
and, as I see it, little if anything from the other,
and so what's someone (like you, Michael) to believe?

Like I've said, it's a he-said, she-said -- except one of
them isn't doing much saying at all.

So, unfortunately, VERY unfortunately, you're seeing the claims
of one side only.

------

FWIW, I was in the (US) army (Engineers) for 2 years back in 66-68
(stateside, Ft Belvoir), and we got talking, and it turns out
he ending up spending a lot more than my 2-years in his army,
the group he was in being pretty "tough" (joint training with
similarly "tough" (my term) US forces, including, at times,
even the US "Seals", and indeed had to make much actual use
of that training in eg the once Yugoslavia.

The reason I pass this on is, well, he isn't, and that and
other things related to that, in my mind, at least, just
doesn't jibe with his doing the kind of things he's being
accused of.

So it is really too bad he's not putting out more to you
guys. Really is. And it's really too bad that you
and others are thinking the way you are.

-----

Anyway, Blastwave is not dead, is not dying, he's got
everything put back together, they're adding more
packages, working hard, etc.

So it's up to you whether you use it or not -- but
it's there FOR you to use.

David

PS: Did you guys know that Dennis has financed at least
the Canadian "physical" part of blastwave all by hlmself,
out of his own pocket.

(I believe he once thought he could make some money
from Blastwave's services, eg pay the rent, feed and
clothe his family, etc, but soon saw that that wasn't
going to happen. That was early on -- and nonetheless
he's continued with it, simply because blastwave was
a good and much needed service for Sun users.

Even to the extent that he was going to mortgage his
house to keep it going -- and I believe that he actually
did it -- mortgage his house, for Blastwave.)

Cheers, guys!

family,

Dick Hoogendijk

Sep 28, 2008, 3:00:19โ€ฏAM9/28/08
quoting David Combs (Sun, 28 Sep 2008 01:46:13 +0000 (UTC)):
> (I believe he once thought he could make some money
> from Blastwave's services, eg pay the rent, feed and
> clothe his family, etc, but soon saw that that wasn't
> going to happen. That was early on -- and nonetheless
> he's continued with it, simply because blastwave was
> a good and much needed service for Sun users.
>
> Even to the extent that he was going to mortgage his
> house to keep it going -- and I believe that he actually
> did it -- mortgage his house, for Blastwave.)
>
> Cheers, guys!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
At least to me they were very nice reading stuff.
I'm always very disappointed to see people who get things for free, take
this for granted can suddenly drop you hard when they feel the need too.
But that's life, I guess.

Doug McIntyre

Sep 28, 2008, 12:05:38โ€ฏPM9/28/08

My understanding it was more like he offered to host and pay for
bandwidth for other people's work. But then wanted it to go to
different areas than where the people doing the work wanted to go.

That hardly seems to be being taken advantage of getting free stuff.

Dick Hoogendijk

Sep 29, 2008, 5:03:10โ€ฏAM9/29/08
quoting Doug McIntyre (28 Sep 2008 16:05:38 GMT):

> That hardly seems to be being taken advantage of getting free stuff.

That's the problem with English not being my native language.
What I ment was that people who got things for free for a long time (I
mean the endusers here) end up yelling and writing harsh / accusing /
offending stuff about the people who made the software free available in
the first place. They don't deserve gratitude, but a little more respect
is sometimes in order (i.m.h.o.)

Thomas Glanzmann

Sep 29, 2008, 5:39:49โ€ฏAM9/29/08
Hello,
the problem with Blastwave was, that Dennis is a madman and others
tolerated his madness for way too long. It took them several years of
wrong doing from Dennis side to do what should have been done years ago.
Dennis money was never needed. The infrastrucutre could be and can be
(as you can clearly see) hosted anywhere. So the real problem were the
people that did not have the guts to speak up and tolerated the
behaviour. But in the end what happened for the end user? Absolutly
nothing. Blastwave has a new name but that's it. It is the same
infrastructure (even the master rsync mirror which generated the huge
bandwidth load is at the same location it was for a long time
(Univeristy of Erlangen, Germany)). Only the machines where the packages
are build are spread across the world. - But it doesn't matter were they
are as long as each maintainer has access to one sparc and one x86 box
(that is hard, isn't it?).

So bottom line for me from this is: If you have a major fuckup in your
team, get rid of him as soon as possible and don't give him any control.
Especially don't give him control over your infrastructure or yourself.

[ Dennis Clarke, _self nominated_ Admin and Director of Blastwave,
tolerated by others. But from a different point of view simply a madman
who talks a lot. Does most of the time absolutly nothing. And if he does
something he does it all the way wrong (technically speaking (he has
almost no hard skills; everything he touches, breaks) and nontechnical
(turning blastwave into a commercial entity is just bullshit it will
never gain enough money to live from it. And trying to make money out of
the free comunity work is just a sin). ]

What really suprises me is that how long it took for some people to open
their mouth and draw the consequences. On the other hand I'm happy for
them that they finally did.

Thomas

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Sep 29, 2008, 2:10:13โ€ฏPM9/29/08
On Sep 27, 6:46 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> (eg a pkg-get -- says he couldn't get anyone
> to give him the sources -- says the work was done
> on a machine in Switzerland or somewhere over there
> that wasn't under his control, ...)

Uh, hello... pkg-get **IS** source code It's a shellscript.
And Dennis has every single shellscript I used in production for
blastwave, still on his machines
(unless HE deleted them)
I never used custom binaries for that stuff. I write in korn shell.
It's what pkg-get is written in!!

(hint: google "korn shell programming tutorial")

> (And a lawsuit? You know how much MONEY that would be,
> and difficult too: he's in Canada, Phil's in the US,
> other stuff and/or people are in the EU -- legally,
> a real mess! "Life is just too short" kind of thing.)

Didnt stop Dennis from HARASSING ME AT MY WORKPLACE with lawyers.
The CEO(equivalent) of where I work, got contacted by our legal
department, before it all trickled down onto me.

> PS: Did you guys know that Dennis has financed at least
> the Canadian "physical" part of blastwave all by hlmself,
> out of his own pocket.

and he didnt have to. He turned down offers of free bandwidth and
hosting,etc. multiple times.
Dennis has wasted money, multiple times, in multiple ways, like this.
Spending money, and time, on things that were not needed. Then
boasting about how much money and time he has spent on blastwave.

doofus

Sep 29, 2008, 6:38:03โ€ฏPM9/29/08
On 29 Sep, 10:03, Dick Hoogendijk <d...@nagual.nl> wrote:
> quoting Doug McIntyre (28 Sep 2008 16:05:38 GMT):
>
> > That hardly seems to be being taken advantage of getting free stuff.
>
> That's the problem with English not being my native language.
> What I ment was that people who got things for free for a long time (I
> mean the endusers here) end up yelling and writing harsh / accusing /
> offending stuff about the people who made the software free available in
> the first place. They don't deserve gratitude, but a little more respect
> is sometimes in order (i.m.h.o.)

Thanks Dick. There's no need to apologise for having better English
than a sizable proportion of the natively English speaking world.

I'm an end user. For the drive and tenacity necessary to push a
worthwhile project to such prominence, I have immense respect for the
likes of Messrs Clarke and Brown. I also hold the army of dedicated
and skilful package maintainers who have worked with them in very high
regard. I wonder how much respect you think I should retain for this
band of heroes after it has deteriorated into a back-biting self
righteous mob who've left their user base high and dry for want of a
little collaboration. That the software was free doesn't seem to hold
much relevance in this regard.

doofus

Sep 29, 2008, 6:50:00โ€ฏPM9/29/08
On 29 Sep, 10:39, Thomas Glanzmann <sithg...@stud.uni-erlangen.de>
wrote:
> Hello,
> the problem with Blastwave was, that Dennis is a madman...

Thomas, you need some weed.
Or camomile tea.
=O)

Dick Hoogendijk

Oct 1, 2008, 3:43:57โ€ฏAM10/1/08
quoting doofus (Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:38:03 -0700 (PDT)):
> I wonder how much respect you think I should retain for this band of
> heroes after it has deteriorated into a back-biting self righteous mob
> who've left their user base high and dry for want of a little
> collaboration. That the software was free doesn't seem to hold much
> relevance in this regard.

If you look at it that way then I guess you have a point. Self righteous
behaviour is always the source for a lot of angry men. The end users
-are- left in the cold. I know, there's two places now where you can get
csw packages. But I have not read -any- messages convincingly enough for
me to make a choice of which one is -the one- I run solaris 10 on my
server and on that one I use quit some csw packages (all in zones).
I want to be able to do updates on those (stable) packages, but there
does not seem to be much going on (on either site).
Ah well, maybe time will tell.

doofus

Oct 3, 2008, 5:59:06โ€ฏPM10/3/08
On 1 Oct, 08:43, Dick Hoogendijk <d...@nagual.nl> wrote:

> I know, there's two places now where you can get
> csw packages. But I have not read -any- messages convincingly enough for
> me to make a choice of which one is -the one-

Neither have I, even amid the endless emotive rhetoric from both
sides.

> I run solaris 10 on my
> server and on that one I use quit some csw packages (all in zones).
> I want to be able to do updates on those (stable) packages, but there
> does not seem to be much going on (on either site).
> Ah well, maybe time will tell.

It usually does, but whatever the outcome, it seems unlikely that
anyone will emerge smelling of roses.

When I recently returned to civilization (unaware of the newly
inaugurated Blastwave Developers' Mutual Enmity Club) and built a new
s10 workstation with pkg-get script and gpg key from blastwave.org, I
quickly realised I couldn't verify a catalogue update from ibiblio
without the key from opencsw.org. Then a couple of weeks ago we get a
posting from Dennis to say "the ibiblio mirror is now fully up to
date" - but presumably we must now go back for the key from
blastwave.org. Do these people really think this an appropriate way to
treat the end user? I suggest the term "Community Software" (which
risks giving people an impression of amicable cooperation) be
temporarily dropped until some degree of stability arrives. Something
like "Arseholes-R-Us" may be more appropriate in the meantime.

Thomas Glanzmann

Oct 3, 2008, 6:52:29โ€ฏPM10/3/08
Hello,

> When I recently returned to civilization (unaware of the newly
> inaugurated Blastwave Developers' Mutual Enmity Club) and built a new
> s10 workstation with pkg-get script and gpg key from blastwave.org, I
> quickly realised I couldn't verify a catalogue update from ibiblio
> without the key from opencsw.org. Then a couple of weeks ago we get a
> posting from Dennis to say "the ibiblio mirror is now fully up to
> date" - but presumably we must now go back for the key from
> blastwave.org. Do these people really think this an appropriate way to
> treat the end user? I suggest the term "Community Software" (which
> risks giving people an impression of amicable cooperation) be
> temporarily dropped until some degree of stability arrives. Something
> like "Arseholes-R-Us" may be more appropriate in the meantime.

Dennis is running blastwave.org with one other person. The other person
is needed because Dennis lacks technical skills. There was a new gpg key
because Dennis did not release the catalog files but Phil did. So with
Phil gone, Dennis needed a new key, because he did not had access to
Phils passphrase to the key.

What was blastwave.org before is now opencsw.org. And guess what? The
gpg key is still the same even if most likely the e-mail address of the
old key will bounce or will be read by the wrong person:

(faui01) [/proj/csw/unstable/i386/5.10] gpg -d < catalog > /dev/null
gpg: Signature made Mon Sep 29 20:13:55 2008 CEST using DSA key ID E12E9D2F
gpg: please do a --check-trustdb
gpg: Good signature from "Distribution Manager <d...@blastwave.org>"
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 0BF0 9891 9340 86DC EBE3 DDFF 06A1 ED1B E12E 9D2F

Most of the old blastwave.org mirrors are now synced from
,,opencsw.org''. For details see http://www.opencsw.org/mirrors
Compare it to http://www.blastwave.org/mirrors.php

Iblio is a mirror of opencsw.org (that is why Dennis gpg key doesn't
work there).

AFAIK Dennis has one ,,maintainer'' left which means there will not be
much software releases. opencsw.org has the rest of the maintainers. But
I don't see any new packages at opencsw.org either.

Thomas

Message has been deleted

Richard B. Gilbert

Oct 5, 2008, 8:01:38โ€ฏAM10/5/08
doofus wrote:
> On 1 Oct, 08:43, Dick Hoogendijk <d...@nagual.nl> wrote:
>
>> I know, there's two places now where you can get
>> csw packages. But I have not read -any- messages convincingly enough for
>> me to make a choice of which one is -the one-
>
> Neither have I, despite the abundance of emotive rhetoric from either
> side of the newly inaugurated Blastwave Developers' Mutual Enmity
> Club.

>> I run solaris 10 on my
>> server and on that one I use quit some csw packages (all in zones).
>> I want to be able to do updates on those (stable) packages, but there
>> does not seem to be much going on (on either site).
>> Ah well, maybe time will tell.
>
> It usually does.
>
> After returning to civilization recently I built a new s10 workstation
> with a pkg-get script and gpg key from blastwave.org. It quickly
> became evident that I couldn't verify a catalogue update from the
> ibiblio csw mirror without the gpg key from opencsw.org. Then a couple
> of weeks ago Dennis posts a message telling us "the ibiblio mirror has
> now been brought fully up to date", and presumably I need to go back
> to the blastwave gpg key. Do these people think this farce is
> acceptable? I suggest the term "Community Software" (which suggests a
> project founded upon amicable cooperation) be temporarily dropped
> until some stability is achieved. "Arseholes-R-Us" might be more
> appropriate in the meantime.

Well, when ego is all you have. . . .

Things will probably get still more ridiculous before they get better!

IF they get better!!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

doofus

Oct 5, 2008, 3:51:30โ€ฏPM10/5/08
On 3 Oct, 23:52, Thomas Glanzmann <sithg...@stud.uni-erlangen.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > When I recently returned to civilization (unaware of the newly
> > inauguratedBlastwaveDevelopers' Mutual Enmity Club) and built a new
> > s10 workstation with pkg-get script and gpg key fromblastwave.org, I

> > quickly realised I couldn't verify a catalogue update from ibiblio
> > without the key from opencsw.org. Then a couple of weeks ago we get a
> > posting from Dennis to say "the ibiblio mirror is now fully up to
> > date" - but presumably we must now go back for the key from
> >blastwave.org. Do these people really think this an appropriate way to
> > treat the end user? I suggest the term "Community Software" (which
> > risks giving people an impression of amicable cooperation) be
> > temporarily dropped until some degree of stability arrives. Something
> > like "Arseholes-R-Us" may be more appropriate in the meantime.
>
> Dennis is runningblastwave.org with one other person. The other person

> is needed because Dennis lacks technical skills. There was a new gpg key
> because Dennis did not release the catalog files but Phil did. So with
> Phil gone, Dennis needed a new key, because he did not had access to
> Phils passphrase to the key.
>
> What wasblastwave.org before is now opencsw.org. And guess what? The

> gpg key is still the same even if most likely the e-mail address of the
> old key will bounce or will be read by the wrong person:
>
> (faui01) [/proj/csw/unstable/i386/5.10] gpg -d < catalog > /dev/null
> gpg: Signature made Mon Sep 29 20:13:55 2008 CEST using DSA key ID E12E9D2F
> gpg: please do a --check-trustdb
> gpg: Good signature from "Distribution Manager <d...@blastwave.org>"
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: 0BF0 9891 9340 86DC EBE3 DDFF 06A1 ED1B E12E 9D2F
>
> Most of the oldblastwave.org mirrors are now synced from

> ,,opencsw.org''. For details seehttp://www.opencsw.org/mirrors
> Compare it tohttp://www.blastwave.org/mirrors.php

> Iblio is a mirror of opencsw.org (that is why Dennis gpg key doesn't
> work there).
>
> AFAIK Dennis has one ,,maintainer'' left which means there will not be
> much software releases. opencsw.org has the rest of the maintainers. But
> I don't see any new packages at opencsw.org either.
>
> Thomas

Well, I can certainly thank you for this.
I maintain though, that no one seems to have much concern for the end
user in this fiasco. How difficult would it be to post such lucid
explanations as the one above somewhere we can read them?

Aside: I've been thinking something was broken - is it normal for
google to take two-and-a-half days days to get a post to their own
servers up onto usenet? Expect a couple of similar posts on the back
of my above rant. Time to revert to a conventional news service,
methinks...

David Combs

Oct 7, 2008, 5:53:59โ€ฏAM10/7/08
In article <52bf0$48e32a3d$524a0a9e$28...@cache3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
Dick Hoogendijk <di...@nagual.nl> wrote:

>-are- left in the cold. I know, there's two places now where you can get
>csw packages. But I have not read -any- messages convincingly enough for
>me to make a choice of which one is -the one- I run solaris 10 on my
>server and on that one I use quit some csw packages (all in zones).
>I want to be able to do updates on those (stable) packages, but there
>does not seem to be much going on (on either site).
>Ah well, maybe time will tell.

Well, Blastwave is one of them.

And Dennis (and a few others) are working their A's off --
they've already got some large number of packages (30, 40,
more? I forget.) *ready* to install, just waiting, he
says.

He didn't say what the holdup was -- I should have asked. Maybe
they're up by now?

Any idea what Phil Brown et al have done thus far with
their site? Are they putting up new packages?

(And what's happening over at sunfreeware? (lucky, they, with
Sun supporting them!))

David

David Combs

Oct 7, 2008, 6:28:45โ€ฏAM10/7/08
In article <slrnged8hd....@faui00u.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>,

Thomas Glanzmann <sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>> When I recently returned to civilization (unaware of the newly
>> inaugurated Blastwave Developers' Mutual Enmity Club) and built a new
>> s10 workstation with pkg-get script and gpg key from blastwave.org, I
>> quickly realised I couldn't verify a catalogue update from ibiblio
>> without the key from opencsw.org. Then a couple of weeks ago we get a
>> posting from Dennis to say "the ibiblio mirror is now fully up to
>> date" - but presumably we must now go back for the key from
>> blastwave.org. Do these people really think this an appropriate way to
>> treat the end user? I suggest the term "Community Software" (which

Do you think this result is what he wanted? After working for
five years (or so) on providing, for free, sun solaris packages?
Mortgaging his HOUSE!

Come on, guys, get real!

Apparently Phil had posession of the key-stuff (keys, pgp, gpg, etc
is something I know virtually nothing about), and when the phil/dennis
relationship exploded, phil somehow, I think, made the key-stuff
unavailable to Dennis. I mean, you can jump and scream and
curse and blame, but there wasn't too much, if anything at all,
that Dennis could do about it.

Hey -- what would YOU have done had YOU been in his situation, and
your key-access disappeared. How would YOU have handled it?

>> risks giving people an impression of amicable cooperation) be
>> temporarily dropped until some degree of stability arrives. Something
>> like "Arseholes-R-Us" may be more appropriate in the meantime.
>
>Dennis is running blastwave.org with one other person. The other person

Early last week he told me that "people" (plural) are joining up.

>is needed because Dennis lacks technical skills.

Huh? Lacks technical skills?

Doesn't sound right to me, given our conversations.

Although maybe you're right -- what makes you think this?

Thanks!

There was a new gpg key
>because Dennis did not release the catalog files but Phil did. So with
>Phil gone, Dennis needed a new key, because he did not had access to
>Phils passphrase to the key.

There you are. At that point, what do YOU think he should have done?

>What was blastwave.org before is now opencsw.org.

I don't know:

Maybe dennis would say that what was blastwave "property" before
was taken/lifted/stolen/... (you fill in the right word)
by virtue of the fact (I think) that this stuff originally
resided on (and was distributed out to the mirrors from)
this computer in Switzerland, which was somehow at least
partially controlled/owned/who-knows-what by Phil and friends.

And they apparantely acted or said something like "this
stuff here, called "Blastwave", or "owned by Blastwave", or whatever,
is NOW owned/controlled/whatever by "CSW Inc" (or whatever
Phil's operation's legal name is).

And guess what? The
>gpg key is still the same even if most likely the e-mail address of the
>old key will bounce or will be read by the wrong person:
>
>(faui01) [/proj/csw/unstable/i386/5.10] gpg -d < catalog > /dev/null
>gpg: Signature made Mon Sep 29 20:13:55 2008 CEST using DSA key ID E12E9D2F
>gpg: please do a --check-trustdb
>gpg: Good signature from "Distribution Manager <d...@blastwave.org>"
>gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
>gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
>Primary key fingerprint: 0BF0 9891 9340 86DC EBE3 DDFF 06A1 ED1B E12E 9D2F
>
>Most of the old blastwave.org mirrors are now synced from
>,,opencsw.org''. For details see http://www.opencsw.org/mirrors
>Compare it to http://www.blastwave.org/mirrors.php

What, they've unilaterally taken control of those too?

If true, first I've heard of it. (I thought they were "independendent" entities?)

>Iblio is a mirror of opencsw.org (that is why Dennis gpg key doesn't
>work there).
>
>AFAIK Dennis has one ,,maintainer'' left which means there will not be

Like I say, that's not what I hear from Dennis.

>much software releases. opencsw.org has the rest of the maintainers. But
>I don't see any new packages at opencsw.org either.
>
> Thomas

You know, I wonder what's "in it" for these guys?

And why are they so angry, even hateful.

I watch (live tv, cspan) the Clinton impeachment stuff --
some of this stuff here reminds me of those "house managers".

(I'm not going to say anything about those "house managers" (true
believers in Republicanism and in charge of implementing
the impeachment) -- did anyone else see it? How would you
describe those house-managers? Nice guys? Guys you'd want
over for dinner? Or as husbands for your daughters? :-) )

Really, anybody watch that amazing show?

David

PS: I say CHEERS FOR DENNIS -- AND BLASTWAVE!

And he's working his tail off for all you guys who're reading this.

David Combs

Oct 7, 2008, 6:37:38โ€ฏAM10/7/08
In article <98c3b6b6-8e76-4b17...@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,

doofus <tumbl...@fastmail.net> wrote:
>On 1 Oct, 08:43, Dick Hoogendijk <d...@nagual.nl> wrote:
>> I know, there's two places now where you can get
>> csw packages. But I have not read -any- messages convincingly enough for
>> me to make a choice of which one is -the one-
>
>Neither have I, even with the enlightening counsel of Glanzmann:
>
> "this is the usual bullshit that comes out of Dennis mouth. Just
>ignore it."
>
>and Vilain:

> "some legal team needs to sue the pants of this guy and take
>EVERYTHING he owns--house, land, car, wife/husband, and children."

Wasn't there something he said in that posting about his
wanting his wife to be RAPED?

>> Ah well, maybe time will tell.
>

>I'm sure it will. What do we do until then? Continue to laugh at the
>emotive rhetoric flying between either side of the newly inaugurated
>Blastwave Developers' Mutual Enmity Club.

Parton me, but from what I've been reading here for the last
several weeks, **ALL** the HATE (worse even than in Orwell's 1984's
"HATE WEEK") seems to be coming from ONE side only? Why?

David

Richard B. Gilbert

Oct 7, 2008, 7:33:12โ€ฏAM10/7/08
to David Combs

Everything published here appears to be rumors reported by third
parties. Do the principals read this newsgroup? Does it really matter
who did what and with which and to whom?

Message has been deleted

Willie

Oct 7, 2008, 4:31:09โ€ฏPM10/7/08
On 2008-10-07, David Combs <dkc...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <slrnged8hd....@faui00u.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>,
> Thomas Glanzmann <sith...@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>> When I recently returned to civilization (unaware of the newly
>>> inaugurated Blastwave Developers' Mutual Enmity Club) and built a new
>>> s10 workstation with pkg-get script and gpg key from blastwave.org, I
>>> quickly realised I couldn't verify a catalogue update from ibiblio
>>> without the key from opencsw.org. Then a couple of weeks ago we get a
>>> posting from Dennis to say "the ibiblio mirror is now fully up to
>>> date" - but presumably we must now go back for the key from
>>> blastwave.org. Do these people really think this an appropriate way to
>>> treat the end user? I suggest the term "Community Software" (which
>
> Do you think this result is what he wanted? After working for
> five years (or so) on providing, for free, sun solaris packages?
> Mortgaging his HOUSE!

In itself, this is utterly irrelevant.

> Apparently Phil had posession of the key-stuff (keys, pgp, gpg, etc
> is something I know virtually nothing about), and when the phil/dennis
> relationship exploded, phil somehow, I think, made the key-stuff
> unavailable to Dennis.

I too have had a fairly tenuous understanding of what went on with the
key. It's probably best to stick to aspects of the debate you do
understand. Or matters of principle.

> You know, I wonder what's "in it" for these guys?

Which guys?

> And why are they so angry, even hateful.

You seem to be one of the angriest people around here.
"Disappointment" would best describe what I feel.

> PS: I say CHEERS FOR DENNIS -- AND BLASTWAVE!

Well good for you.

> And he's working his tail off for all you guys who're reading this.

And I'm sure he'll be pleased to know you're rooting for his corner.

Richard Gilbert was probably on track with his comment about egos.

If, as he tells us, Dennis Clarke felt so personally driven to provide
a worthwhile service for the benefit of the solaris community, I would
have expected him to maintain a reasonable grasp of the opinions and
views of the people who were holding the project together with him.

If Phil Brown's business acumen is abyssmal enough to allow himself,
as "the founder of the project", to be usurped by a another chap just
because the sparcstations reside in that chap's attic, then maybe he's
not so brilliant afterall.

Not that I hold these shortcomings against either of them; it's the
unholy mess that's followed I have trouble with. No matter though, I
quite sure neither of them cares about that.

Richard B. Gilbert

Oct 7, 2008, 4:33:46โ€ฏPM10/7/08
Willie wrote:
> On 2008-10-07, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilb...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> David Combs wrote:
>>> Parton me, but from what I've been reading here for the last
>>> several weeks, **ALL** the HATE (worse even than in Orwell's 1984's
>>> "HATE WEEK") seems to be coming from ONE side only? Why?
>> Everything published here appears to be rumors reported by third
>> parties. Do the principals read this newsgroup? Does it really matter
>> who did what and with which and to whom?
>
> Of course it matters - to a large number of inconvenienced Blastwave
> users (I'd like to know how big that number actually is).
> Unfortunately this inconvenience seems rooted to the bottom of the
> priority list of the "principles", who are evidently more preoccupied
> with their differences.

And how are you going to put things back together?

FWIW "principals" and "principles" are two different words.
"Principals" is correct in this context!

"Principal n. 2. A main participant in given situation"

Willie

Oct 7, 2008, 4:50:51โ€ฏPM10/7/08
On 2008-10-07, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Willie wrote:
>>> Everything published here appears to be rumors reported by third
>>> parties. Do the principals read this newsgroup? Does it really matter
>>> who did what and with which and to whom?
>>
>> Of course it matters - to a large number of inconvenienced Blastwave
>> users (I'd like to know how big that number actually is).
>> Unfortunately this inconvenience seems rooted to the bottom of the
>> priority list of the "principles", who are evidently more preoccupied
>> with their differences.
>
> And how are you going to put things back together?

I don't understand what you're asking me here. I'm powerless to do
anything about the current blastwave debacle.

> FWIW "principals" and "principles" are two different words.
> "Principals" is correct in this context!

100% correct - My typo.

Richard B. Gilbert

Oct 7, 2008, 5:06:47โ€ฏPM10/7/08
Willie wrote:
> On 2008-10-07, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilb...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Willie wrote:
>>> Of course it matters - to a large number of inconvenienced Blastwave
>>> users (I'd like to know how big that number actually is).
>>> Unfortunately this inconvenience seems rooted to the bottom of the
>>> priority list of the "principles", who are evidently more preoccupied
>>> with their differences.
>> And how are you going to put things back together?
>
> I don't understand what you're asking me here. I'm powerless to do
> anything about the current blastwave debacle.

<snip>
Getting some substitute for Blastwave running should not be too
difficult. As I see it, the only real problem is who's going to pay for
the bandwidth. I think we are talking about something like "T1" service
here and, the last time I looked, T1 cost something like $700/month.
That's a real killer!

Ian Collins

Oct 7, 2008, 5:10:32โ€ฏPM10/7/08
Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> Getting some substitute for Blastwave running should not be too
> difficult. As I see it, the only real problem is who's going to pay for
> the bandwidth. I think we are talking about something like "T1" service
> here and, the last time I looked, T1 cost something like $700/month.
> That's a real killer!

That's just a matter of $, getting maintainers is the really hard part.
The key to Blastwave's success was the pool of maintainers.

--
Ian Collins.

Richard B. Gilbert

Oct 7, 2008, 8:05:23โ€ฏPM10/7/08
to Ian Collins

Maybe I missed something. I thought this whole mess was because someone
named "Phil" and someone named "Dennis" had a shoot out; these two being
the key individuals behind Blastwave. Did the maintainers have a
shootout as well?

Ian Collins

Oct 7, 2008, 8:58:36โ€ฏPM10/7/08

I've no idea, but they'll probably have to back one horse or the other.

My badly made point was it's the people doing the work who really
matter, rather than the hardware. Just like many businesses, the most
valuable and undervalued asset is the staff.

--
Ian Collins.

Thomas Glanzmann

Oct 8, 2008, 12:49:56โ€ฏAM10/8/08
Hello,

> Getting some substitute for Blastwave running should not be too
> difficult. As I see it, the only real problem is who's going to pay
> for the bandwidth. I think we are talking about something like "T1"
> service here and, the last time I looked, T1 cost something like
> $700/month. That's a real killer!

there is this new technology called ,,rsync''. You can run the main
blastwave mirror from my dsl account at home, that I have anyway for the
total amount of 50 ยค / month. But the thing is the main mirror of
blastwave (now called opencsw.org) is intact and very well connected
(30Mb/s and more). And Dennis user account seems to be removed which
means that we don't have to recover the content from backups in the
future.

Thomas

Thomas Glanzmann

Oct 8, 2008, 12:53:17โ€ฏAM10/8/08
Hello Richard,

> Maybe I missed something. I thought this whole mess was because
> someone named "Phil" and someone named "Dennis" had a shoot out; these
> two being the key individuals behind Blastwave. Did the maintainers
> have a shootout as well?

than you misunderstood something here. It wasn't Phil vs. Dennis. It was
Dennis that wiped the master rsync mirror using ,,rm -rf'' which is
located at the university of erlangen, he lost his account hours later
on that machine and we recovered from backups that Dennis had no access
to. After that it was Dennis vs. ,,the rest of the world''. Blastwave
was forked of to opencsw.org most of the mirrors stayed with the core
crew.

Thomas

Ian Collins

Oct 8, 2008, 3:04:18โ€ฏAM10/8/08
[[lease don't snip attributions]

--
Ian Collins.

phil.go...@bolthole.com

Oct 9, 2008, 8:42:44โ€ฏPM10/9/08
On Sep 18, 2:31 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> So it's a question of who did what WHEN.

A few people have posted gripes/questions/(etc) about the lack of an
"official" statement of that sort of thing, from the OpenCSW group.

So, here is one for folks, in a nice easy place to remember, that wont
get lost amoungst other usenet articles:

http://www.opencsw.org/history

There is no "opinion" expressed in the above page. It is 100% factual
history, provable by a trail of emails, and witnessed by many
maintainers.

Those who still have doubts about which camp to follow, should read
this page. I think it should clear up any remaining doubts.

Ian Collins

Oct 9, 2008, 9:12:32โ€ฏPM10/9/08
phil.go...@bolthole.com wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2:31 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
>> So it's a question of who did what WHEN.
>

> A few people have posted gripes/questions/(etc) about the lack of an
> "official" statement of that sort of thing, from the OpenCSW group.
>
> So, here is one for folks, in a nice easy place to remember, that wont
> get lost amoungst other usenet articles:
>
> http://www.opencsw.org/history
>
> There is no "opinion" expressed in the above page. It is 100% factual
> history, provable by a trail of emails, and witnessed by many
> maintainers.

I see you have neglected to mention all of our (the list members)
earlier discussions on the Solaris x86 list, which include the origin of
the name "CSW".

--
Ian Collins

Thomas Glanzmann