World A/UX System Count

slimey_limey

Oct 22, 2004, 4:15:36 PM10/22/04
I recently heard from a friend that there are believed to be
less than 20 A/UX systems extant, including his and mine (both
pirated, of course). Can someone please corroborate?

-The Slimey Limey

Goetz Hoffart

Oct 22, 2004, 4:45:48 PM10/22/04
slimey_limey <mrslim...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'm using it randomly. And my A/UX is not pirated, of course.

Regards
Götz
--
http://www.knubbelmac.de/

mcstanga

Oct 23, 2004, 7:29:01 AM10/23/04
slimey_limey <mrslim...@hotmail.com> wrote:

i have only the iso cd image.
i need the boot floppy one!!!
i can't find it!
if you give me the floppy image i will install the 21th A/UX sistem on a
X86 machine.
bye.
Ale.

mcstanga

Oct 23, 2004, 8:15:29 AM10/23/04
mcstanga <mcst...@libero.it> wrote:

> i have only the iso cd image.
> i need the boot floppy one!!!
> i can't find it!
> if you give me the floppy image i will install the 21th A/UX sistem on a
> X86 machine.
> bye.
> Ale.

ops...
the iso cd is rhapsody x86...
for a/ux i'm waiting for an old mac from one of my firends (a pizza-box)
sorry.
ale.

Karsten Kruse

Oct 26, 2004, 11:01:56 AM10/26/04

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Goetz Hoffart wrote:

>> I recently heard from a friend that there are believed to be less
>> than 20 A/UX systems extant, including his and mine (both pirated, of
>> course). Can someone please corroborate?

> I'm using it randomly.

Me too. But i don't do real work with it.

> And my A/UX is not pirated, of course.

Mine is.

Probably the last A/UX Box in the Network: wiskit.com

Runs also NCSA/1.4.1 :).

I guess it's totally safe to run that box since all crackers able
to break in died with the dinosaurs.

Karsten Kruse

--
Homepage, Mac68k, A/UX-Links und Shorties: www.tecneeq.de
() Linux/NetBSD-Anleitungen, Forum und Chat: www.newbie-net.de

huw.d...@kerberos.davies.net.au

Oct 27, 2004, 9:56:36 AM10/27/04

Well I have two A/UX systems at home. One fully legal (including
the full documentation kit in 20 odd folders) and the other is a
"clone" of the first. The two systems are a IIcx and an SE/30.

All up I paid around $10K for the IIcx with additional memory,
ethernet, 300MB SCSI disk and A3 display. I guess this is one
of the main reasons I haven't thrown it out.....

.signature still on that backup tape somewhere

Goetz Hoffart

Oct 27, 2004, 12:51:53 PM10/27/04
<huw.d...@kerberos.davies.net.au> wrote:

> All up I paid around $10K for the IIcx with additional memory,
> ethernet, 300MB SCSI disk and A3 display. I guess this is one
> of the main reasons I haven't thrown it out.....

What kind of applications did you run on this machine?

huw.d...@kerberos.davies.net.au

Oct 30, 2004, 10:28:47 PM10/30/04
Goetz Hoffart <use...@hoffart.de> wrote:
> <huw.d...@kerberos.davies.net.au> wrote:

> What kind of applications did you run on this machine?

It was my first Unix workstation so it was set up for me to understand
how Unix worked (I was coming from a VMS and TOPS-10 background) as well
as understanding X11.

I suspect for a lot of it's working life it ran lots of xterms allowing
me to log into the various systems I managed.

.sig still lost on a backup tape somewhere

Helge Blischke

Nov 3, 2004, 7:23:25 AM11/3/04

Well, since about a decade I have an AWS95 running A/UX 3.1.1 at work,
and it
is still used for tasks like font format conversion between Mac and the
rest
of the world.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung

peter bartoli

Nov 3, 2004, 8:01:34 PM11/3/04

slimey_limey wrote:
> I recently heard from a friend that there are believed to be
> less than 20 A/UX systems extant, including his and mine (both
> pirated, of course). Can someone please corroborate?

I have 2 A/UX systems here , one running A/UX 1.1.1 and one running 3.1.
Both come from original media.

-peter

Peter H.

Nov 6, 2004, 6:29:35 PM11/6/04

I have 2 A/UX systems here , one running A/UX 1.1.1 and one running 3.1. Both
come from original media.

I have none running here, but I do have three WGS 95s; one original media and
manual set for a pre-3.1 release of A/UX; and 3.0 and 3.1 media from a certain
backup site.

Also five ANS 700/200s, one of which was downgraded to a 500/200 in order to
steal its (hot pluggable) power supply so that the others could all have dual
PSUs. One has gen-u-wine AIX. The others are clones.

(Some ANS accessories still available here in Silly-cone Valley ... drive trays
for real cheap, when available ... but most accessories are being scrapped as I
write this).

Goetz Hoffart

Nov 6, 2004, 7:50:28 PM11/6/04
Peter H. <peter...@aol.comminch> wrote:

> Some ANS accessories still available here in Silly-cone Valley

What? Where? How much? :)

I'm searching RAM und drive trays for my 700/150.

Peter H.

Nov 7, 2004, 1:45:44 AM11/7/04

> Some ANS accessories still available here in Silly-
> cone Valley

What? Where? How much? :)

I'm searching RAM und drive trays for my 700/150.

RAM is just parity FPM on these machines. 60 ns. Usually not available from the
iquidator/crusher as these will work in pre-G3 Macs. Always IBM brand, in my
experience, and usually 8 MB or 16 MB. (48 MB is a standard ANS configuration,
with 2x16 MB and 2x8 MB DIMMs).

(I have found some 128 MB non-parity sticks which will work in ANSes, but very
few will work, and they are mostly earlier productions runs. Later 128 MB
production runs will not run in ANSes at all. Still, an ANS can only support
512 MB).

The liquidator/crusher gets ANSes infrequently.

Availability is March through October, at some of the usual Silicon Valley
electronics flea markets. The seller has no phone number or address, and I have
to give him a "want list" and then hope he finds what I'm asking for in his
inventory, for delivery the next month. So far, I have gotten enough 68-pin
drive trays to completely populate five machines, and numerous miscellaneous
parts, such as LCD displays and internal cables, all for spares. Also power
supplies.

Drive trays are about $10. Sometimes less, especially when he has a lot of them
to scrap.

Some mechanical parts are available from time-to-time, such as bases and those
transluscent drive bay covers. Also wheels, which often wear funny if the axle
isn't lubed, or isn't inserted in the base squarely.

Julian Lewis-Booth

Nov 16, 2004, 12:00:58 PM11/16/04
Well I now have a IIfx with 3.1 running at home - Original media for
3.0.1 from my now stored in the loft and downloaded updater to 3.1.

Nice system to work with only really installed it again to play with
the original Mac/UNIX mix.

Regards

Julian

Cameron Kaiser

Nov 16, 2004, 10:33:07 PM11/16/04
Julian Lewis-Booth <juli...@mac.com> writes:

>>I recently heard from a friend that there are believed to be
>>less than 20 A/UX systems extant, including his and mine (both
>>pirated, of course). Can someone please corroborate?

>Well I now have a IIfx with 3.1 running at home - Original media for

>3.0.1 from my now stored in the loft and downloaded updater to 3.1.

I've got a IIci with a Daystar 50MHz 030 running 3.1. It also dual-boots
into plain-jane System 7.1 as well.

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/

Jason Timmons

Nov 18, 2004, 8:31:44 PM11/18/04
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:00:58 +0000, Julian Lewis-Booth
<juli...@mac.com> wrote:

>> I recently heard from a friend that there are believed to be
>> less than 20 A/UX systems extant, including his and mine (both
>> pirated, of course). Can someone please corroborate?
>>
>> -The Slimey Limey

I've got a WGS95 running A/UX 3.1. It hasn;t been turned on in a
while, so it's up to you whether to count that as "extant.

I'd like to know if there are any truly "running" systems out there,
as in "in production" and critical to some business purpose. Maybe in
a military function somewhere?

-jht-
----------------------
Jason H. Timmons
com!pobox!jht
----------------------

Teo Zenios

Nov 19, 2004, 1:47:26 AM11/19/04

"Jason Timmons" <unz...@chickencow.com> wrote in message

WGS95 here with original media 3.01 and 3.1 upgrade. I use mine just to
backup files on my 68k Mac network using retrospect that came with A/UX (on
a DDS2 SONY DAT). Was there much software made that targeted A/UX
specifically?

Karsten Kruse

Nov 24, 2004, 8:01:53 PM11/24/04

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Jason Timmons wrote:

> I'd like to know if there are any truly "running" systems out there,
> as in "in production" and critical to some business purpose.

wiskit.com uses A/UX for Web (www.wiskit.com) and Mail.

Karsten

--
Homepage, Mac68k, A/UX-Links und Shorties: www.tecneeq.de
() Linux/NetBSD-Anleitungen, Forum und Chat: www.newbie-net.de
<\/>

_/\_ Debian - Yesterday's technology ... tomorrow.

Timothy Larson

Feb 3, 2005, 7:04:16 PM2/3/05
In article <419ac5eb$0$97175$45be...@newscene.com>,
Cameron Kaiser <cka...@floodgap.com> wrote:

> I've got a IIci with a Daystar 50MHz 030 running 3.1. It also dual-boots
> into plain-jane System 7.1 as well.

Cameron, I'm starting to believe you run every Unix known to Mac-kind.
;)

I'll increase the world system count by one as soon as I can get a 68882
for my IIsi.

Tim

Cameron Kaiser

Feb 4, 2005, 5:57:02 PM2/4/05
Timothy Larson <thela...@cox.net> writes:

>>I've got a IIci with a Daystar 50MHz 030 running 3.1. It also dual-boots
>>into plain-jane System 7.1 as well.

>Cameron, I'm starting to believe you run every Unix known to Mac-kind. ;)

Surprisingly, I don't run Linux on my Macs. I much prefer BSD, but I don't
want to start a Linux vs BSD war here because BSD would win. *narf narf narf*

On that same IIci, I have MacMiNT installed too. That's surprisingly
functional; I just wish MacMiNT supported TCP/IP (I guess jet doesn't know
how to translate to MacTCP).

In fact, between AIX, Mac OS X, NetBSD, MiNT and A/UX, I think the only Mac
Unix I'm missing other than some form of Linux is MachTen.

Timothy Larson

Feb 13, 2005, 11:37:27 PM2/13/05
In article <4203fd29$0$35847$45be...@newscene.com>,
Cameron Kaiser <cka...@floodgap.com> wrote:

> Timothy Larson <thela...@cox.net> writes:
> >Cameron, I'm starting to believe you run every Unix known to Mac-kind. ;)
>
> Surprisingly, I don't run Linux on my Macs. I much prefer BSD, but I don't
> want to start a Linux vs BSD war here because BSD would win. *narf narf narf*
>
> On that same IIci, I have MacMiNT installed too. That's surprisingly
> functional; I just wish MacMiNT supported TCP/IP (I guess jet doesn't know
> how to translate to MacTCP).
>
> In fact, between AIX, Mac OS X, NetBSD, MiNT and A/UX, I think the only Mac
> Unix I'm missing other than some form of Linux is MachTen.

Heh, I forgot that AIX could run on some Macs. My count of Unix flavor
installations will be 5 as soon as I get the FPU for the A/UX on the
IIsi, 4 of them Macs. (I have an SGI I don't do much with.) I should
get AIX and OpenBSD on some Macs too I suppose???

Tim

Goetz Hoffart

Feb 14, 2005, 2:35:15 AM2/14/05
Timothy Larson <thela...@cox.net> wrote:

> Heh, I forgot that AIX could run on some Macs.

No Mac can run AIX.

There's only one Apple (the Apple Network Server 500/700) which runs AIX
- but this is not a Macintosh.

> IIsi, 4 of them Macs. (I have an SGI I don't do much with.) I should
> get AIX and OpenBSD on some Macs too I suppose???

There's no AIX for Macs. Try NetBSD and Debian GNU/Linux, perhaps Minix
and Mach Ten.

Timothy Larson

Mar 2, 2005, 3:41:39 PM3/2/05
In article <1gryt4g.cp1xe211ziso9N%use...@hoffart.de>,
use...@hoffart.de (Goetz Hoffart) wrote:

> Timothy Larson <thela...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Heh, I forgot that AIX could run on some Macs.
>
> No Mac can run AIX.
>
> There's only one Apple (the Apple Network Server 500/700) which runs AIX
> - but this is not a Macintosh.

Now you're arguing semantics. You may be technically correct, but the
distinction isn't all that important to me.

Tim