dvips: Font favr8r not found, characters will be left blank.

Stroller

Nov 8, 2006, 11:32:47 AM11/8/06
I think this question is not scrictly related to LaTeX - I have also posted
this to the CUPS newsgroup, as my version of dvips came as part of CUPS' ESP
Ghostscript - but the problem arises because I have installed the Arev font
[1] for use with LaTeX.

My distro is Gentoo; it offers only a handful of CTAN packages via its own
package manager (Portage) but also allows the MiKTeX Tools package manager to
be installed, so Arev has been installed using this (as were the Emerald
fonts, for example, which work fine). After adding its character map to
updmap.cfg, then installing the Mathdesign & Bera fonts which it requires
LaTeX documents seem to compile fine:

$ rubber arev.tex
compiling arev.tex...
$

(the above .tex file is <http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/arev/arev.tex> with
only one modification:
%\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
)

However dvipdf gives this error:
$ dvipdf arev.dvi
dvips: Font favr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font favri8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font favb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font favmb7t not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font favmr7t not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font favmri7m not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Font favmr7t not found, characters will be left blank.
$

So I try to cheat:

$ locate favr8r favri8r favb8r favmb7t favmr7t favmri7m favmr7t
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favr8r.tfm
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favri8r.tfm
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favb8r.tfm
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmb7t.tfm
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmr7t.tfm
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmri7m.tfm
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favmr7t.tfm
$ kpsewhich --show-path .tfm
.:/home/stroller/texmf/fonts/tfm//:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/
tfm//:!!/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm//:/var/cache/fonts/tfm//
$ ls /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/
emerald mathdesign public
$ cd /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/ .
Password:
$ ls
arev emerald mathdesign public
$ ls *
arev:
ArevSans-Bold.tfm favbi8r.tfm favmri7m.tfm zavmbi7m.tfm
ArevSans-BoldOblique.tfm favbi8t.tfm favr8r.tfm zavmr7t.tfm
ArevSans-Oblique.tfm favmb7t.tfm favr8t.tfm zavmr7y.tfm
ArevSans-Roman.tfm favmbi7m.tfm favri8r.tfm zavmri7m.tfm
favb8r.tfm favmr7t.tfm favri8t.tfm
favb8t.tfm favmr7y.tfm zavmb7t.tfm

emerald:
fapmd.tfm fdcmd7te.tfm fjdmw8c.tfm fsbmi.tfm fspmr8t.tfm
fapmd7t.tfm fdcmd8r.tfm fjdmw8r.tfm fsbmi7t.tfm fspmr8y.tfm
fapmd8r.tfm fdcmd8rc.tfm fjdmw8t.tfm fsbmi8c.tfm fsymp.tfm
fapmd8t.tfm fdcmd8re.tfm fjdmw8y.tfm fsbmi8r.tfm fsymp7t.tfm

It still doesn't work. :(

Obviously I've missed something obvious here, so I'd be grateful for any
pointers. I am afraid I am not finding paths to be a simple matter in
production of LaTeX documents. I'm finding this extremely frustrating as I
previously (last night) had a DIFFERENT error message which I cannot
reproduce.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Stroller.

[1] http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/arev/index.html

Ulrike Fischer

Nov 8, 2006, 12:23:52 PM11/8/06
Stroller <stro...@bigfoot.com> schrieb:

> I think this question is not scrictly related to LaTeX - I have also
> posted this to the CUPS newsgroup, as my version of dvips came as part
> of CUPS' ESP Ghostscript - but the problem arises because I have
> installed the Arev font [1] for use with LaTeX.
>
> My distro is Gentoo; it offers only a handful of CTAN packages via its
> own package manager (Portage) but also allows the MiKTeX Tools package
> manager to be installed, so Arev has been installed using this (as
> were the Emerald fonts, for example, which work fine). After adding
> its character map to updmap.cfg, then installing the Mathdesign & Bera
> fonts which it requires LaTeX documents seem to compile fine:
>
> $ rubber arev.tex
> compiling arev.tex...
> $
>
> (the above .tex file is
> <http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/arev/arev.tex> with only one
> modification:
> %\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
> )
>
> However dvipdf gives this error:
> $ dvipdf arev.dvi
> dvips: Font favr8r not found, characters will be left blank.

> So I try to cheat:
>
> $ locate favr8r favri8r favb8r favmb7t favmr7t favmri7m favmr7t
> /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favr8r.tfm

dvips doesn't search tfm (tex font metrics) but e.g. pfb-files. So
where are they?

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zusätzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einfügen.

Stroller

Nov 8, 2006, 7:02:05 PM11/8/06
Ulrike Fischer wrote:

>> However dvipdf gives this error:
>> $ dvipdf arev.dvi
>> dvips: Font favr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
>
>> So I try to cheat:
>>
>> $ locate favr8r favri8r favb8r favmb7t favmr7t favmri7m favmr7t
>> /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favr8r.tfm
>
> dvips doesn't search tfm (tex font metrics) but e.g. pfb-files. So
> where are they?

Many thanks for your help again, Mr Fischer.

I was about to answer this question - from looking at
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/fonts/arev/tex/ and its subdirectories I
believe I can tell you - but somehow the problem has resolved itself.

All I have done on this system since I posted this morning was to run `updmap`
and try `dvipdf arev.dvi` again. It worked perfectly. I was sure I had run
`updmap` previously, but decided to prove the point by remove the symlink from
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/ to
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/. I ran `updmap` again & it still worked
perfectly. :/

So I'm pleased to have Arev installed & working on my system, but I have no
explanation for what happened there. It was pretty late at night when I
started using Arev yesterday, but nevertheless I can't see what's changed
today. There seem to be no cron jobs on my system that relate either to
ghostscript or LaTeX which might have updated paths configurations.

I apologise for wasting your time,

Stroller.

Ulrike Fischer

Nov 9, 2006, 5:02:28 AM11/9/06
Stroller <stro...@bigfoot.com> schrieb:

> Many thanks for your help again, Mr Fischer.

I'm a woman.

Ralf Stubner

Nov 9, 2006, 8:58:50 AM11/9/06
Stroller <stro...@bigfoot.com> writes:

> All I have done on this system since I posted this morning was to run `updmap`
> and try `dvipdf arev.dvi` again. It worked perfectly. I was sure I had run
> `updmap` previously,

Do you use teTeX 2 or teTeX 3 on your Gentoo system? If you are using
teTeX 3, you should learn about the difference between updmap (per user
configuration) and updmap-sys (systemwide configuration). It is
especially important that running updmap as user will hide further
changes to the system wide font setup.

cheerio
ralf

Dan

Nov 9, 2006, 4:18:12 PM11/9/06

Stroller wrote:
> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> >> However dvipdf gives this error:
> >> $ dvipdf arev.dvi
> >> dvips: Font favr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> >
> >> So I try to cheat:
> >>
> >> $ locate favr8r favri8r favb8r favmb7t favmr7t favmri7m favmr7t
> >> /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/favr8r.tfm
> >
> > dvips doesn't search tfm (tex font metrics) but e.g. pfb-files. So
> > where are they?
>
> Many thanks for your help again, Mr Fischer.
>
> I was about to answer this question - from looking at
> http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/fonts/arev/tex/ and its subdirectories I
> believe I can tell you - but somehow the problem has resolved itself.
>
> All I have done on this system since I posted this morning was to run `updmap`
> and try `dvipdf arev.dvi` again. It worked perfectly. I was sure I had run
> `updmap` previously, but decided to prove the point by remove the symlink from
> /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/arev/ to
> /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/. I ran `updmap` again & it still worked
> perfectly. :/

When dvips reports it cannot find a font, the main possibilities
are that the files are in the wrong place, or you forgot to run
texhash. This program is what lets all other programs know where
to find their inputs.

If the map file were the problem, most likely dvips would
complain of not being able to create the font and leave behind
a missfonts.log file.

Running updmap again probably worked because updmap runs
texhash. Perhaps you copied the arev .pfb files into place after
you ran updmap, and then forgot to run texhash.

Dan

Stroller

Nov 11, 2006, 2:15:19 PM11/11/06
Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Stroller <stro...@bigfoot.com> schrieb:
>
>> Many thanks for your help again, Mr Fischer.
>
> I'm a woman.

My apologies. I shall take more care in future when parsing non-English names.

Stroller.

Stroller

Nov 11, 2006, 2:26:37 PM11/11/06
Dan wrote:

> When dvips reports it cannot find a font, the main possibilities
> are that the files are in the wrong place, or you forgot to run
> texhash. ...

> Running updmap again probably worked because updmap runs
> texhash.

Ah, of course! `texhash` is the name of the utility I had forgotten. I learned
to use it some days ago, and then forgot what it was named... and so have been
using `updmap` to "call" `texhash` ever since!! :/

> Perhaps you copied the arev .pfb files into place after
> you ran updmap, and then forgot to run texhash.

Quite possibly so. Unfortunately I'm still at the stage at which I don't fully
understand what all the processes do, so I'm not yet well-equipped for
trouble-shooting.

Thank you for your help,

Stroller.

Stroller

Nov 11, 2006, 2:22:30 PM11/11/06

$ eix ^teTeX
* app-text/tetex
Available versions: 2.0.2-r5 2.0.2-r8 ~2.0.2-r9 ~3.0-r3 ~3.0-r4 ~3.0_p1
~3.0_p1-r1 ~3.0_p1-r2 3.0_p1-r3
Installed: 2.0.2-r8
Homepage: http://tug.org/teTeX/

$

I had seen updmap-sys mentioned somewhere else and wondered why it wasn't
installed on my system. I have been consistently running `sudo updmap` - I
think that under teTeX 2 unprivileged users are not allowed to run `updmap`,
as that would affect the whole system?

Stroller.