installing SCO on proliant ML310 G5p E8400

John Kuiper

Nov 6, 2009, 5:19:34 AM11/6/09
Hello,

Can anybody tell me the difference about the G5 and G5p?
The G5 series is SCO 6 supported using the mpt driver, but my system
will not install it. Even psp-7.811a is not giving the results I need.

There's always a problem with drivers on SCO.

Regards,
John Kuiper

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Nov 6, 2009, 7:45:30 AM11/6/09

Unless you need high-end performance from your SCO system, don't
bother. Install VMWare, either VMWare ESX or a decent Linux with
VMWare Workstation (which lacks some features and performance tuning
of ESX but is a lot cheaper and you can use the Linux for other
things), and install the OpenServer as a virtualized guest. This works
well, from my experience with 5.0.4a and other older OpenServer
systems, and you can stop worrying about driver compatibility.

Given SCO's bankruptcy, it's the only way to be assured of continuing
to have hardware support for SCO operating systems, until and unless a
miracle occurs, they stop playing the lottery on ill-founded lawsuits,
and actually try to make product.

John Kuiper

Nov 6, 2009, 9:21:35 AM11/6/09
Are you serious? How do you run a server with virtual SCO.
I have to connect several window clients and scanners on the server.
It's not an issue.

If they were bankrupt, how do they release new updates of SCO6 and
virtual SCO and set their website up to date.

SCO 5.04 can't read disk greater then 9 GB.

John

John Kuiper

Nov 6, 2009, 9:30:58 AM11/6/09
More information.
The disccontroller is an intel 82801GR. SCO tells that this controller
will be emulated to IDE if the AHCI will not be found. Created an HBA
cdrom and load it into the installation (option more HBA drivers to
yes). But the disk will not be found. Also created an IDE714g HBA cdrom,
but no results.
I found out that the G5p is an stripped of version of the G5. SCO is
certified on it. If it is a DOA, Fedora 10 will not install / run on it.
It has something to do with SCO6.

On this moment I'm out of resources. Is there anyone else running SCO6
on the ML310 G5p?

Regards,
John

John Kuiper

Nov 6, 2009, 10:28:19 AM11/6/09
More information.

SCO6 find the disk. If I choose another install disk, it will give me
this option:

(IDE,1) Generic IDE/ATAPI : c0b0t0l0 : GB0250EAFYK HPG1:

When everything is configured and prepared, SCO will not copy the data
to the disk, because a popup will be on screen:

Fatal error: a failure occured while trying to set up the harddisk:
- the harddisk of diskcontroller is damaged
- the data cable between disk and controller is damaged
- the external bus (if any) is incorrectly terminated

So var so good, but I have no option right now. Anybody else does?

Tony Lawrence

Nov 6, 2009, 10:45:04 AM11/6/09
On Nov 6, 9:21 am, John Kuiper <jkui...@thematec.nl> wrote:
> Are you serious? How do you run a server with virtual SCO.
> I have to connect several window clients and scanners on the server.
> It's not an issue.

Yes, he's serious. You'll lose some performance, but right now that's
the smartest choice - assuming that you can't make the real smartest
choice, which is to move to Linux.

It's remotely possible that SCO will win their suit and survive.
Anything can happen in a courtroom and while their case may look
ridiculous to us on the outside, a non-technical judge can interpret
things much differently. I don't expect that to happen, but it could.

BUT - even if does, SCO remains a lousy choice. They are always way
behind on technology and their management seemingly is bent on ticking
off anyone who might want to deal with them in spite of that.

Good luck anyway :-)

Bill Campbell

Nov 6, 2009, 2:35:26 PM11/6/09
to sco-...@lists.celestial.com
On Fri, Nov 06, 2009, Tony Lawrence wrote:
>On Nov 6, 9:21�am, John Kuiper <jkui...@thematec.nl> wrote:
>> Are you serious? How do you run a server with virtual SCO.
>> I have to connect several window clients and scanners on the server.
>> It's not an issue.
>
>Yes, he's serious. You'll lose some performance, but right now that's
>the smartest choice - assuming that you can't make the real smartest
>choice, which is to move to Linux.

I doubt that there will be any performance loss given that the
current SCO system is probably running on ancient and slow
hardware while the VM is running on much faster hardware.

The SCO VMs we have installed are actually much faster than they
were on the original hardware. We make snapshots of the SCO
system after installation and any system updates, and have good
backups of the data that are easy to reload which simplifies
recovery in case of problems. Moving a VM to another server is
easy as well.

>It's remotely possible that SCO will win their suit and survive.
>Anything can happen in a courtroom and while their case may look
>ridiculous to us on the outside, a non-technical judge can interpret
>things much differently. I don't expect that to happen, but it could.

Never underestimate the ability of the U.S. ``Legal'' system to
do the wrong thing. One could ask how much of SCO's assets have
gone to feeding land sharks, not to mention those of Novell, IBM,
AutoZone, Red Hat, and other victims of SCO's litigation.

Bill
--
INTERNET: bi...@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820

More laws, less justice. -- Marcus Tulius Ciceroca (42 BD)

Tony Lawrence

Nov 6, 2009, 3:40:48 PM11/6/09
On Nov 6, 2:35 pm, Bill Campbell <b...@celestial.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009, Tony Lawrence wrote:
> >On Nov 6, 9:21 am, John Kuiper <jkui...@thematec.nl> wrote:
> >> Are you serious? How do you run a server with virtual SCO.
> >> I have to connect several window clients and scanners on the server.
> >> It's not an issue.
>
> >Yes, he's serious.  You'll lose some performance, but right now that's
> >the smartest choice - assuming that you can't make the real smartest
> >choice, which is to move to Linux.
>
> I doubt that there will be any performance loss given that the
> current SCO system is probably running on ancient and slow
> hardware while the VM is running on much faster hardware.

Oh, absolutely.

I think it's funny how people worry about performance when replacing
something from the mid 1990's. You could take a fire-breathing
monster from then and outrun with a lame modern IDE system.

John Kuiper

Nov 9, 2009, 3:12:00 AM11/9/09
Problem solved. The new boot cd (march 2006) and the HBA MP4 did the trick.