using sco as a mail server

Rick

Dec 5, 2006, 5:58:36 PM12/5/06
hi all,

i admin an sco 5.0.6 box for a small company. we have another admin that
handles the windows servers on our network.

right now all of our mail is handled thru an exchange server. all users have
outlook as their mail client.

is there a way, and if so, how, that i can bypass the exchange server and
send and receive my email thru my sco box using sendmail or one of the other
mail mta's.

all suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

tia

Brent Bolin

Dec 5, 2006, 7:29:47 PM12/5/06

I assume you still want to use the Exchange server internal. If not
There is no reason to use Exchange. There are many other MAU's other
then Exchange. That also includes Outlook Express that is free(with
the o/s).

Setup "Internet mail" on your clients. Set the smtp server to your SCO
box. It's been a while you might need to change the delivery order.

You will need to setup DNS on the SCO box. Mail(MTA) is usually not
very happy without working DNS.

Tony Lawrence

Dec 6, 2006, 7:32:38 AM12/6/06

Rick wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i admin an sco 5.0.6 box for a small company. we have another admin that
> handles the windows servers on our network.
>
> right now all of our mail is handled thru an exchange server. all users have
> outlook as their mail client.
>
> is there a way, and if so, how, that i can bypass the exchange server and
> send and receive my email thru my sco box using sendmail or one of the other
> mail mta's.

Bypass? Simply change the clients (Outlook, whatever) to use POP on
the SCO box.

See http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/mail.html for the rest.

However: this is a case where I really would not recommend using SCO.
Set up a little Linux box to do this - it doesn't have to be very
beefy; mail is not much of a load at all (I've run 300 user mail
servers on teeny little desktop machines).

A LOT of articles and posts about mail (SCO and Linux) at
http://aplawrence.com/cgi-bin/indexget.pl?Mail

--
Tony Lawrence
Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources