TA#1013 Rescue-Ranger for SCO OSR6

Lone Star Software

Feb 1, 2007, 9:20:12 PM2/1/07

The message below is intended for users of LONE-TAR(tm).
Please do not post on any news groups or public forums.

RESCUE-RANGER(tm)
Technical Support Update
Article #1013
PROTECT YOUR DATA
February 01, 2007
(c)2007 Lone Star Software Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

To view this document in html on our website, please go to:

http://www.cactus.com/index.php?p=techfeed13

Lone Star Software's "Technical Support Update" is designed
to notify you of any Bug Reports, Support Issues, New Product
Announcements and Product Updates.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please reply with
REMOVE in the "Subject" line.

Notice of Availability

RESCUE-RANGER beta for SCO OpenServer 6

1. RESCUE-RANGER for SCO OpenServer 6 (OSR6) is available
for beta testing.

2. Features include:
a. Creation of bootable CD recovery media.
b. Fully automated restore.

3. The beta release of RESCUE-RANGER is shipping with the
latest version of LONE-TAR v4.2.2 for SCO OpenServer 6,
which can be downloaded here:

http://www.cactus.com/index.php?p=download

4. As with all disaster recovery media it is imparative to
complete a LONE-TAR bit level verified MASTER backup and
test RESCUE-RANGER boot media. Boot your system from this
media and select the "test" option from the main menu.

5. RESCUE-RANGER v0.0.7-beta for OSR6 is only to be relied
upon for recovery at your own risk. We look forward to
receiving your feedback, so please test thoroughly.

6. To provide feedback, error reports, feature requests and
to sign up for notification of the current status of this
beta release please email:

be...@cactus.com

-------------- COPYRIGHT & TRADEMARK CREDITS ---------------

o LONE-TAR, AIR-BAG, RESCUE-RANGER are registered trademarks
of Lone Star Software Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
o TAPE-TELL, CRONY, WEBINIZED, BLT, LASO and LTX are
trademarks of Lone Star Software Corp.
o All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the
property of their respective holders.

---------------------------- END ---------------------------

Message has been deleted

John Schmidt

Feb 2, 2007, 10:41:08 AM2/2/07
Nobbut Laikin wrote:

<snip rantings>

> Of course, the only practical recourse I have is to expose you and your
> company's misconduct to public ridicule.

I hate to break it to you Chuckles, but only one person was exposed to
public ridicule by your post (hint: it wasn't Jeff.)

Did you have an extra bowl of Insanios for breakfast this morning?

JS

Steve Lancour

Feb 2, 2007, 12:17:49 PM2/2/07
Nobbut Laikin wrote:
> Dear Mr Hyman,
>
> Today I received an ILLEGAL unsolicited commercial email on a
> yahoo.co.uk address, contrary to Section 22 of the Privacy and
> Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

Hey, Jeff,

Great product. Saved my butt more than once. Send me e-mail
announcements any time.

Steve Lancour

ThreeStar

Feb 2, 2007, 1:24:41 PM2/2/07

The announcement included directions on how to unsubscribe, which is
what U.S. law and Sections 22 and 23 of the EC Directive requires.
Seems asier than posting a rant.

Claiming that someone did something "illegal" is called a libel. It's
not clear to me that Section 22 in fact forbids sending a notice about
a SCO backup product to people who have invited communications about
SCO by posting on a SCO Usenet group (if that's what Cactus did). In
a US Court (but not in jolly old England) the poster could at least
make the contrary argument to defend himself from a libel claim.

--RLR

RedGrittyBrick

Feb 2, 2007, 3:15:07 PM2/2/07
ThreeStar wrote:
>> Nobbut Laikin wrote:
>>> Dear Mr Hyman,
>>> Today I received an ILLEGAL unsolicited commercial email on a
>>> yahoo.co.uk address, contrary to Section 22 of the Privacy and
>>> Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
>
> The announcement included directions on how to unsubscribe, which is
> what U.S. law and Sections 22 and 23 of the EC Directive requires.

The EC directive requires much more than that (but IANAL).

> Seems [e]asier than posting a rant.

Agreed. The rant seemed daft to me. It certainly doesn't put me off
buying products from Jeff Hyman.

> It's
> not clear to me that Section 22 in fact forbids sending a notice about
> a SCO backup product
> to people who have invited communications about
> SCO by posting on a SCO Usenet group

It is clear to me that when I post to c.u.s.m. It does *not* mean that I
agree that every commercial vendor of SCO related products may send
e-mail to my personal (non-work) email address. I'm pretty sure that
whoever drafted the EC directive would agree:

It says its OK only if ...
(a) that person has obtained the contact details of the
recipient of that electronic mail in the course of the
sale or negotiations for the sale of a product or service
to that recipient;
(and a couple of other conditions must be satisfied too)

That clearly isn't the case If, for example, I post a message in
c.u.s.m. saying "The shutdown command in OSR507 is `shutdown -y -g0`".
That surely doesn't count as "in the course of sale or negotiations for
the sale of a product or service".

> (if that's what Cactus did).

I credit Jeff Hyman with more sense than to indiscriminately harvest
email addresses from c.u.s.m. for unsolicited commercial email. One or
other party may have made an honest mistake.

> In
> a US Court (but not in jolly old England) the poster could at least
> make the contrary argument to defend himself from a libel claim.

This jolly old Englishman wonders where exactly you're going with this
seemingly xenophobic argument :-)

Bill Vermillion

Feb 3, 2007, 11:05:01 PM2/3/07
In article <2007020202...@lonestar.cactus.com>,

Lone Star Software <tech...@cactus.com> wrote:

> The message below is intended for users of LONE-TAR(tm).
> Please do not post on any news groups or public forums.
HMM! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now who would have done that :-)

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Jeff Hyman

Feb 5, 2007, 6:29:03 PM2/5/07

Mon Feb 5 18:04:49 EST 2007

Nobbut Laikin,

1. I too do not appreciate receiving unsolicited email.
I am responsible for sending the technical article.
Sorry you received the 'techfeed' email.
2. Your email address has now been removed by adding it to
a list we use here named "MUST_REMOVE", which is a final
step prior to queing up email.
3. When we receive a reply with subject header "REMOVE"
will assure the email address gets added to this exclusion
list. I did not see this in your header so I added your
email address to the "MUST_REMOVE" file.
4. Your email address came from internal sources only, all of
which are NOT created by going out and trying to grab as many
email lists as possible just for the sake of having quantity
vs quality.
5. Since 1979, we do NOT swap or sell our email list with other
companies. If we exibit at a trade show, there may be an
opportunity where the facility makes attendees email
addresses available to exibitors. I have done this in the past.

| In contempt for you, your company, and of course your odious business
| partners 'The SCO Group',
| -Nob

PS: SCO is not my business partner.
Please do not take this opportunity to blame SCO for
anything my company has done. I hope you're not taking
advantage of my mistake to satisfy any bad feelings you
have againt SCO. We all make mistakes from time to time
including YOU. A simple reply with "REMOVE" on the subject
header would have saved you lots of time and keystrokes.
I'll let your threat slide about me selling my email list...
to you having a bad day. I have bad days too.

PPS: Please excuse any typos. I do make them from time to time.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey Hyman, CEO/President
Email: je...@cactus.com
.--.
Lone Star Software Corp | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
509 E. Ridgeville Blvd. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
Mt. Airy, MD 21771 |___. |_| | 24x7 Support Available
301.829.1622 | .___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
http://www.cactus.com | | Disaster Recovery Software
| |

Nobbut Laikin typed (on Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 12:54:29PM +0000):