Excellent: Bjarne Stroustrup's new book

Tony Lawrence

Jan 18, 2009, 10:14:59 PM1/18/09
http://aplawrence.com/Books/programming_principles_cpp.html

Programming Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup

(I don't usually post my book reviews here but every now and then
something is so good I want to let as many people know as possible)

This is a "beginners" programming book for C++. It's about 1200 pages,
and that alone probably made its first editors wince. Big books are
expensive to produce and end up carrying big price tags. The editors
surely groaned in pain when told that the author also intended to use
color liberally throughout the text - and not just as informative
markers here and there, but also for photographs! That costs even more
production money.

If the editors had such feelings, they probably had to keep their
mouths firmly shut. You know the phrase "He wrote the book on it?".
Well, in the world of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup not only wrote the book
(The C++ Programming Language), he also wrote the C++ language itself.
I imagine that if he had wanted it bound in leather and gold leaf,
that's what would have happened.

Really, this is a programming course that happens to use C++ as its
language. It is simply superb - so good that you might want it even if
you have already learned C++. Yes, it's really that good.

It's written in a conversational style, first person, with plenty of
advice, warnings, intelligence and even humor. I just got this a day
or so ago; obviously I haven't pored through every page, but I've read
enough and skimmed enough else to suspect that this is destined to
become a classic.

Did you wonder why they'd be photographs in a programming book?
Because it includes a "Programming language history overview" - just
one of the many things you wouldn't expect. As noted, this uses color
effectively and liberally, but I think the most important thing is
that it is definitely NOT a dry, boring, pedantic "learning
programming" book. This book is alive with color, and I don't just
mean the ink that may have caused groans from the editors and
accountants.

Very, very good. No hesitation in recommending this one.

Jens Stueckelberger

Jan 18, 2009, 10:33:35 PM1/18/09
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:14:59 -0800, Tony Lawrence wrote:

> This is a "beginners" programming book for C++. It's about 1200 pages,

Not unexpected for that monstrosity that is C++.