Smoking machine?

1 view

McFarland, Mark

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
We have an IBM Risc 6000 S70 machine; we just noticed black smoke comming
from underneath the machine; and a smell like rubber was burning But, the
system is still up and running what can this be??

Anthony Fiore

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
A good reason to turn it off and check it out!!
If anything put in a call to IBM!!!!!!!!!!

Brian JARAI Chase

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
In article <C1F91029B103D111AB2...@exchange.whusa>,
McFarland, Mark <mark.mc...@womenshealthusa.com> wrote:

>We have an IBM Risc 6000 S70 machine; we just noticed black smoke comming
>from underneath the machine; and a smell like rubber was burning But, the
>system is still up and running what can this be??

Something much less than "good."

-brian.
--
---

KCrass

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
>We have an IBM Risc 6000 S70 machine; we just noticed black smoke comming
>from underneath the machine; and a smell like rubber was burning But, the
>system is still up and running what can this be??

just a guess....fire?

Michael Perris

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
In article <19990108080155...@ng96.aol.com>, KCrass
<kcr...@aol.com> writes

Years ago I wall'ed on a test machine a message to the effect of "AIX
WARNING: System Unit at critical temperature: pour water on system unit
immediately", and one guy actually went looking for a bucket..

--
Michael Perris
Perriscope Ltd

Bela Gazdy

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
McFarland, Mark <mark.mc...@womenshealthusa.com> wrote:
MM> We have an IBM Risc 6000 S70 machine; we just noticed black smoke comming
MM> from underneath the machine; and a smell like rubber was burning But, the
MM> system is still up and running what can this be??

The Raven's layin' rubber!!

(I just *had to* make a "contribution" to this thread...)

--
I shook my family tree... | Bela Gazdy, Emory Univ, ITD/Teach&Res.
...and a bunch of nuts fell out.| Tel: 404-727-2383, Fax: 404-727-7345

Matt Steinhoff

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
McFarland, Mark (mark.mc...@womenshealthusa.com) wrote:
> We have an IBM Risc 6000 S70 machine; we just noticed black smoke
> comming from underneath the machine; and a smell like rubber was
> burning But, the system is still up and running what can this be??

A cause for alarm?
What hardware do you have at the bottom of the rack? It
could be that you have something burning under the raised
floor and it's not the S70 that's on fire. (It could be that
the AC has a slipping belt and just happens to be venting out
your floor tile.) In any case, It would be a good thing to
have someone (who isn't on USENET) investigate.

Speaking of smoking S70s, has anyone noticed an excessive
number of problems with the I/O drawer power supplies? We've
got four S70s. Two have burned-out the 1/4 supply. The other
one has burned-out the 3/4 supply. These boxes are only four
or so months old. IBM swears they didn't have a bad batch of
power supplies but 800-IBM-SERV has hinted that they get an
unusual number of calls about those two parts. Any thoughts?

Matt

lo...@bigfoot.com

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99

I had problems with my S70s power supplies too. I don't interact with
many other sysadmins, and I thought the problem was unique until now.
They've never smoked though (thank God). If they did, I'd shutdown
(no matter that the system is running fine) and find out exactly what
was burning. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll talk to my hardware
support people and see what they say about it.

Wim Nys

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
IBM = Interactive Burning Machine...

Bill Bohlman

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
What's that old phrase? "Where there is smoke, there is an IBM".

Wim Nys wrote:

--
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than
the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel

Bill_Bohlman.vcf

L. Richard Gerber

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
That sounds like a short circuit in one of the peripherals to me . The black
smoke indicates burning carbon based material, the rubber smell would
indicate Insulation. It could be a problem with the powersupply or a drive
motor or even a cooling fan that is going out. By the time you read this you
have probably had a failure in the component that was smoking

Rich

GTE.net

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Monday morning I came in to work, and everything was down. A drainpipe
connection cut loose and about 200 gallons of water landed on our RS6000
before hitting the floor. The other 50 gallons was sprayed all over the
other 4 servers and misc equipment over a period of about 7 hours.
Everything was on.

We took the case off the server, put a fan on it to help it dry. Next day we
turned it on and went back to work. The only thing we found so far was that
a hard drive was dead. We have to check the serial ports yet.

On Monday we were worried that we would have to order an entire new server
room. Everything is back up, only loosing a couple monitors and UPS's.

I am absolutely amazed things went so well.

--
Scott Meyer, MCSE,CCNA,CNA,A+
jeev...@gte.net

>What's that old phrase? "Where there is smoke, there is an IBM".
>

>Wim Nys wrote:
>
>> IBM = Interactive Burning Machine...

Andrew Yeomans

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
But computers run on smoke.
They must do: if the smoke escapes, the computer stops working.
--
Andrew Yeomans

Michael G Phillips

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Actually, it's the software that runs on smoke, but only if you
have an ample supply of mirrors as well.

-michael

Craig Corder

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Michael G Phillips wrote:

From an ex-field sales/support survivor:

I used to work in a computer store and one day we had a gentleman call
in with a smoking power supply. The service rep was having a bit of
trouble convincing this guy that he had a hardware problem.
Service Rep: Sir, something has burned within your power supply.

Customer: I bet that there is some command that I can put into the
AUTOEXEC.BAT that will take care of this.

Service Rep: There is nothing that software can do to help you with
this problem.

Customer: I know that there is something that I can put in... some
command... maybe it should go into the CONFIG.SYS.

[After a few minutes of going round and round]

Service Rep: Okay, I am not supposed to tell anyone this but there is
a hidden command in some versions of DOS that you can use. I want you
to edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT and add the last line as C:DOSNOSMOKE and
reboot your computer.

[Customer does this]

Customer: It is still smoking.

Service Rep: I guess you'll need to call Microsoft and ask them for a
patch for the NOSMOKE.EXE.

[The customer then hung up. We thought that we had
heard the last of this guy but NO... he calls back
four hours later]

Service Rep: Hello Sir, how is your computer?

Customer: I called Microsoft and they said that my power supply
is incompatible with their NOSMOKE.EXE and that I need
to get a new one. I was wondering, where can I get it
done and how much it will cost..