asroot and kill

tyler...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2005, 8:12:18 PM7/19/05
Hey there! Teensie bit of help wanted...I am trying to assign a user
the privilege to kill processes. Unfortunately, I am not able to find
such in the scoadmin utility (OpenServer 5). Using asroot gets me
"Sorry, not authorized to run kill." I am not hugely familiar with
this flavour of UNIX, and aren't able to really find useful help via
Google. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Tyler (tyler AT kinotox DOT com dot garbagetofoolspambots)

John DuBois

Jul 19, 2005, 9:25:56 PM7/19/05

<tyler...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey there! Teensie bit of help wanted...I am trying to assign a user
>the privilege to kill processes. Unfortunately, I am not able to find
>such in the scoadmin utility (OpenServer 5). Using asroot gets me
>"Sorry, not authorized to run kill."

That generally means that you didn't set up asroot permissions/authorizations
for a command properly. Did you follow the directions in the asroot(ADM) man
page?

John
--
John DuBois spc...@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

Brian K. White

Jul 19, 2005, 9:55:05 PM7/19/05

Did you man asroot?
It requires a few not obvious steps to set up a given command to be useable
by asroot and then allow a given user to use that command, but they are
described in man asroot pretty clearly.

I boiled the man page down to these 4 lines of shell script,
I actually tested this by cutting & pasting the 4 lines all at once and
pasting it right into a terminal, so the awk command is good. ;)

cp /bin/kill /tcb/files/rootcmds/kill
cp /etc/auth/system/authorize /tmp/a
awk -F : '{if($1=="root") print $0",kill";else print $0}' /tmp/a
>/etc/auth/system/authorize
fixmog

now you can go into scoadmin account manager,
highlight a user
tab up to the users menu
authorizations
unselect "use system default..."
on the right-hand side scroll all the way down and and hit Enter on kill
tab to the ok button and save & get out

and now that user can run "/tcb/bin/asroot kill 23874"

/tcb/bin is not in users PATH by default. It is in roots path by default.
You could deal with the path a few ways. It's probably better to make a
symlink of asroot into /usr/bin or somewhere or just use the full path in
commands like above rather than add /tcb/bin to users PATH's since there is
other stuff in /tcb that's best left root only.

Brian K. White -- br...@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/

Brian K. White

Jul 19, 2005, 10:08:35 PM7/19/05

> I actually tested this by cutting & pasting the 4 lines all at once and
> pasting it right into a terminal, so the awk command is good. ;)
>
> cp /bin/kill /tcb/files/rootcmds/kill
> cp /etc/auth/system/authorize /tmp/a
> awk -F : '{if($1=="root") print $0",kill";else print $0}' /tmp/a
> >/etc/auth/system/authorize
> fixmog

The awk line wrapped.
fixmog is the next and last command all by itself
this version should be safe from wrapping and is also cut-pasteable:

cp /bin/kill /tcb/files/rootcmds/kill
cp /etc/auth/system/authorize /tmp/a
awk -F : '{if($1=="root") print $0",kill";else print $0}' \
/tmp/a >/etc/auth/system/authorize
fixmog

Brian K. White -- br...@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/

Tony Lawrence

Jul 20, 2005, 5:17:51 PM7/20/05

See http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1asroot.html
and http://aplawrence.com/newtosco.html

--
Tony Lawrence
Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

Logos

Jul 21, 2005, 12:27:43 PM7/21/05
Thanks! Got it all squared away. Much obliged for the help & links!

Tyler