function keys in KEA/putty with AIX

learner

Mar 6, 2006, 3:46:03 AM3/6/06
I'm observing some puzzling behaviour when accessing our AIX 5.3 server
over telnet. We have two telnet clients available, one is KEA! and one
is putty. I'd really prefer to switch over to putty but the function
keys aren't working! I'm using term vt220 for both programs, and F1 -
F4 keys are working and sending the same character codes which appear
on command line as PQRS. However with keys F5 - F12, KEA! sends a
return char for F5 and then ~7, ~8, ~9. ~0, ~1, ~3, ~4 for the other
keys up to F12. Putty sends PQRS for F1 to F4 and then for F5 to F12
it sends TUVWXYZ[.

Can anyone help me to set up putty to send the function key codes AIX
is expecting? Or point me in the direction of some other help? I've
seen lots of posts about getting putty and AIX set up properly but none
of them seemed to cover this exact problem.

Thanks for your time

Lorna

sjm

Mar 6, 2006, 5:28:51 AM3/6/06

Sounds like KEA! isn't quite behaving like a real vt220 - check here:

http://aperiodic.net/phil/archives/Geekery/term-function-keys.html

In putty, try Configuration -> Terminal -> Keyboard and try a different
keyboard function key option. Also read here:

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.58/htmldoc/Chapter4.html#config-funkeys

You may wish however to build a suitable terminfo file to suit the
behaviour you want.

sysarch

Mar 6, 2006, 10:22:02 AM3/6/06
In Putty I use the ESC[n~ setting under Terminal > Keyboard > The
Function keys and keyboard. Then in the AIX telnet session the
terminal is set to xterm. In this mode I have not experienced function
or special key problems, while each of the other modes has its own
quirks and problems.

Jean-Marc DURO

Mar 6, 2006, 12:15:51 PM3/6/06
learner a écrit :

I use a VT400 keyboard type but it does work only for F10 (maybe also
some function keys below, but not F1 to F4). For the lower function
keys, I have to type ESC 3 for F3, ESC 4 for F4 and so on.

TERM is set to vt220.

Jean-Marc

Markus Baertschi

Mar 6, 2006, 4:45:03 PM3/6/06
learner wrote:
> Can anyone help me to set up putty to send the function key codes AIX
> is expecting? Or point me in the direction of some other help? I've
> seen lots of posts about getting putty and AIX set up properly but none
> of them seemed to cover this exact problem.
>
> Thanks for your time
>
> Lorna

I'm using putty every day with AIX and my function keys work ! My
terminal-type string (Connection-data) is set to 'xterm', which I think
is the default. The only other setting I change is in Terminal-keyboard
where I set Backspace to send a Control-H.

Markus

Ted Linnell

Mar 6, 2006, 10:38:15 PM3/6/06
Jean-Marc DURO <jean-ma...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

On a real VT terminal the top 4 keys on the number pad are F1 - F4.

| Ted Linnell <edli...@acslink.net.au> |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

learner

Mar 8, 2006, 4:19:29 AM3/8/06

> Sounds like KEA! isn't quite behaving like a real vt220 - check here:
>
> http://aperiodic.net/phil/archives/Geekery/term-function-keys.html

Yay, this link has helped and by setting putty's keyboard to Xterm R86
I now have keys F1 to F12 working as expected. However the
applications I'm using also make use of F13 to F36, and these are
coming out as just F1 to F12 again regardless of whether I hold down
shift, ctrl or neither. I think shift should give me F13 to F24 and
ctrl should produce F25 to F36.

So I've made some progress which is great and I appreciate everyone's
input, but does anyone have another suggestion for me to move forward
with the higher function keys? I am unsure whether I should be working
with terminfo since the problem seems to be with what keys the windows
app sends to the server rather than how the server interprets the
input.

Thanks to everyone

Lorna

learner

Mar 8, 2006, 8:48:02 AM3/8/06
In addition to my earlier comments, I have realised two things:
a) I only need function keys up to F20
b) putty correctly implements these by using the shift key to raise F1
to F11, F2 to F12 and so on.

I was confused because KEA uses ctrl to raise the keys and this wasn't
working in putty. Thanks again to everyone who posted.

Lorna

bennet...@cnf.com

Mar 8, 2006, 10:55:57 AM3/8/06

Two points:

- Using Xterm R6 Function Key definition, CTL-Function-key produces
the same
escape sequences as Function-key alone (at least on version
0.53b)
- For details on using Putty, its site is the appropriate venue: