Putty text during login

Pete's

Feb 13, 2008, 4:07:02 PM2/13/08
Hi all:

AIX 5.3, tl06 sp03. Using putty 0.58 for an ssh client on windoze. 2
problems with putty

1.) I log into the box, after login and the display of the
MOTD(message of the day), I get several characters pasted on the
command line. Anyone know what might be causing this? I have search
my .profile and the default profiles and have not found anything. I
have also searched to see if there is a key sequence.

2.) On another box similar os version, I log into the machine fine
but no text pasted in automatically. However, the window displays the
wrong server name. i.e. I log into server1 but the name for server
14 is displayed. Anyone know what's up with this?

What ssh clients do other use?

TIA,
Pete's

Gerard H. Pille

Feb 14, 2008, 3:33:00 AM2/14/08
I use cygwin with openssh. This way you can get a perfect and free
Xserver if it's any use to you.

F. Michael Orr

Feb 14, 2008, 11:06:50 AM2/14/08

I have not seen that particular problem. You may want to upgrade PuTTY.
0.60 is the latest, and there are bugfixes in that. Maybe one of them
will fix yours. I connected to a machine at the same SP level with 0.60,
and didn't see that problem.

Pete's

Feb 14, 2008, 3:17:10 PM2/14/08

Thanks, I tried that and I still get the text pasted in.

Pete's.

UncleSteve

Feb 15, 2008, 8:05:25 AM2/15/08
Had the same issue. Turned out to be the AnswerBackString. Here is
how you can test. Create a script:

echo ^E
read ABS
echo ABS=$ABS

Note that the ^E is a real Control-E created by entering Control-V
followed by Control-E. Control-E is the TerminalQuery. Execute your
script and press Enter to reply to the read. Vanilla Putty should
reply come back with something like this:

/home/root# ./v

PuTTY
ABS=PuTTY
/home/root#

If this output matches the "several characters pasted on the command
line" then you have discovered your culprit; start hunting. I went
into .profile, /etc/profile, and finally found my ^E at the end of a
line in the /etc/environment file. I used the search in vi to quickly
run through all the login files.

Good Luck
Steve

Pete's

Feb 27, 2008, 4:55:45 PM2/27/08

Thanks for the reply, I just got back from vacation and finally had a
chance to try it. Yep, that appears to be it, now, time to go
hunting.

TIA,
Pete's

Pete's

Feb 29, 2008, 4:28:03 PM2/29/08

Well ....., this is perplexing, I have not found the special character
anywhere, yet. It's not in /etc/environment, /etc/profile,
$HOME/.profile, or, $HOME/.env(in fact I do not have one of these).
This appears to be occurring somewhere after the .profile is executed
and the display of the shell prompt. Any additional ideas?

TIA,
Pete's

Pete's

Feb 29, 2008, 5:03:02 PM2/29/08

Was thinking about this more and decided to record the session packets
using putty's logging facility. After logging the packets, here's
what I found:

Outgoing packet type 94 / 0x5e (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA)
00000000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 50 75 54 54
59 ........PuTTY
Outgoing packet type 94 / 0x5e (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA)
00000000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 50 75 54 54
59 ........PuTTY

The above is before the MOTD is displayed, then after the .profile is
executed, the packets are as follows:

Incoming packet type 94 / 0x5e (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA)
00000000 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 05 50 75 54 54
59 ........PuTTY
Incoming packet type 94 / 0x5e (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA)
00000000 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 05 50 75 54 54
59 ........PuTTY
Incoming packet type 94 / 0x5e (SSH2_MSG_CHANNEL_DATA)
00000000 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 02 24 20 ........
$

It appears that somehow the string(s) are being pasted in somehow,
almost like an automatic script execution. Or, am I mis-interpreting
this? Any ideas?

TIA,
Pete's

Pete's

Mar 3, 2008, 2:10:58 PM3/3/08
I have more or less figure this out, it was not any of the environment
files listed above and not /etc/security/user with the ^E, it's
somewhere else. The way I fixed this was to remove the user and re-
add it.

HTH someone else,
Pete's

Henry

Mar 6, 2008, 9:18:38 PM3/6/08

this can someone if someone has manually hacked the /etc/security/
passwd file :)
did you do a "cat -tev filename" ?

Pete's

Mar 7, 2008, 8:55:37 AM3/7/08

Yeah, I looked at that file along with group, roles, user.

Pete's