SCO 506 running as vmware guest, inbound net services

Bob Meyers

Nov 19, 2007, 6:45:24 PM11/19/07
OK some of you wanted to know if I got it working. Yes, I now have SCO
506 running as a guest on an Ubuntu host. I changed the network
interface from NAT to bridged, using same IP address and gateway as
the linux host. Everything works outbound just fine.

If, for example, I want to have inbound SSH access to SCO guest OS, I
assume the SCO must use a different port than the standard port so as
not to interfere with host use. I seem to recall there is a config
file I need to edit to inform vmware what ports to use, but now I
can't find the reference. Is that right?

If I wanted inbound ssh to map to SCO guest ssh service, do you recall
what and where is config file I must edit?

Glenn

Nov 19, 2007, 9:43:52 PM11/19/07
Bob Meyers wrote:
> OK some of you wanted to know if I got it working. Yes, I now have SCO
> 506 running as a guest on an Ubuntu host. I changed the network
> interface from NAT to bridged, using same IP address and gateway as
> the linux host. Everything works outbound just fine.

Bridged is fine but you NEED to give the SCO guest a different unused IP
than the ubuntu host. For example if the ubuntu's IP is 192.168.0.100
you need to give the SCO guest an IP like 192.168.0.101 ( just make sure
it is not in use by another PC on your network). If they are both set
to the same IP I am surprised anything is working.

> If, for example, I want to have inbound SSH access to SCO guest OS, I
> assume the SCO must use a different port than the standard port so as
> not to interfere with host use. I seem to recall there is a config
> file I need to edit to inform vmware what ports to use, but now I
> can't find the reference. Is that right?
>
> If I wanted inbound ssh to map to SCO guest ssh service, do you recall
> what and where is config file I must edit?

I am not sure what you are asking here. You would just ssh to the IP
you assign to the SCO guest using standard ports. In the above example:
ssh us...@192.168.0.101
There is nothing special to set up. The SCO guest can't be the same as
any other IP on your network of course. Bridged basically means that
both the host and the guest will share the same physical card but they
each use their own network settings. Does your ubuntu host just have
one NIC on a private subnet? Are you running iptables or some form of
firewall on the ubuntu NIC? Maybe I am misunderstanding your set up.

Glenn

Bob Meyers

Nov 20, 2007, 3:28:08 AM11/20/07
On Nov 19, 6:43 pm, Glenn <ve...@i.hate.spam.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
> Bob Meyers wrote:
> > OK some of you wanted to know if I got it working. Yes, I now have SCO
> > 506 running as a guest on an Ubuntu host. I changed the network
> > interface from NAT to bridged, using same IP address and gateway as
> > the linux host. Everything works outbound just fine.
>
> Bridged is fine but you NEED to give the SCO guest a different unused IP
> than the ubuntu host. For example if the ubuntu's IP is 192.168.0.100
> you need to give the SCO guest an IP like 192.168.0.101 ( just make sure
> it is not in use by another PC on your network). If they are both set
> to the same IP I am surprised anything is working.
>

> > If, for example, I want to have inbound SSH access to SCO guest OS, I
> > assume the SCO must use a different port than the standard port so as
> > not to interfere with host use. I seem to recall there is a config
> > file I need to edit to inform vmware what ports to use, but now I
> > can't find the reference. Is that right?
>
> > If I wanted inbound ssh to map to SCO guest ssh service, do you recall
> > what and where is config file I must edit?
>
> I am not sure what you are asking here. You would just ssh to the IP
> you assign to the SCO guest using standard ports. In the above example:
> ssh u...@192.168.0.101

> There is nothing special to set up. The SCO guest can't be the same as
> any other IP on your network of course. Bridged basically means that
> both the host and the guest will share the same physical card but they
> each use their own network settings. Does your ubuntu host just have
> one NIC on a private subnet? Are you running iptables or some form of
> firewall on the ubuntu NIC? Maybe I am misunderstanding your set up.
>
> Glenn

Yes! Success! inbound/outbound on different IP address! Thanks all
that helped!

Bela Lubkin

Nov 19, 2007, 8:53:28 PM11/19/07
Bob Meyers wrote:

> > > OK some of you wanted to know if I got it working. Yes, I now have SCO
> > > 506 running as a guest on an Ubuntu host. I changed the network
> > > interface from NAT to bridged, using same IP address and gateway as
> > > the linux host. Everything works outbound just fine.

[Glenn tells you to use different IP address for the VM than the host...]

> Yes! Success! inbound/outbound on different IP address! Thanks all
> that helped!

I would never have thought of trying what you tried before Glenn
replied! I'm surprised it actually worked at all -- if the VM had the
same IP address as the host, I don't know how the packets would have
gotten routed to the VMware hosting environment to be able to receive
replies to your outbound IP packets.

To reiterate:

With NAT, your VM uses DHCP to get an IP address from the virtualization
environment's DHCP server. This is a purely internal address that
should not be seen by any other host. The hosting environment
translates the VM's packets from [private IP:port] to [host's IP:some
other port], the rest of the universe thinks it's just talking to some
process on the host.

With Bridged, your VM gets set up with a _different_ IP address on the
same subnet as the host. By "gets set up" I mean either you give it an
IP address you know is free; or you set the VM up for DHCP, its DHCP
query goes out to your network's DHCP server, it gets assigned a
standard available address from your DHCP pool. The host tells the rest
of the local network that your VM's IP address can be found at [host's
ARP address]. Any nearby routers notice that and learn to send packets
for your VM to the host.

To the rest of the net, the situation is not readily distinguishable
from a situation where your host is routing packets to a different
physical host. It might have two ethernet cards, the second one plugged
into a private LAN that only goes to your VM(s). It might be doing
SL/IP or some other serial/parallel port protocol, or who knows what
else. All it looks like is, your host is bridging packets to some other
private LAN.

>Bela<

Paul Dembry

Dec 5, 2007, 3:21:54 PM12/5/07
I also can get SCO 505 running on vmware but my problem is that I cannot
find all my license packs. Obviously I have them since my sco runs. Does
anyone know how/where I can get the license keys from my existing system?
Paul