enlarging pdf

Allan Adler

Dec 5, 2007, 1:55:20 AM12/5/07
I just downloaded a calculator manual from
ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/edu/en/GY300_Dtype_E.pdf
This seems to be an online version of the instructions that accompany
the Casio fx-300MS calculator. The pdf file is 40 pages. The instructions
that accompany the calculator ingeniously cram these 40 pages onto two
sides of a roughly 11x17 page with 5 columns of text on each side. This
results in rather small print. Unfortunately, the pdf file seems also to
have small print on small pages.

I can convert the pdf file to ps with pdf2ps. What I would like to know is
how I can modify the resulting ps file so that:
(1) The print on each page is expanded to occupy a normal 8.5 x 11 page.
(2) In so doing the page size is limited to 8.5 x 11, instead of expanding
with the print.
(3) The resulting ps file can then be converted back to pdf using ps2pdf
and will print out with the larger print.

If someone has another way to do it, I'd like to know about it. If someone
wants to do the enlargement and let me download it, that would be ok too.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <a...@zurich.csail.mit.edu>

Ulrike Fischer

Dec 5, 2007, 3:46:05 AM12/5/07
Am 05 Dec 2007 01:55:20 -0500 schrieb Allan Adler:

> I just downloaded a calculator manual from
> ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/edu/en/GY300_Dtype_E.pdf
> This seems to be an online version of the instructions that accompany
> the Casio fx-300MS calculator. The pdf file is 40 pages. The instructions
> that accompany the calculator ingeniously cram these 40 pages onto two
> sides of a roughly 11x17 page with 5 columns of text on each side. This
> results in rather small print. Unfortunately, the pdf file seems also to
> have small print on small pages.
>
> I can convert the pdf file to ps with pdf2ps. What I would like to know is
> how I can modify the resulting ps file so that:
> (1) The print on each page is expanded to occupy a normal 8.5 x 11 page.
> (2) In so doing the page size is limited to 8.5 x 11, instead of expanding
> with the print.
> (3) The resulting ps file can then be converted back to pdf using ps2pdf
> and will print out with the larger print.
>
> If someone has another way to do it, I'd like to know about it. If someone
> wants to do the enlargement and let me download it, that would be ok too.

I would use pdfpages to import the pdf in a new one.

Btw: You have set a curious "follow-up" to "y".

--
Ulrike Fischer

Allan Adler

Dec 5, 2007, 12:01:32 PM12/5/07
Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> writes:

>Allan Adler wrote:
> > I can convert the pdf file to ps with pdf2ps. What I would like to know is
> > how I can modify the resulting ps file so that:
> > (1) The print on each page is expanded to occupy a normal 8.5 x 11 page.
> > (2) In so doing the page size is limited to 8.5 x 11, instead of expanding
> > with the print.
> > (3) The resulting ps file can then be converted back to pdf using ps2pdf
> > and will print out with the larger print.
> >
> > If someone has another way to do it, I'd like to know about it. If someone
> > wants to do the enlargement and let me download it, that would be ok too.
>
> I would use pdfpages to import the pdf in a new one.

Thanks, I'm looking at the documentation for it now.

> Btw: You have set a curious "follow-up" to "y".

The n key on my laptop is broken. The way I deal with this is to do as
much as possible in emacs and to make sure the n is in my yank buffer.
When that isn't possible, I also cut and paste n's with the mouse.
Sometimes I make mistakes and spurious y's get left in strange places.

Sanjoy Mahajan

Dec 5, 2007, 8:36:20 PM12/5/07
Use pdftops from the xpdf tools:

pdftops -expand -paper letter file.pdf - | ps2pdf - file-enlarged.pdf

-Sanjoy

`Not all who wander are lost' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Allan Adler

Dec 6, 2007, 10:56:31 AM12/6/07
Sanjoy Mahajan <san...@mrao.cam.ac.uk> writes:

[CASIO]> pdftops -expand -paper letter GY300_Dtype_E.pdf - | ps2pdf - gy300.pdf
pdftops version 0.92
Copyright 1996-2000 Derek B. Noonburg
Usage: pdftops [options] <PDF-file> [<PS-file>]
-f <int> : first page to print
-l <int> : last page to print
-paperw <int> : paper width, in points
-paperh <int> : paper height, in points
-level1 : generate Level 1 PostScript
-level1sep : generate Level 1 separable PostScript
-eps : generate Encapsulated PostScript (EPS)
-opi : generate OPI comments
-noemb : don't embed Type 1 fonts
-form : generate a PostScript form
-upw <string> : user password (for encrypted files)
-q : don't print any messages or errors
-v : print copyright and version info
-h : print usage information
-help : print usage information
Error: /typecheck in --.unread--
[snip]

Helge Blischke

Dec 6, 2007, 11:07:58 AM12/6/07

Your pdftops version is too old (0.92). The latest is,
I think, 3.03, but all >= 3.0 certainly will do
(they know the "-expand").

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung

H.Bli...@acm.org

Allan Adler

Dec 7, 2007, 9:28:04 AM12/7/07
Helge Blischke <h.bli...@srz.de> writes:

> Allan Adler wrote:
> > Sanjoy Mahajan <san...@mrao.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> >>Use pdftops from the xpdf tools:
> >> pdftops -expand -paper letter file.pdf - | ps2pdf - file-enlarged.pdf
> >

> >[CASIO]> pdftops -expand -paper letter GY300_Dtype_E.pdf - | ps2pdf - gy300.pdf
> > pdftops version 0.92
> > Copyright 1996-2000 Derek B. Noonburg
> > Usage: pdftops [options] <PDF-file> [<PS-file>]
> > -f <int> : first page to print
> > -l <int> : last page to print

[snip]

> Your pdftops version is too old (0.92). The latest is,
> I think, 3.03, but all >= 3.0 certainly will do
> (they know the "-expand").

Before upgrading, I'd like to use other resources on my machine. If the
pdf file is converted with pdf2ps to a ps file, the following command:
pstops -pletter 0@2(1.25in,0) g2.ps g3.ps
leads to the error message:
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `0@2(1'
I've tried a lot of variants but don't know what I am doing. All the
error messages are similar. According to the man page, I should be able
to do something like that.

Brian Blackmore

Dec 7, 2007, 9:46:01 AM12/7/07
In comp.text.tex Allan Adler <a...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> Before upgrading, I'd like to use other resources on my machine. If the
> pdf file is converted with pdf2ps to a ps file, the following command:
> pstops -pletter 0@2(1.25in,0) g2.ps g3.ps
> leads to the error message:
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `0@2(1'

You have to quote it. Parentheses are used to create subshells.

--
Brian Blackmore
blb8 at po dot cwru dot edu

Allan Adler

Dec 7, 2007, 10:19:29 AM12/7/07
Brian Blackmore <bl...@po.cwru.edu> writes:

> In comp.text.tex Allan Adler <a...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> > Before upgrading, I'd like to use other resources on my machine. If the
> > pdf file is converted with pdf2ps to a ps file, the following command:
> > pstops -pletter 0@2(1.25in,0) g2.ps g3.ps
> > leads to the error message:
> > bash: syntax error near unexpected token `0@2(1'
>
> You have to quote it. Parentheses are used to create subshells.

Can you be a little more explicit? I tried, for example,
pstops -pletter 0@2('1.25in',0) g2.ps g3.ps
and also '(1.25in,0)' and a few other variants and got error messages from
pstops about usage. Putting only one quote, as in lisp, makes the shell
think the line hasn't ended. Backslash before each parenthesis doesn't work.
Putting each parenthesis in quotes like ')' doesn't work. Using double
quotes like "(" doesn't work, etc.

Robin Fairbairns

Dec 7, 2007, 10:52:56 AM12/7/07
Allan Adler <a...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> writes:
>Brian Blackmore <bl...@po.cwru.edu> writes:
>
>> In comp.text.tex Allan Adler <a...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>> > Before upgrading, I'd like to use other resources on my machine. If the
>> > pdf file is converted with pdf2ps to a ps file, the following command:
>> > pstops -pletter 0@2(1.25in,0) g2.ps g3.ps
>> > leads to the error message:
>> > bash: syntax error near unexpected token `0@2(1'
>>
>> You have to quote it. Parentheses are used to create subshells.
>
>Can you be a little more explicit? I tried, for example,
>pstops -pletter 0@2('1.25in',0) g2.ps g3.ps

cunning: quote something that's not a parenthesis. hmmm.

>and also '(1.25in,0)' and a few other variants and got error messages from
>pstops about usage. Putting only one quote, as in lisp, makes the shell
>think the line hasn't ended. Backslash before each parenthesis doesn't work.
>Putting each parenthesis in quotes like ')' doesn't work. Using double
>quotes like "(" doesn't work, etc.

did you really not try

pstops -pletter '0@2(1.25in,0)' g2.ps g3.ps

(or the same with double quotes)?

since i don't have pstops i can't guaranetee it'll work; but that was
what i took brian to have meant.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Allan Adler

Dec 7, 2007, 11:12:12 AM12/7/07

'0@2(1.25in,0)' is also not a parenthesis.

> >and also '(1.25in,0)' and a few other variants and got error messages from
> >pstops about usage. Putting only one quote, as in lisp, makes the shell
> >think the line hasn't ended. Backslash before each parenthesis doesn't work.
> >Putting each parenthesis in quotes like ')' doesn't work. Using double
> >quotes like "(" doesn't work, etc.
>
> did you really not try
>
> pstops -pletter '0@2(1.25in,0)' g2.ps g3.ps
>
> (or the same with double quotes)?
>
> since i don't have pstops i can't guaranetee it'll work; but that was
> what i took brian to have meant.

I really really really did not try what you wrote. And what you wrote
works. Thanks a lot!