cd filesystems?

1 view

Mats

Jun 18, 2007, 6:15:17 AM6/18/07
I wonder if someone know if it's possible to burn a cd or dvd
with some type of BSD system on it? And why? Because I want to be
able to copy files like .bashrc and other such files and that
they should keep their names, and even better if they can keep
their owners and right (chown and chmod).

/Mats

Philip Paeps

Jun 18, 2007, 9:20:42 AM6/18/07
Mats <ma...@cyborg.c83-250-138-187.bredband.comhem.se> wrote:
> I wonder if someone know if it's possible to burn a cd or dvd with some type
> of BSD system on it?

I can't see why not... Though I've never tried it.

> And why? Because I want to be able to copy files like .bashrc and other such
> files and that they should keep their names, and even better if they can
> keep their owners and right (chown and chmod).

There are RockRidge extensions for ISO9660 which do exactly this...

- Philip

--
Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
phi...@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

Real programmers punch up their own programs.

Mats

Jun 18, 2007, 10:32:25 AM6/18/07
Philip Paeps <philip...@paeps.cx> wrote:
>> And why? Because I want to be able to copy files like .bashrc and other such
>> files and that they should keep their names, and even better if they can
>> keep their owners and right (chown and chmod).
>
> There are RockRidge extensions for ISO9660 which do exactly this...
>
> - Philip

Thank's a lot Philip. It worked perfectly, except for the
ownerships but that's not a big issue and easy to fix later.

/Mats

Lars Eighner

Jun 18, 2007, 12:30:29 PM6/18/07
In our last episode, <VWsdi.2397$ZA....@newsb.telia.net>, the lovely and
talented Mats broadcast on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:

See Burning Raw Data CDs in the Handbook. However mkisofs -UR
should produce an iso image that is as you want. In either case,
you will have a coaster if you want the CD to be readable on a non-FBSD
system.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> <http://myspace.com/larseighner>
Countdown: 581 days to go.

Mats

Jun 18, 2007, 2:27:15 PM6/18/07
Lars Eighner <use...@larseighner.com> wrote:
> See Burning Raw Data CDs in the Handbook. However mkisofs -UR
> should produce an iso image that is as you want. In either case,
> you will have a coaster if you want the CD to be readable on a non-FBSD
> system.

Good idea! And I don't want it to be readable from any other os,
so that tip was perfect. Or I will have a very slim frisbee at
the beach :-)

/Mats

Giorgos Keramidas

Jun 19, 2007, 3:27:06 AM6/19/07
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:32:25 GMT, Mats <ma...@cyborg.c83-250-138-187.bredband.comhem.se> wrote:
> Philip Paeps <philip...@paeps.cx> wrote:
>>> And why? Because I want to be able to copy files like .bashrc and other such
>>> files and that they should keep their names, and even better if they can
>>> keep their owners and right (chown and chmod).
>>
>> There are RockRidge extensions for ISO9660 which do exactly this...
>
> Thank's a lot Philip. It worked perfectly, except for the
> ownerships but that's not a big issue and easy to fix later.

The user ID and group ID of a file are saved in RockRidge images, but
they may not be very useful if you move the resulting CD-ROM to another
system -- where IDs may not be matching one by one.

This isn't really a RockRidge problem though, but a more general issue
which may come up with any sort of removable media (USB sticks, CD-ROMs,
DVD-ROMs, etc.). It is even a `problem' with misconfigured NFS shares.

Mats

Jun 19, 2007, 8:19:03 AM6/19/07
Giorgos Keramidas <kera...@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> This isn't really a RockRidge problem though, but a more general issue
> which may come up with any sort of removable media (USB sticks, CD-ROMs,
> DVD-ROMs, etc.). It is even a `problem' with misconfigured NFS shares.

Thanks Giorgos. And I think that I have had that problem with
misconfigured NFS shares. It was when I was on an embedded
project I think, with diskless booting.

/Mats