Cannot shutdown as normal user (X11 / GNOME, FreeBSD 7.2)

Johan Förberg

Jan 26, 2010, 11:30:21 AM1/26/10

Iv'e a problem with X11 / GNOME on FreeBSD 7.2. If this is not the
proper group to post this, would you please direct me?

I have conigured FreeBSD to start gdm when I boot, and then gdm to log
me in as a normal (wheel) user. Everything works out well, except when I
want to shutdown the computer, GNOME only gives me the option to
'suspend' or 'hibernate', and all those options acutally do are log me
out. The built-in help system directs me to an internet site which
returns 404 not found. I have googled the problem, but not found
anything relevant.

Is there any alternative to # shutdown now ? I have gathered that
running X11 as root is a bad thing.

Version info:
gnome2-2.26.0
gdm-2.26.0_1

Johan F�rberg

Patrick Lamaizière

Jan 26, 2010, 12:04:25 PM1/26/10
Johan F�rberg :

> I have conigured FreeBSD to start gdm when I boot, and then gdm to log
> me in as a normal (wheel) user. Everything works out well, except when I
> want to shutdown the computer, GNOME only gives me the option to
> 'suspend' or 'hibernate', and all those options acutally do are log me
> out. The built-in help system directs me to an internet site which
> returns 404 not found. I have googled the problem, but not found
> anything relevant.

You can try this to allow hald to shutdown :

OTH.

Warren Block

Jan 26, 2010, 3:38:22 PM1/26/10

Gnome may be different, but for xfce4, I use this:

Add a proc entry in /etc/fstab:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

Add matches to /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf:

<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
<return result="yes"/>
</match>
<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
return result="yes"/>
</match>

That would allow all users. It could be set to work for specific users
(untested):

<match user="myuser1|myuser2">
...as above...
</match>

Warren Block

Jan 26, 2010, 3:46:01 PM1/26/10
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
> Johan Förberg <jo...@forberg.se> wrote:
>>
>> Iv'e a problem with X11 / GNOME on FreeBSD 7.2. If this is not the
>> proper group to post this, would you please direct me?

Forgot to add a link to the FreeBSD HAL FAQ:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

Giorgos Keramidas

Jan 27, 2010, 6:09:18 PM1/27/10
On 26 Jan 2010 20:38:22 GMT, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
> Gnome may be different, but for xfce4, I use this:
>
> Add a proc entry in /etc/fstab:
>
> proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
>
> Add matches to /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf:
>
> <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
> <return result="yes"/>
> </match>
> <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
> return result="yes"/>
> </match>
>
> That would allow all users. It could be set to work for specific
> users (untested):
>
> <match user="myuser1|myuser2">
> ...as above...
> </match>

This should work for hald-controlled environments. I just checked and
saw that our X11 chapter in the Handbook does not include an example of
"PolicyKit.conf" options for shutdown/reboot. I'll try to add one.

Johan Förberg

Jan 28, 2010, 6:47:28 PM1/28/10
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:38:22 +0000, Warren Block wrote:

> Add a proc entry in /etc/fstab:
>
> proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
>
> Add matches to /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf:
>
> <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
> <return result="yes"/>
> </match>
> <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
> return result="yes"/>
> </match>

Thank you! That seems to have solved the problem.

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:09:18 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> This should work for hald-controlled environments. I just checked and
> saw that our X11 chapter in the Handbook does not include an example of
> "PolicyKit.conf" options for shutdown/reboot. I'll try to add one.

Yes, that is be a good idea. I can't imagine I'm the only one having this
problem.