samba - vista - smbclient

Ron Kirschner

Sep 10, 2007, 6:41:29 PM9/10/07
Can anyone help re following:

I am trying to print to a shared Vista printer over a VPN using Sonicwall
Global VPN client and each attempt results in the following error:

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_OK

If I use the smbclient -L option, I get following:

# smbclient -L \\ralph-pc
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000] Server=[Windows
Vista (TM) Business 6.0]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[LTL] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6000]
Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Business 6.0]

Server Comment
--------- -------
RALPH-PC

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
LTL

scoace

Sep 19, 2007, 2:25:38 PM9/19/07

Are you trying to use anonymous login? Set up a user account and
password
and try "smbclient -L \\ralph-pc -Uusername".

Mike

Ron Kirschner

Sep 20, 2007, 11:57:52 AM9/20/07
I had already tried that - authenticated user or anonymous had same result

"scoace" <mi...@tkg.ca> wrote in message

ThreeStar

Sep 20, 2007, 1:02:53 PM9/20/07
On Sep 20, 8:57 am, "Ron Kirschner" <r...@jedron.com> wrote:
> I had already tried that - authenticated user or anonymous had same result
>
> "scoace" <m...@tkg.ca> wrote in message

Doesn't Vista by default like Windows 2003 not support the NTMLv2
security that Samba's using? I don't know if it's just a registry
hack to turn it on if it's something programmatic.

--RLR

Ron Kirschner

Sep 20, 2007, 3:08:52 PM9/20/07
Already found and changed that setting. This seems to be a problem with the
VPN client only, as local printers share Okay.

"ThreeStar" <s...@3starsoftware.com> wrote in message

Brian K. White

Sep 20, 2007, 3:41:00 PM9/20/07

There is more than one problem, though they are related or maybe they are
really the same root cause but it shows up a couple different ways that
don't look related from the outside.

I got a new laptop with vista recently and tried to use the vista backup
util to do a backup to a samba share on an opensuse box. There were some new
authentication issues at first which I got past in a few minutes and I had
vista able to create dirs and files on the share in explorer no problem. But
the backup util tickles something that most other things don't happen to
tickle and so the backup kept failing. That turned out to be fixed by a more
recent version of samba.

Very recent versions of samba can handle Vista by default, older ones can
have a patch applied and recompiled, (though if you can recompile, might as
well just compile the latest version instead), still older versions (and all
other smb servers like facetwin and visionfs) can work but require a setting
change in the vista machine. I think it's not even necessary to use regedit
do change the setting.

Just google samba vista or samba vista backup and read all about it.
Although, discard the beginnings of most web forum threads where it's
discussed and "answered", a lot of the early answers are wrong, as are a lot
of the problem reports where the person doesn't actually know what problem
he has and describes it in terms of what he thinks is going on instead of
strictly in terms of what he did and saw. I guess I could have retraced my
steps when I wanted to use windows backup to write a backup of a new laptop
to a samba share, and provided the end result directly by now instead of
writing this paragraph. Sorry. :)

One nice thing about Linux, when hit this issue, it only took me a few
minutes to google up that samba version x.y.z (days or weeks old) and later
addresses the issue, and then find and install the nice effortless (days or
weeks old) rpm for my distribution and cpu type, and proceed to do the
backup. The total interruption was only a few minutes.

Brian K. White br...@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR

Brian K. White

Sep 20, 2007, 8:12:41 PM9/20/07

Sep 24, 2007, 9:14:52 AM9/24/07
> filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!- Hide quoted text -

I've always installed samba as a SCO Unixware package. I downloaded
the latest version, but am unsure how to proceed from here. Can
anyone provide insight to this.