IBM RS/6000 H80

Fred Randall

Aug 31, 2001, 3:47:14 PM8/31/01
Can these be used as stand alone units? I can't even find the power
button....One of them doesn't even have a control panel on the front.

fred

Christer Palm

Aug 31, 2001, 7:02:42 PM8/31/01
Fred Randall wrote:

> Can these be used as stand alone units?

Do you mean the CEC drawer vs. the I/O drawer?
Hell no! Those have entirely different functions (which should be quite
obvious).

> I can't even find the power
> button....One of them doesn't even have a control panel on the front.

He he, well, maybe you should learn a little more about it before you
start to play around with it?
After all, we're talking about a ~$50,000 piece of equipment here.

--
Christer Palm

Fred Randall

Aug 31, 2001, 5:54:13 PM8/31/01
Ok, didn't realize the two units are one system. Got the system together
and it boots and gets to a B1014602 message (service processor firmware
failure). Is this somthing I can deal with or so I need to involve IBM?

"Christer Palm" <pa...@nogui.se> wrote in message

abdos

Sep 1, 2001, 5:55:46 AM9/1/01
"Fred Randall" <randall_fred@hot(nospam)mail.com> wrote in message news:<9mp15f$1k...@pen6.pen.k12.va.us>...

Well, for that error, check the correct cableing for the RIOs.
Otherwise, this will require a chenge of some failing parts. Refere to
the maintenance manual and get IBM support. How did u get this machine
anyway wihtout IBM support?

Fred Randall

Sep 1, 2001, 11:55:36 AM9/1/01
OK, now it boots and asks for "Console Login". This is a new system and has
not been configured. I have tried booting with the AIX cd and it seems to
still boot to the system. With "root" the screen just refreshes and asks
for "Console Login" again. Is there a default password for these systems
out of the box?

"abdos" <ab...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Christer Palm

Sep 1, 2001, 3:25:06 PM9/1/01
Fred Randall wrote:

> OK, now it boots and asks for "Console Login". This is a new system and has
> not been configured. I have tried booting with the AIX cd and it seems to
> still boot to the system. With "root" the screen just refreshes and asks
> for "Console Login" again. Is there a default password for these systems
> out of the box?

Nope, if it's preloaded, then there should be a null password for the
root user, i.e. just entering root should let you in without asking for
a password.

Does it ever ask for the root password?
If not, but just gives you the login prompt again something else is
wrong (probably a serial cable problem - do you use an IBM provided
console/serial cable?).

If you want to re-install, which I personally always do with a new
system anyway to get exactly what I want on the box, you need to enter
the firmware menu by pressing '1' on the console after the beep, select
'install from' and then the select CDROM drive. However, if you're not
familiar with AIX you might be better off with keeping the pre-installed
AIX. At least for starters.

Having said that, this box is CE setup which means that an IBM service
tech is supposed to go on-site and set up the hardware for you.

--
Christer Palm

Fred Randall

Sep 1, 2001, 6:15:13 PM9/1/01
I'll have to talk to the PHB about that. I am comfortable with Solaris and
most flavors of Linux BSD but this seems very foreign to me. I indeed was
using an improper serial cable (none provided). I have done a fresh install
(which seemed to be too easy). Now I am trying the install_asssit (ant) to
get the system configured as I need it. Thanks for all the help, hopefully
I will be able to go home this weekend afterall.

fred