Solaris 10 - change IP address

newsgroups.comcast.net

Nov 9, 2005, 9:08:54 AM11/9/05
Can someone help me with this problem:

I am trying to change the IP address on a Sun Ultra-10, with a fresh Solaris
10 installation.
(Solaris 10 was installed on another machine using a new hard drive to
replace the existing drives on the destination Ultra-10)
I try manually changing the address in /etc/hosts, ifconfig <new-ip> and
everything is fine until I reboot the machine, then it reverts back to the
original IP address.
I have also tried using the Solaris Management Console configured as the
Primary Administrator Role - this appears to do the same thing, changes the
IP address in /etc/hosts but does not set the address on the NIC (hme0).
The only method that seems to work is "sys-unconfig", then I have to
re-supply all the network information to include defaultrouter, resolv.conf,
etc.

There appears to be some new file somewhere that is referenced during the
boot process that is over-riding the value stored in /etc/hosts.

Can anybody offer any help with this?

Thanks,

Steve

j.go...@mobilcom.de

Nov 9, 2005, 9:13:01 AM11/9/05
newsgroups.comcast.net <steve...@comcast.net> wrote:
> There appears to be some new file somewhere that is referenced during the
> boot process that is over-riding the value stored in /etc/hosts.

That would be /etc/hostname.hme0 - normally containing the hostname, but
it can also contain the IP address (a bit faster at boot).

HTH,
Jens
--
Jens Goerke, mobilcom Server Systeme
Postadresse: Mobilcom, Hollerstr. 126, 24782 Buedelsdorf

Gary Mills

Nov 9, 2005, 9:32:16 AM11/9/05

>There appears to be some new file somewhere that is referenced during the
>boot process that is over-riding the value stored in /etc/hosts.

That would be /etc/inet/ipnodes .

--
-Gary Mills- -Unix Support- -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

newsgroups.comcast.net

Nov 9, 2005, 9:59:13 AM11/9/05
That's it, Thanks for the help.

Steve