GNU + BSD = ?

Chet Ramey

Feb 10, 1988, 6:58:42 PM2/10/88
Here's some of what Richard Stallman has to say about the next version
of BSD Unix. Apparently the GNU versions of make, awk, and sh will
appear in the next release from Berkeley.

In the part of the message I omitted, he talks about libraries
(apparently a full set), a mailer to replace sendmail (but what are
the restrictions on sendmail? I thought you could always FTP the
latest version from Berkeley, and that it contained no AT&T code to
begin with), a gprof replacement, and a c++ compiler, most of which
are in final stages of development or beta testing. He also talks
about using the mach kernel from CMU after the Berkeley code that is
not declared free is rewritten.

Comments?