The great BSD name-off...

Robert Withrow

Apr 10, 1992, 1:15:36 PM4/10/92
As some other bright, intelligent, forward thinking person already
suggested (bright, intelligent, forward thinking because that person
suggested a name I had already thought of ;-) ), I think

FREEB (Prounounced free-b, for Free BSD)

would work great!

--
---
Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA

Peter da Silva

Apr 13, 1992, 10:28:41 AM4/13/92
"Free S D" or "Freenix".
--
/F{findfont exch scalefont setfont}def /S{moveto show}def /T{/Times-Roman F}def
8 T(Ferranti International Controls Corporation)24 28 S(+1 713 274 5180)24 12 S

Karl Lehenbauer

Apr 13, 1992, 12:09:03 PM4/13/92
In article <id.57...@ferranti.com> pe...@ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>"Free S D" or "Freenix".

Pnix or Penix, because I like the thought of a really obscene-sounding Unix...
--
-- Email in...@NeoSoft.com for info on getting Internet access.
"Trust me. I know what I'm doing." -- Sledge Hammer

Patrick K. Ferrick

Apr 13, 1992, 12:47:09 PM4/13/92

There's something that's been sort of bothering me about some of the name
suggestions I've seen posted lately, and I wonder if anyone else agrees: I'd
prefer that whatever name gets chosen doesn't include the word "free" or
suggest it.

Of course, the "freeness" is why we're all so excited about it, and that's
great. But let's keep in mind that it's only free because a LOT of people
have put an enormous amount of work into creating it. The Jolitz clan is at
the head of the list, and it is obvious that many other talented people are
keeping themselves quite busy also.

What I'm getting at is that calling it FreeB or whatever, while very clever,
tends to discount all this effort. "Free" makes it sound like it isn't worth
much to begin with. I think that most would agree that this is about as far
from a "you get what you pay for" situation as it possibly could be...we'll
all (hopefully) be using 386/BSD for a long, long while.

IMHO,
pat

Peter da Silva

Apr 13, 1992, 4:10:26 PM4/13/92
In article <1992Apr13.1...@acsu.buffalo.edu> fer...@acsu.buffalo.edu (Patrick K. Ferrick) writes:
> There's something that's been sort of bothering me about some of the name
> suggestions I've seen posted lately, and I wonder if anyone else agrees: I'd
> prefer that whatever name gets chosen doesn't include the word "free" or
> suggest it.

OK, how about suggesting the other meaning of free: liberated? "Liberix",
or "Openix" (Karl could go for that), or "Anarchix", or "Liberated Software
Distribution" (LSD).

Pete Holsberg

Apr 14, 1992, 1:07:06 PM4/14/92
In article <1992Apr13.1...@NeoSoft.com> ka...@NeoSoft.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
=In article <id.57...@ferranti.com> pe...@ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
=>"Free S D" or "Freenix".
=
=Pnix or Penix, because I like the thought of a really obscene-sounding Unix...

Great. Then we'll have Pnix envy on computers!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800 Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

Rick Odeen

Apr 14, 1992, 5:32:10 PM4/14/92
In article <id.EG...@ferranti.com> pe...@ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>OK, how about suggesting the other meaning of free: liberated? "Liberix",
>or "Openix" (Karl could go for that), or "Anarchix", or "Liberated Software
>Distribution" (LSD).

How about "Berkeley Free Distribution" (BFD).

--
"MINIX costs $169, but the license allows | Rick Odeen
making two backup copies, so the effective | rod...@buddha.ncc.umn.edu