Can't "boot cdrom" when trying to do Solaris 10 upgrade - Beginner Question

underh20.s...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2008, 3:18:15 PM12/22/08
Hello,

Our Sun E4500 server is currently running Solaris 8. I am trying to
upgrade it to Solaris 10.
After I had inserted the Solaris 10 installation CD, I issued the
"boot cdrom" at the OK prompt. Unfortunately, I got the following
error messages. I tried few times with the same disk and different
one but no avail. Does anyone know how to resolve this ? Attached is
the output from "eeprom" also at the end.

Thanks,

Bill

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@6,0:f file and args:
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating : boot cdrom

Can't open boot device

# eeprom
disabled-memory-list: data not available.
disabled-board-list: data not available.
memory-interleave=max
configuration-policy=component
scsi-initiator-id=7
keyboard-click?=false
keymap: data not available.
ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
ttyb-ignore-cd=true
ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
ttya-ignore-cd=true
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
sbus-specific-probe: data not available.
sbus-probe-default=d3120
mfg-mode=off
diag-level=min
powerfail-time=1176918575
fcode-debug?=false
output-device=screen
input-device=keyboard
load-base=16384
boot-command=boot
auto-boot?=true
watchdog-reboot?=false
diag-file: data not available.
diag-device=disk diskbrd diskisp disksoc net
boot-file: data not available.
boot-device=/sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@0,0:a
local-mac-address?=false
ansi-terminal?=true
screen-#columns=80
screen-#rows=34
silent-mode?=false
use-nvramrc?=true
nvramrc=devalias vx-rootdisk /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@0,0:a
devalias vx-rootmirror /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@1,0:a
security-mode=none
security-password: data not available.
security-#badlogins=2684354560
oem-logo: data not available.
oem-logo?=false
oem-banner: data not available.
oem-banner?=false
hardware-revision: data not available.
last-hardware-update=
diag-switch?=true

Ian Collins

Dec 22, 2008, 3:24:00 PM12/22/08
underh20.s...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our Sun E4500 server is currently running Solaris 8. I am trying to
> upgrade it to Solaris 10.
> After I had inserted the Solaris 10 installation CD, I issued the
> "boot cdrom" at the OK prompt. Unfortunately, I got the following
> error messages. I tried few times with the same disk and different
> one but no avail. Does anyone know how to resolve this ? Attached is
> the output from "eeprom" also at the end.

See the c.u.s thread "Is the Solaris 10 update 6 SPARC DVD any good?"
from early November.

--
Ian Collins

Richard B. Gilbert

Dec 22, 2008, 3:31:24 PM12/22/08
underh20.s...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our Sun E4500 server is currently running Solaris 8. I am trying to
> upgrade it to Solaris 10.
> After I had inserted the Solaris 10 installation CD, I issued the
> "boot cdrom" at the OK prompt. Unfortunately, I got the following
> error messages. I tried few times with the same disk and different
> one but no avail. Does anyone know how to resolve this ? Attached is
> the output from "eeprom" also at the end.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>

> ok boot cdrom
> Boot device: /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@6,0:f file and args:
> Bad magic number in disk label
> Can't open disk label package
> Evaluating : boot cdrom

What CD are you booting from? Is it home made or did you order one from
Sun? If you made your own, I suspect that you did something wrong.

Michael Weis

Dec 23, 2008, 4:57:00 AM12/23/08
underh20.s...@gmail.com wrote at 22.12.2008 21:18

> Hello,
>
> Our Sun E4500 server is currently running Solaris 8. I am trying to
> upgrade it to Solaris 10.
>
> ok boot cdrom
> Boot device: /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@6,0:f file and args:
> Bad magic number in disk label