source specials in pdf?

Oleg Paraschenko

Sep 3, 2006, 10:21:30 PM9/3/06
Hello all,

as you know,

<quote>
Some TeX implementations or macro packages provide the facility to au-
tomatically include so-called `source specials' into a .dvi file.
These contain the line number, eventually a column number, and the
filename of the .tex source. This makes it possible to jump from a .dvi
file to the corresponding place in the .tex source and back (also
called `reverse search' and `forward search').
</quote>

I wonder if such functionality is possible for PDF files,
in particular, in the xpdf viewer.

Thanks for suggestions.

--
Oleg Parashchenko olpa@ http://uucode.com/
http://uucode.com/blog/ Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme

Will Robertson

Sep 3, 2006, 11:36:18 PM9/3/06
Oleg Paraschenko wrote:

> I wonder if such functionality is possible for PDF files,
> in particular, in the xpdf viewer.

There have been two such attempts that I know of.
Heiko Oberdiek's vpe:
<http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/vpe/>
Haven't used it, but his reputation precedes him.

Jerome Laurens' pdfsync is more unofficial (not on CTAN, grrr), but I
believe it's supported in AucTeX these days:
<http://itexmac.sourceforge.net/pdfsync.html>
(It's also got support in a couple of Mac OS X editor/frontends.)

Hope this helps,
Will

Oleg Paraschenko

Sep 3, 2006, 11:57:08 PM9/3/06
Hi Will,

thanks for the links. It's exactly what I'm looking for.