Outgoing authentication for Sendmail on 5.0.7

Steve M. Fabac, Jr.

Nov 22, 2010, 5:56:31 PM11/22/10
I found the following in the /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file:

# default authentication information for outgoing connections
#O DefaultAuthInfo=/usr/lib/mail/default-auth-info

# SMTP AUTH flags
#O AuthOptions

But I can't find in the SCO documentation how to set up outgoing
authentication for sendmail.

I have a client that moved to an outside service using MS Exchange
and the service requires that the nightly backup reports I
e-mail to myself be authenticated. I have set up smart host
in sendmail.cf but the messages are rejected with "unable to relay."

> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- smf...@swbell.net
> (reason: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay)

Any way I can set up outgoing authentication to satisfy the e-mail provider?

--
Steve Fabac
S.M. Fabac & Associates

Pepe

Nov 22, 2010, 6:10:44 PM11/22/10

Does the section "Using sendmail as a client with AUTH" in here help?

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

Steve M. Fabac, Jr.

Nov 22, 2010, 6:17:36 PM11/22/10
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

I tried to set up default-auth-info from an example I found but then
when I stopped and started /etc/rc2.d/P86sendmail I get:

# /etc/rc2.d/P86sendmail stop
# /etc/rc2.d/P86sendmail start
Warning: Option: DefaultAuthInfo requires SASL support (-DSASL)
#

What's the next step as the client is running the SCO sendmail 8.11 without
any way to compile the a new sendmail.cf from an .mc file?

Pepe

Nov 22, 2010, 7:30:51 PM11/22/10
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> What's the next step as the client is running the SCO sendmail 8.11 without
> any way to compile the a new sendmail.cf from an .mc file?

Why can't you compile a *.cf from a *.mc file? Don't you have m4 in the
system?

Rick_Hoyle

Nov 23, 2010, 1:39:07 PM11/23/10

If you only need outbound mail for your own needs (i.e. the Client
isn't using the SCO box as their primary mail server), then I would
look at an alternate mail client. I've been using "sendEmail" for a
few Clients where we just need to push out an alert based on some
program/OS condition. It's easy to script around it.

http://www.sfr-fresh.com/unix/privat/sendEmail-v1.56.tar.gz:a/sendEmail-v1.56/README

Steve M. Fabac, Jr.

Nov 24, 2010, 11:01:58 AM11/24/10

Thanks Rick. That did the trick. I modified my scripts to call a
wrapper as /usr/local/bin/umail which has the embedded -f, -xu,
and -xp fields:

# cat /usr/local/bin/umail
#
#Simple Email:
# sendEmail -f m...@gmail.com \
# -t fri...@yahoo.com \
# -s smtp.gmail.com:587 \
# -xu m...@gmail.com \
# -xp MY-PASSWORD \
# -u "Test email" \
# -m "Hi buddy, this is a test email."

sendEmail -q -f unix...@client.com \
-s mail.exmx.net -xu xxx...@clinet.com -xp XXXXXX $1 $2 $3
#

Then modify the mail commands in my logging/reporting
scripts:

umail "-t smf...@swbell.net" "-u This is a test of new wrapper" < /tmp/mail$$