Mc Donalds dumps SCO

1 view

FyRE

Jun 11, 2004, 7:26:02 AM6/11/04
http://www.novell.com/news/leadstories/2004/jun7/

Couldn't help grinning at this announcement. SCO's biggest (maybe
only?) remaining customer dropping them like a bad habit in favour of
a modern operating system.

Of course it may also be the increasingly attrocious quarterly
results, lack of any software development, and fear of SCO suing them,
as SCO have with so many of their other current/former customers. It's
hardly a good idea to have all your eggs in the SCO basket now anyway;
with earnings down *52 percent* in a year, profits going from a few
million, to minus 15 million, and a spiralling legal bill their burn
rate has exceeded the most irresponsible dot.coms from the '90s.

After a bitter row, the 2 main investors cut their losses and bailed
out, so now SCO have no financial backing, are not likely to encourage
any more, no friends in the IT industry, certainly none in the
opensource camp, and a very poor product line, virtually unsupported
by modern technology. Add to this the fact they're suing their own
customers, openly lying about the customers they claim they do have
and betting the company on maybe the flimsiest legal case in IT
history and as the 8-ball would say "Outlook not good". No wonder
their stock slumped another 10 percent after the horrendous quarterly
results Darl was forced to reveal yesterday - SCO stock is now under 5
bucks.

Finally all the financial reporters are waking up to the stock scam,
with Motley Fool describing SCO as an "abysmal mess", and ridiculing
their "Linux licensing" extortion scam that cost over $4,000,000, and
brought in revenues of $11,000 - less than the earnings of the guy who
mows the lawns on the reporter's street:

http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/040610/1086881820_2.html

Darl's really earning his $1,000,000 paycheck ;-)

--
FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >

Mike Brown

Jun 11, 2004, 1:19:50 PM6/11/04
FyRE wrote:

> http://www.novell.com/news/leadstories/2004/jun7/
>
> Couldn't help grinning at this announcement. SCO's biggest (maybe
> only?) remaining customer dropping them like a bad habit in favour of
> a modern operating system.

Maybe you have more info than the link above provides, but there was no
mention of dropping anything, SCO included. A short description would
be McDonalds Germany has been using SuSE since 1999 for servers and are
very happy.

> Of course it may also be the increasingly attrocious quarterly
> results, lack of any software development, and fear of SCO suing them,
> as SCO have with so many of their other current/former customers. It's
> hardly a good idea to have all your eggs in the SCO basket now anyway;
> with earnings down *52 percent* in a year, profits going from a few
> million, to minus 15 million, and a spiralling legal bill their burn
> rate has exceeded the most irresponsible dot.coms from the '90s.

I would guess from the SCO roadmap that software developement has increased
over the last two years.

> After a bitter row, the 2 main investors cut their losses and bailed
> out, so now SCO have no financial backing, are not likely to encourage
> any more, no friends in the IT industry, certainly none in the
> opensource camp, and a very poor product line, virtually unsupported
> by modern technology. Add to this the fact they're suing their own
> customers, openly lying about the customers they claim they do have
> and betting the company on maybe the flimsiest legal case in IT
> history and as the 8-ball would say "Outlook not good". No wonder
> their stock slumped another 10 percent after the horrendous quarterly
> results Darl was forced to reveal yesterday - SCO stock is now under 5
> bucks.

Did Baystar sell their shares? I thought they actually bought up all the
share from the Royal Bank investment arm. IIRC, a rumour stated that Baystar
was not happy with TSG investing in the O/S, and wanted all the effort
directed at the lawsuits. So I guess SCO is spending on software development.

> Finally all the financial reporters are waking up to the stock scam,
> with Motley Fool describing SCO as an "abysmal mess", and ridiculing
> their "Linux licensing" extortion scam that cost over $4,000,000, and
> brought in revenues of $11,000 - less than the earnings of the guy who
> mows the lawns on the reporter's street:

I though some US ISP purchased far more than $11,000.00 in O/S
licenses in one purchase.

> http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/040610/1086881820_2.html
>
> Darl's really earning his $1,000,000 paycheck ;-)
>
> --
> FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >

--
Michael Brown

The Kingsway Group

J. L. Schilling

Jun 12, 2004, 9:44:31 AM6/12/04
FyRE <Fy...@toktik.demon.ku.oc.x> wrote in message news:<pr4jc0976755ekbqu...@4ax.com>...
> http://www.novell.com/news/leadstories/2004/jun7/

McDonalds uses SCO systems in each of their franchise
restaurants.

This article describes McDonalds using SuSE systems as
"edge of network" servers within their central corporate
data center.

Two different things.

Jonathan Schilling

scooter6

Jun 14, 2004, 4:24:25 PM6/14/04
jlsels...@my-deja.com (J. L. Schilling) wrote in message news:<ff3c0649.04061...@posting.google.com>...

Just another indication that FyRE has nothing better to do with his
time.
After looking at several posts today on various things, all I see if
FyRE bad-mouthing anything having to do with SCO.
If you don't like it...don't support it or use it....then just leave
already for Pete's sake....geez.....it's way too old reading all your
flames on the subject of SCO. I think we all know by now how you
feel....so go join another newsgroup and leave already. Your points
are not rocket science...we get the point...
Enough already......

Scott Ullmann
sull...@telespectrum.com

Scott Burns

Jun 14, 2004, 6:27:06 PM6/14/04
Mike Brown wrote:

>FyRE wrote:
>

>>Finally all the financial reporters are waking up to the stock scam,
>>with Motley Fool describing SCO as an "abysmal mess", and ridiculing
>>their "Linux licensing" extortion scam that cost over $4,000,000, and
>>brought in revenues of $11,000 - less than the earnings of the guy who
>>mows the lawns on the reporter's street:
>>

>I though some US ISP purchased far more than $11,000.00 in O/S
>licenses in one purchase.

SCO said 7 figures.
11,000.00
12 345 67

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to ponder why they felt
the need to count the cents :)

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems