Install man pages on AIX 5.3?

Hemant Shah

Oct 14, 2005, 4:29:19 PM10/14/05

Folks,

Where does IBM keep the filesets for man pages?
I looked through all of 8 installation CDs but could not find them.

If they are on different CD then how do I get it?
Can I download the fileset from IBMs web site?

Thanks.

--
Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
E-mail: NoJunkM...@xnet.com \ / ---------------------

steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada

Oct 14, 2005, 5:16:25 PM10/14/05
These are the filesets that you needed for AIX 5.1, I would think they
are still in the same spot for 5.3

bos.html.en_US.topnav.navigate
bos.html.en_US.nav
bos.html.en_US.cmds.cmds1
bos.html.en_US.cmds.cmds2
bos.html.en_US.cmds.cmds3
bos.html.en_US.cmds.cmds4
bos.html.en_US.cmds.cmds5
bos.html.en_US.cmds.cmds6
bos.html.en_US.techref.base
bos.html.en_US.techref.common

If I recall, it was on a CDROM that was labelled Documentation or
Navigation tools, or something like that.

Steve

Nathan

Oct 14, 2005, 7:53:24 PM10/14/05

In 5.3 they are now "infocenter.aix.EN_US.*":

infocenter.aix.EN_US.application
infocenter.aix.EN_US.base
infocenter.aix.EN_US.commands
infocenter.aix.EN_US.help
infocenter.aix.EN_US.how_to
infocenter.aix.EN_US.infocenter
infocenter.aix.EN_US.install
infocenter.aix.EN_US.programming_guides
infocenter.aix.EN_US.reference
infocenter.aix.EN_US.system_management
infocenter.aix.EN_US.system_user
infocenter.aix.EN_US.technical_reference

Also, the base level AIX 5.3 "Documentation CD's" contain a faulty
fileset('s), I think infocenter.rte, but it might be another. However,
the same filesets are on the main AIX install cd's and are fully intact
there.

I've been working on a man page issue with support the last week or so.
Speaking of which, has anyone else been able to use 'catman' to generate
preformated man pages in 5.3? It doesn't do anything when I run it.

Hemant Shah

Oct 17, 2005, 10:01:27 AM10/17/05

I do not have documentation CD for AIX 5.3. I am taking over from a previous
sys admin who no longer works here.

Can I download it from the web site?

Thanks.

Nathan

Oct 17, 2005, 10:05:57 AM10/17/05
You don't want the 5.3 Documentation CD's, one or more filesets on them
are bad (As I've been told by AIX support). All the documentation is
ALSO on the AIX installation CD's anyway, install the docs from there.

O-V R:nen

Oct 17, 2005, 10:28:01 AM10/17/05
Nathan <nat...@nospam.org> writes:

> I've been working on a man page issue with support the last week or
> so. Speaking of which, has anyone else been able to use 'catman' to
> generate preformated man pages in 5.3? It doesn't do anything when I
> run it.

Had the same problem with plain 5300-00, an upgrade to 5300-02 (or
possibly one of the more recent fixes I installed to solve NIS
problems) fixed that.

Hemant Shah

Oct 17, 2005, 11:05:46 AM10/17/05
While stranded on information super highway Nathan wrote:
> You don't want the 5.3 Documentation CD's, one or more filesets on them
> are bad (As I've been told by AIX support). All the documentation is
> ALSO on the AIX installation CD's anyway, install the docs from there.

I could not find any documentation filesets on AIX 5.3 CD. Only fileset
related to documentation was infocenter.aix.EN_US.commands which is installed
on the system and this file set contains HTML pages only, I could find
man pages when I ran "lslpp -f infocenter.aix.EN_US.commands".

Gary R. Hook

Oct 17, 2005, 12:36:10 PM10/17/05
Hemant Shah wrote:
> While stranded on information super highway Nathan wrote:
>
>>You don't want the 5.3 Documentation CD's, one or more filesets on them
>>are bad (As I've been told by AIX support). All the documentation is
>>ALSO on the AIX installation CD's anyway, install the docs from there.
>

> I could not find any documentation filesets on AIX 5.3 CD. Only fileset
> related to documentation was infocenter.aix.EN_US.commands which is installed
> on the system and this file set contains HTML pages only, I could find
> man pages when I ran "lslpp -f infocenter.aix.EN_US.commands".

Nathan is incorrect: documentation is not ALSO anywhere. It's on
separate CDs, labeled "AIX 5L V5.3 Documentation CD 5765-G03". 2
Volumes.

I'm reasonably certain that...

To get the man pages, you have to install the HTML documentation.
On that machine. Then the man command parses them out to man
format, I believe.

...although I could be mistaken. YMMV.

Robert Simpson

Oct 22, 2005, 12:31:49 PM10/22/05
Just did this on AIX 5.3 ML3.

For the text man pages, the filesets are on the first three of the main 8 installation disks under "infocenter". You need to install three of the infocenter items.

For the HTML InfoCenter, the filesets are on the first of the two Documentation CDs. You need to install the two items for your language (ex: EN_US) and the "rte" at the bottom. Then enter "chwebconfig -s DOCSERVER", re-login, and enter "infocenter" to start the browser, or else go to http://yourhostname:64111/ from any browser.

Then do "oslevel -r". If it reports the level as "5300-02" rather than "5300-03", you probably need to remove the old "bos.docsearch.rte" fileset that infocenter replaces (I think it's "oslevel -rl 5300-03", maybe "-rf" that gives you that info) and the dependent filesets.

Robert Simpson

Hemant Shah

Oct 24, 2005, 10:15:31 AM10/24/05
While stranded on information super highway Robert Simpson wrote:
> Just did this on AIX 5.3 ML3.
>
> For the text man pages, the filesets are on the first three of the main 8 installation disks under "infocenter". You need to install three of the infocenter items.
>
> For the HTML InfoCenter, the filesets are on the first of the two Documentation CDs. You need to install the two items for your language (ex: EN_US) and the "rte" at the bottom. Then enter "chwebconfig -s DOCSERVER", re-login, and enter "infocenter" to start the browser, or else go to http://yourhostname:64111/ from any browser.
>
> Then do "oslevel -r". If it reports the level as "5300-02" rather than "5300-03", you probably need to remove the old "bos.docsearch.rte" fileset that infocenter replaces (I think it's "oslevel -rl 5300-03", maybe "-rf" that gives you that info) and the dependent filesets.
>
> Robert Simpson

I am at ML 03. The above procedure will allow me to view web page through the
browser, but I need to use it from command line using "man" command.

Hajo Ehlers

Oct 24, 2005, 1:25:44 PM10/24/05
Hemant Shah wrote:
> While stranded on information super highway Robert Simpson wrote:
> > Just did this on AIX 5.3 ML3.
> >
> > For the text man pages, the filesets are on the first three of the main 8 installation disks under "infocenter". You need to install three of the infocenter items.
> >
> > For the HTML InfoCenter, the filesets are on the first of the two Documentation CDs. You need to install the two items for your language (ex: EN_US) and the "rte" at the bottom. Then enter "chwebconfig -s DOCSERVER", re-login, and enter "infocenter" to start the browser, or else go to http://yourhostname:64111/ from any browser.
> >
> > Then do "oslevel -r". If it reports the level as "5300-02" rather than "5300-03", you probably need to remove the old "bos.docsearch.rte" fileset that infocenter replaces (I think it's "oslevel -rl 5300-03", maybe "-rf" that gives you that info) and the dependent filesets.
> >
> > Robert Simpson
>
> I am at ML 03. The above procedure will allow me to view web page through the
> browser, but I need to use it from command line using "man" command.

According to

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/eserver/library/es-appdev-aix5l.html

you should have also man pages on the first CD.

So lets find out if you have man pages installed:

On AIX 5.1 its in: bos.man.en_US.cmds

On AIX 5.3 try the following command
$ which_fileset mknfs.htm
/usr/share/man/info/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds3/mknfs.htm
bos.man.en_US.cmds 5.1.0.0

The second row should give you the fileset name. Check if it is
installed and check the if the files still exist.
$ lslpp -l FileSet ( Which show if fileset is installed or not )
$ lslpp -f FileSet ( Will show which files owned by the fileset )

If the fileset is not installed: Install it!

If every thing is fine:

Check if you are using the correct ' man ' program
$ strings $(which man ) | grep cmdman
should give IBM info and not some GNU or other stuff.

Also unset the MANPATH because for base OS man pages MANPATH is not
needed.

BTW: In the old AIX 4.3.3 days the man pages has not been installed by
default. So if you are working on a machine upgraded from AIX 4.3.3 to
AIX 5.3 it most likely that the man pages has not been installed.

hth
Hajo

If this is installed UNSET your MANPATH because a wroing

Hemant Shah

Oct 24, 2005, 4:02:00 PM10/24/05

This is a fresh install of AIX 5.3 on the system. bos.man.en_US.cmds
is not installed and I cannot find it on the first CD ROM either.

[[root@lidp27]]/mnt/cdrom>
# lslpp -l "bos.man*"
lslpp: 0504-132 Fileset bos.man* not installed.

# mount /mnt/cdrom
# cd /mnt/cdrom
# ls
.Version OSLEVEL bosinst.data installp root
5300-00 RPMS image.data ppc usr
[[root@lidp27]]/mnt/cdrom>
# find . -name "bos.man*"
#

I also ran smitty and tried to install it by trying to select it from the
list but could not find it in the list.

> hth
> Hajo
>

> If this is installed UNSET your MANPATH because a wroing

Hajo Ehlers

Oct 25, 2005, 7:55:36 AM10/25/05
Hemant Shah wrote:

> > On AIX 5.1 its in: bos.man.en_US.cmds

ON AIX 5.1 ITS bos.man.en_US.cmds. Its just an example!

So please try the which_fileset command to find the fileset assuming
that th eman page for mknfs will be get from mknfs.htm

> > On AIX 5.3 try the following command
> > $ which_fileset mknfs.htm
> > /usr/share/man/info/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds3/mknfs.htm
> > bos.man.en_US.cmds 5.1.0.0
> >
> > The second row should give you the fileset name. Check if it is
> > installed and check the if the files still exist.

> # mount /mnt/cdrom
> # cd /mnt/cdrom
> # ls
> .Version OSLEVEL bosinst.data installp root
> 5300-00 RPMS image.data ppc usr
> [[root@lidp27]]/mnt/cdrom>
> # find . -name "bos.man*"

Do not use find ! Bad practise because bff files have any names.

Assuming that all installable files will be in the ./installp/ppc
directory.

cd ./installp/ppc
installp -l -d . | grep man

hth
Hajo

Hemant Shah

Oct 25, 2005, 9:51:48 AM10/25/05
While stranded on information super highway Hajo Ehlers wrote:

I ran the above command but could not find it.
Why has IBM made it so difficult to install man pages.
The only thing I see that could contain man pages is
infocenter.aix.EN_US.commands, does this contain all the man pages
(sections 1,2,3, etc)? I need to install all man pages not just commands.

# cd ./installp/ppc

# installp -l -d . | grep man
# AIX 3.2 Compatibility Commands
# AIX 3.2 TCP/IP Compatability Commands
# EBCDIC & ASCII Language Converters - German
# Learning Basic Operating System Commands
# System Networking Analysis and Performance Pilot
# Performance Diagnostic Tool
# Performance Statistics Library Interface
# Performance Statistics Interface
# Base Performance Tools
# Performance Tuning Support
# Performance Monitor API Event Codes
# Performance Monitor API Library
# Performance Monitor API Kernel Extension
# Performance Monitor API Samples
# Performance Monitor API Tools
# System V Directory-enabled Commands
# Filesystem Quota Commands
# Human Designed Systems Terminal Definitions
# Writer's Tools Commands
# Text Formatting Services Commands
# Distributed Command Execution Manager Runtime Enviro
infocenter.aix.EN_US.commands 5.3.0.0 I N usr
# AIX information commands - U.S. English
# Local Performance Analysis & Control Commands
# xprofiler Motif/Xwindow Style Performance Profiler

Hajo Ehlers

Oct 25, 2005, 4:58:29 PM10/25/05
What maintenance level are you running ( oslevel -r )
What is your installed version of ' bos.rte.man ' ( lslpp -l
bos.rte.man ) ?
What locale are you using for root ( locale )

With plain aix 5300-00 is the multi byte problem and man. See APAR
IY65540 for details.

Hajo

Hemant Shah

Oct 26, 2005, 10:43:10 AM10/26/05
While stranded on information super highway Hajo Ehlers wrote:

I am running ML 03 (5300-03), but I am trying to install man page from the
original disk (5300-00) since they were never installed in first place.

# oslevel -r
5300-03

# lslpp -l bos.rte.man
Fileset Level State Description
bos.rte.man 5.3.0.30 COMMITTED Man Commands

I finally figured out that one of the many files that are sourced in
my .profile file was setting MANPATH and that was causing the problem.

After unsetting the MANPATH I am able to get man pages for the commands
(section 1), but I still cannot get man pages for library functions
(section 3).

$ man open
Manual entry for open not found or not installed.

$ man 3 open
There is not an entry for open in section 3.

$ cd /usr/share/man

$ ls
cat1 cat4 cat7 catn man2 man5 man8 whatis
cat2 cat5 cat8 info man3 man6 manl
cat3 cat6 catl man1 man4 man7 mann

$ ls cat3
$
$ ls man3
$

As you can see cat3 and man3 are empty.

How do I install man pages for other sections?

Thanks.

> Hajo

Hajo Ehlers

Oct 26, 2005, 11:46:37 AM10/26/05

Hemant Shah wrote:

> How do I install man pages for other sections?

Like Gary said already

Nathan is incorrect: documentation is not ALSO anywhere. It's on
separate CDs, labeled "AIX 5L V5.3 Documentation CD 5765-G03". 2
Volumes.

I'm reasonably certain that...

To get the man pages, you have to install the HTML documentation.
On that machine. Then the man command parses them out to man
format, I believe.

So get the documentation CD's

hth
Hajo