Enabling mobile broadband for Dell D830 Novatel 5520 card

Niklas R

Jul 4, 2010, 9:01:33 AM7/4/10
How? Tried with ppp it won't. Here's the spec http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/user/delld830/
Top prio enable 3G connect via APN to service provided using a
terminal window and AT command

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","online.telia.se",,0,0
or like current provider said today

AT+CGDCONT=10,,"online.telia.se"
for networking using '*99#'.(Novatel 5520 wireless mobile broadband
builtin SIMcard) to try with ppp or likewise

Rob Warnock

Jul 4, 2010, 9:12:47 PM7/4/10
Niklas R <nikl...@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
+---------------

I have an old Sierra Wireless AC860 PCMCIA card [which replaced an
earlier Ericsson GC82] which I have been using for years on an H-P
Pavilion ze4560us, running FreeBSD versions 4.9, 4.10, and now 8.0.
Oh, and with an AT&T cellular data plan. A few "lessons learned"
which might be helpful:

0. Use "user-mode PPP" rather than any kernel-resident version,
since you need to be able to issue & react to AT commands
[via the "term" command] more flexibly than any kernel-resident
versions I've run across. [Especially given #4 below!]

1. To help with manual input & debugging, I always turn on "command
echo" ("E1") and "long format result codes" ("V1"). And I also want
noise from the "registration" process, too ("+CGREG=2"). My full
initialization string [which in my case seems to be stored in the
modem and thus doesn't need to be repeated each time] is thus this:

AT&F&D2&C1E1V1S0=0+CGREG=2

Many [though not all] modems *REQUIRE* an initial AT+CFUN=1 command
to turn on the main modem functionality, or they won't do *anything*!!
If you're getting nothing but "ERROR" responses to anything but an
empty "AT" command, try giving an "AT+CFUN=1" first. [My previous GC82
needed this; the AC860 doesn't.]

1. With AT&T, at least, the AT+CGDCONT is unnecessary. The default
"+CGDCONT" that one's account is set up with "just works".
Though as usual, your country/carrier might vary. ;-}

3. Don't try to "dial" the data call ("ATD*99#" in your case, "ATD*99***1#"
in mine) before you have checked that you have adequate signal strength
(with "AT+CSQ") and have verified that "registration" has succeeded
(with "AT+CGREG?"). If you don't wait, you might get an "ERROR" or
you might just get a silent hang.

Finally [and this might be the one that's biting you]:

4. After you dial and the modem prints a "CONNECT", *some* cellular
modems [with *some* carriers?] *don't* immediately automatically
start the PPP protocol from their side. In that case, you have to
force it with a manual "~p" (<tilde><lowercase-p>) after you see
the "CONNECT". [My previous GC82 didn't need this; the AC860 does!]
The "ppp(1)" man page gives no hints [AFAICT] for how to automate
this "forcing" process in scripts, so I have to manually start each
cellular modem session. A pain, but I'm used to it at this point.

FWIW [and, yes, your situation *will* differ!!], here's a typical
transcript for my setup [annotated with "#comment"s]:

$ ppp ac860 # Mainly for the "set mtu max 1450"
# and to set the local "tun0" IP addr
# to safe (and reproducable) value.
...[lot of "Loading /lib/libFOO.so" noise]...
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON lisp> term
deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuau1
Type `~?' for help

+PACSP0
at # Hello? You there?

OK
at+CSQ # Does it see the cell net signal yet?
+CSQ: 0,99 # No.

OK
at+CGREG? # Does the network see us?
+CGREG: 0,2 # No.

OK

...[wait a few seconds; can be *minutes* during traffic rush hour!]...

at+CSQ # Does it see the cell net signal yet?
+CSQ: 13,99 # Weak, but yes. 13 = -87 dBm ==> 2 bars,
# "weak, reduced throughput (12-16)"
OK
at+CGREG? # Does the network see us?
+CGREG: 0,5,DEA6,0722 # Aha! Yes, we're registered! Let's dial now!

OK
atd*99***1#
CONNECT
# At this point I typed ~p (*not* echoed)
Packet mode.
ppp ON lisp>
Ppp ON lisp>
PPp ON lisp>
PPP ON lisp> # O.k., PPP is completely up.

If I now go to another window and "ping", things are live.

Hope this helps...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rp...@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

Niklas R

Jul 6, 2010, 12:46:23 AM7/6/10
On Jul 5, 1:12 am, r...@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
> Rob Warnock                     <r...@rpw3.org>

> 627 26th Avenue                 <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
> San Mateo, CA 94403             (650)572-2607

Dear Rob, so outstanding getting so instructive replies now trying
slightly hassly since neither ppp nor pppd finds command AT. Rebooting
in different modes will help. pppd fills screen with junk so reading
instructions here carefully over & over sooner or later shall enable
BSD this way this Linux already has. Sincerely! Nick Rosencrantz

Niklas R

Jul 6, 2010, 4:24:27 AM7/6/10
On 5 Juli, 03:12, r...@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:

> Niklas R  <nikla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | How? Tried with ppp it won't. Here's the spec
> |http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/user/delld830/
> | Top prio enable 3G connect via APN to service provided using a
> | terminal window and AT command
> |
> | AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","online.telia.se",,0,0
> | or like current provider said today
> |
> | AT+CGDCONT=10,,"online.telia.se"
> | for networking using '*99#'.(Novatel 5520 wireless mobile broadband
> | builtin SIMcard) to try with ppp or likewise
> +---------------
>
> I have an old Sierra Wireless AC860 PCMCIA card [which replaced an
> earlier Ericsson GC82] which I have been using for years on an H-P
> Pavilion ze4560us, running FreeBSD versions 4.9, 4.10, and now 8.0.
> Oh, and with an AT&T cellular data plan. A few "lessons learned"
> which might be helpful:
>
> 0. Use "user-mode PPP" rather than any kernel-resident version,
>    since you need to be able to issue & react to AT commands
>    [via the "term" command] more flexibly than any kernel-resident
>    versions I've run across. [Especially given #4 below!]

OK: How? I am stuck like
# ppp
set device /dev/ugen1
term
then neither at nor any react

Rob Warnock

Jul 6, 2010, 8:29:45 AM7/6/10
Niklas R <nikl...@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| rp...@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
| > 0. Use "user-mode PPP" rather than any kernel-resident version,
| >    since you need to be able to issue & react to AT commands
| >    [via the "term" command] more flexibly than any kernel-resident
| >    versions I've run across. [Especially given #4 below!]
|
| OK: How? I am stuck like
| # ppp
| set device /dev/ugen1
| term
| then neither at nor any react
+---------------

Not sure I can parse your last line there...

You should be seeing slightly more that you show above, namely:

# ppp
...[chatter]...
ppp ON ${hostname}> term
ppp ON ${hostname}> set device /dev/ugen1
deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/ugen1 # Did you get this?!?
Type `~?' for help # Or this?!?

You should then be able to type AT commands to the modem.
Note that until you have turned on command echoing you might *not*
see your commands being echoed, but you should at least see the
result codes coming back. E.g., if you type "at<RETURN>" your might
not see the "at" echoed, but you should still see the "OK" response.
Do you?

If not, try connecting to the modem with some other program,
e.g., with "cu":

# cu -l /dev/ugen1 -s 9600
Connected

at # Type this (followed by <RETURN>)
OK # and you should get this response code.
at+csq # Type this (followed by <RETURN>)
+CSQ: 14,99 # and you should get this response code (or similar)
OK # and this.

Does that work for you? If not, you may need to first do the "AT+CFUN=1"
I mentioned before.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about trying to make PPP work until you can
type "AT" codes to the modem and get responses via "cu" [or equiv.],

-Rob

p.s. The fact that the device is showing up as "/dev/ugen1" and not as
"/dev/cuau${N}" [for N a small digit, e.g., "/dev/cuau1" or "/dev/cuau2"],
suggests that you don't have the proper driver to make your USB modem
look like a serial port.

Niklas R

Jul 7, 2010, 3:41:46 AM7/7/10
On 6 Juli, 14:29, r...@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
> Niklas R  <nikla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> Rob Warnock                     <r...@rpw3.org>

> 627 26th Avenue                 <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
> San Mateo, CA 94403             (650)572-2607

Seemingly getting sequence improved now in order gladly since first
instruction set device and then term now trying this sequence first
term, then set device loading bsd directly now very thankful

Niklas R

Jul 7, 2010, 8:05:10 AM7/7/10
OK kind of surrendering now that both cu and ppp failed where ppp did
show
Typ '~?' for help
ppp ON dfly-live#
then fiasco AT command did not respond so tried cu
dfly-live#cu -l /dev/ugen1 -s 9600
Connected
User signal 1
ping cannot resolve: Host name lookup failure...

Niklas R

Jul 7, 2010, 8:13:49 AM7/7/10
Card is listed compatible. http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=ugensa&section=4
So should get doable. Kindly inform if you see my error:
dfly-live# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON dfly-live>term
Warning: deflink: /dev/cuaa1: Bad file descriptor
failed to open /dev/cuaa1
ppp ON dfly-live>set device /dev/ugen1
ppp ON dfly-live>+ PACSP0
Warning: +: Invalid command
Warning: +: Failed 1
ppp ON dfly-live>at
Warning: at: Invalid command
Warning: at: Failed 1

Niklas R

Jul 8, 2010, 12:08:02 AM7/8/10
On Jul 6, 12:29 pm, r...@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
> Niklas R  <nikla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
ppp ON dfly-live>at
Warning: at: Invalid command
Warning: at: Failed 1

Caps same result. Still hw appears compatible and listed compatible.
Kindly inform if doable. Anyways thanks

Niklas R

Jul 10, 2010, 11:20:52 AM7/10/10
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/user/delld830/ updating here somewhat
unresolved issue welcoming all discussion looking through this and
other threads carefully

Niklas R

Jul 10, 2010, 1:07:39 PM7/10/10
On 6 Juli, 14:29, r...@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
> Niklas R  <nikla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> Rob Warnock                     <r...@rpw3.org>

> 627 26th Avenue                 <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
> San Mateo, CA 94403             (650)572-2607

not as

"/dev/cuau${N}" [for N a small digit, e.g., "/dev/cuau1" or "/dev/
cuau2"],

Trace:
#ppp
Working in interactive mode
Working Add: Rounte failed: ff02::::errorno Operation not supported
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON fly-live>term
Working: deflink:/dev/cuaa1: Bad file descriptor
Failed to open /dev/cuaa1
ppp ON dly-live>set device...
Warning: at: Invalid command Failed

Niklas R

Jul 15, 2010, 11:26:23 PM7/15/10
On Jul 6, 12:29 pm, r...@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
> Niklas R  <nikla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
It kind of does but cuaa0 and hangs infinitely using prompt. cuaa1 is
unrecognized. Kindly inform if any ideas or upgrading to newer BSD
gets preferred where function may be solved.

Warren Block

Jul 16, 2010, 9:13:28 AM7/16/10
Niklas R <nikl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It kind of does but cuaa0 and hangs infinitely using prompt. cuaa1 is
> unrecognized. Kindly inform if any ideas or upgrading to newer BSD
> gets preferred where function may be solved.

Possibly you should be using cuaU0, but since you haven't mentioned what
version of FreeBSD you are using, it's hard to say. A Dell U5520 is
mentioned three times in the u3g(4) source, so maybe that applies.

Niklas R

Jul 16, 2010, 9:20:48 AM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 1:13 pm, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
DragonflyBSD says Dell 5520 compatible with ppp and my spec
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/user/delld830/ with
many thanks for informing now version is the Dragonflybsd entering
either infinite loop with cuaa0 or fails with cuaa1 this message sent
from same hardware which works with linux, so it's doable and just
matter of know-how..

Niklas R

Jul 23, 2010, 11:33:02 AM7/23/10
Screenshot
http://image.bayimg.com/danhcaacn.jpg
Then maybe you know how to activate mobile broadband which Linux
already with GUI can live booted