Need BASIC interpreter / compiler

Joe Foster of Borg

Apr 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/22/95
In article <3n66ao$j...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, szb...@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Robert Barbieri) writes:

> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new
> computer system, and retain its custom software (unfortunately all written
> in BASIC). They want to purchase SCO UNIX, but will only do so if it is
> possible to obtain BASIC. If anyone out there knows of any third party
> UNIX BASIC vendors, please e-mail me. I would really appreciate any help
> that I can get. Thanks in advance!

> P.S. I already called SCO, and they had no suggestions. I know, I know,
> BASIC is out, but it's the simplest and cheapest solution to the problem
> at hand.

Is Basmark still in business? I once read something about their
having a UNIX BASIC, maybe. Anyway, there are more dialects of
BASIC than you can shake a compiler at, so even if you can find a
UNIX BASIC, it might not run your client's code anyway. Set them
up with a DOS/Windows emulator, just in case.

Oh yeah, you posted a UNIX question to the XENIX newsgroup, so
I'll crosspost and followup-to biz.sco.unix and
comp.unix.sco.misc.

[oh, for the good old days of 4-line .sigs!]

--
Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!

Jim McQuillan

Apr 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/23/95
}> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
}> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new
}> computer system, and retain its custom software (unfortunately all written
}> in BASIC). They want to purchase SCO UNIX, but will only do so if it is
}> possible to obtain BASIC. If anyone out there knows of any third party
}> UNIX BASIC vendors, please e-mail me. I would really appreciate any help
}> that I can get. Thanks in advance!

Dynamic Concepts, Inc. makes UniBasic which is a Basic Interpreter that
works well with SCO UNIX.

--

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Jim McQuillan 1855 Midland Rd.

Keith Smith

Apr 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/23/95
In article <52...@bftsi0.uucp>, Joe Foster of Borg <j...@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
>In article <3n66ao$j...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, szb...@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Robert Barbieri) writes:
>
>> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
>> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new

Microsoft BASIC for SCO Xenix.

>> P.S. I already called SCO, and they had no suggestions. I know, I know,
>> BASIC is out, but it's the simplest and cheapest solution to the problem
>> at hand.
>
>Is Basmark still in business? I once read something about their
>having a UNIX BASIC, maybe. Anyway, there are more dialects of

Yep QuickBASIC or Something but.

>BASIC than you can shake a compiler at, so even if you can find a
>UNIX BASIC, it might not run your client's code anyway. Set them
>up with a DOS/Windows emulator, just in case.

I use BASIS Business BASIC. Definately different, but also a very
powerful interpeter with some features that make debugging a breeze.

>[oh, for the good old days of 4-line .sigs!]
>
>--
>Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
>because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!
>--
>Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
>because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!

Then yours doubled :)

--
Keith Smith <ke...@ksmith.com> Free Usenet News/Newsfeeds
Digital Designs (910) 423-4216/7389/7391

Kirk B. Spadt

Apr 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/25/95
(Robert>Barbieri) writes:

> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new

> computer system, and retain its custom software (unfortunately all written
> in BASIC). They want to purchase SCO UNIX, but will only do so if it is
> possible to obtain BASIC. If anyone out there knows of any third party
> UNIX BASIC vendors, please e-mail me. I would really appreciate any help
> that I can get. Thanks in advance!

If the BASIC your client is using is an IBM midrange (System/36 or AS/400) or
mainframe BASIC, the solution below will work well. If it is a PC Basic, the
other solutions already posted will be more appropriate.

I have been using Workstation Basic (WB) by Application Development Systems, a
small company in Royal Oak, Michigan, on an SCO Unix platform. They are at
(810) 547-3300.

Four years ago, I converted an application written in IBM System/36 Basic to
SCO using WB and am very happy with the quality of the Workstation Basic
interpreter. I selected WB because it was written as a migration path
for users of IBM System/23 and System/36 systems, and the compatibility
was very high. ADS's System/36 to Workstation Basic conversion tool was very
incomplete, however. I ended up writing my own conversion program.

If I can assist, please feel free to contact me by phone or email.

Kirk

Kirk B. Spadt ksp...@keyware.com
Keyware Systems, Inc.
570 Lindsey Drive (610) 964-9530