numbered paragraph

ml...@mysc.de

Mar 2, 2009, 4:27:19 AM3/2/09
Hi all,

i want a numbered paragraph, i.e. 1.1.1.1. paragraph title
using amsbook. the hitherto structure is
\part
\chapter
\section
\subsection
\subsubsection

at this place i want a further subsection by continued numbering. I
already saw, that this can be achieved by using

\renewcommand\paragraph{%
\@startsection{paragraph}% section name
{4}% section level
{\z@}% indentation
{-3.25ex\@plus -1ex \@minus -.2ex}% before skip
{1.5ex \@plus .2ex}% afterskip
{\bfseries}}% font

Where exactly do I have to insert these lines? The definition part
before the \begin{document} command won´t work.

Thanks a lot,
Martin

Now the problem: I get the error: You can´t use '\spacefactor' in
vertical mode

Ulrike Fischer

Mar 2, 2009, 4:29:27 AM3/2/09

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=atvert
--
Ulrike Fischer

ml...@mysc.de

Mar 2, 2009, 4:57:53 AM3/2/09
> > Now the problem: I get the error: You can´t use '\spacefactor' in
> > vertical mode

actually these two lines shouldn´t appear in the original post, so
please ignore them.

Ulrike Fischer

Mar 2, 2009, 6:14:57 AM3/2/09

Hm. I can certainly do it. But you shouldn't ignore the lines, you
also shouldn't ignore the link I gave you. I'm rather certain that
your problem ("The definition part before the \begin{document}
command won´t work.") is related to it.

You should also read the following:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=askquestion
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl

--
Ulrike Fischer

ml...@mysc.de

Mar 2, 2009, 7:50:25 AM3/2/09

> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=askquestionhttp://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl

\documentclass{amsbook}
\begin{document}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{4}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{6} % <------------------------------ this line
causes the problem, without this line, everything works fine, but i
want the table of contents to contain all subsections
\tableofcontents
\part{Part}
\chapter{Chapter}
\section{section}
\subsection{subsection}
\subsubsection{subsubsection}
\paragraph{paragraph}
\end{document}

Martin

Ulrike Fischer

Mar 2, 2009, 8:15:51 AM3/2/09
Am Mon, 2 Mar 2009 04:50:25 -0800 (PST) schrieb ml...@mysc.de:

>> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=askquestion

>>http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
>
> \documentclass{amsbook}
> \begin{document}
> \setcounter{secnumdepth}{4}
> \setcounter{tocdepth}{6} % <------------------------------ this line
> causes the problem, without this line, everything works fine, but i
> want the table of contents to contain all subsections
> \tableofcontents
> \part{Part}
> \chapter{Chapter}
> \section{section}
> \subsection{subsection}
> \subsubsection{subsubsection}
> \paragraph{paragraph}
> \end{document}

amsbook hard codes a level of tocdepth of 3. I think you can use
more levels by defining the missing command manually. I don't know
if it matters somewhere what value you use. At least in your example
I get the same result with 0pt than with 80pt.

\documentclass{amsbook}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{4}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{4} %
\expandafter\def\csname r@tocindent4\endcsname{0pt}