cannot clone drive

1 view

cubangeek

Feb 21, 2007, 11:13:38 PM2/21/07
I'm a Computer Consultant. I mainly do Unix/Linux (and some Windows)
systems.

I have a new client who owns a pizza parlor. The system consists of:

Gateway 2000 Server (Pentium 166).
2.1 Gig IDE HD
Dumb Terminals to access the database. (4 Terms)

He wants me to Install a newer Server with a larger drive.

The system boots directly into a PICKS/OS shell, and I can only access
the canned menu for the pizza database.

My problem is that without the root password I cannot get into the
system. I tried cloning the HD with ghost, Acronis, PartMagic, I even
tried dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc under Linux--to no avail. The
resulting cloned drive fails to boot and gives no error.

I tried mounting the partition in Linux the drive's bootable partition
in Linux fdisk shows up as /dev/hdb4, and that is all that is in the
drive.

Any ideas as to how I can clone the disk or mount the fs so I can copy
the data.

/* Carlos */
/* SpyderWebWorks.net */

dickfo...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2007, 12:19:54 PM2/22/07

SCO has a facility to create bootable recovery floppies, but not
having the 'root' password is going to keep you from doing this and
most basic admin things with this box. You're most likely missing the
correct boot information and you've taken the obvious approaches to
cloning the system. Another "cloning" method utilizes "AirBag"s from
the CTar companies (UniTrends, LoneTar, and MicroLite) allowing you to
re-image the SCO system w/o having to re-install everything. You just
have to make sure the target system's disk controller drivers are
installed before migrating . . . . ah, but that requires 'root' access
too. =8^(

The 'root' password is critical . . . . . . your customer has no
knowledge of it? What about the previous company that supported him?

Try mounting the SCO disk on your linux system, then copy the SCO '/
etc/shadow' file (for backup purposes), edit the shadow file, and
remove 'root's password. If you have a account on the SCO system copy
the password from that account into 'root's password field in the
shadow file.

MJ

Walter Vaughan

Feb 22, 2007, 1:26:01 PM2/22/07
cubangeek wrote:
> I'm a Computer Consultant. I mainly do Unix/Linux (and some Windows)
> systems.

> He wants me to Install a newer Server with a larger drive.

> The system boots directly into a PICKS/OS shell, and I can only access
> the canned menu for the pizza database.

Do you even know what a Multivalued Database is? In your case it might be
configured as the operating system AND application. It can be hosted on
Unix/Linux/Windows, but it also could be controlling the format of the hard
drive, and all you are going to do is waste a lot of time getting no where.

Start here...
http://www.u2ug.org/

You'll find lots of help, and people willing to help.

Y Moreno

Feb 23, 2007, 11:31:49 AM2/23/07

PICK was an OS/Database system having nothing to do with Unix.

http://www.jes.com/cdp/cdp_faqx.html

I suggest you google or find an elder programmer that used it.

--
Ygnacio Moreno.

Remove 'The' and 'Obvious' from email to respond.