Request for opinions about a new Unix book

Harley Hahn

Jan 13, 1992, 2:02:13 PM1/13/92
I would like your opinions.

I am writing a new Unix book, to be published by McGraw Hill,
entitled "A Student's Guide to Unix".

The book is designed for Unix users at colleges and universities:
the focus is on what students need to know.

-- a comfortable introduction to Unix
-- practical knowledge
-- an easy to understand reference

I would like your opinion as to what topics you think a book like
this should contain. In particular, I would like to talk with:

(1) Students and former students: What would help you the most?
What do first-time Unix users need to know?

(2) Teachers and instructors: What would you like to see in a
book for your students?

(3) Help-desk consultants: What will be the most useful to the
general college Unix community?

If you would like to correspond with me on this topic I will be
pleased to do so. If you would like to send even a simple note,
such as "Don't forget to talk about editing scripts", please do
so. If you would like to volunteer to review the manuscript let
me know.

If any of you have read my last Unix book -- published as Peter
Norton's Guide to Unix (Bantam) -- and have any suggestions or
corrections, please let me know. The Norton book is oriented
towards the business and PC community and System V. This book is
oriented towards the college community and BSD.

Thanks for your help. You may mail to me at:

har...@engrhub.ucsb.edu

You may send regular mail to:

220 El Monte Drive
Santa Barbara, CA 93019