sad news about Eitan Gurari

William F Hammond

Jun 29, 2009, 4:26:23 PM6/29/09

I'm sorry to have found the following post of this date on the W3C
MathML discussion list:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/2009Jun/0040.html

which points to this announcement

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/news/news102.shtml

from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at The
Ohio State University of the sudden death of Eitan Gurari on
June 22.

Gurari was known in the discussion here as the author of tex4ht,
a widely used tool for the translation of LaTeX to HTML and
various XML document types.

I always found him to be most helpful. We shall miss him.

-- Bill

William F. Hammond Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625 The University at Albany
ham...@math.albany.edu Albany, NY 12222 (U.S.A.)
http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/ Dept. FAX: 518-442-4731

Turgut Durduran

Jun 29, 2009, 10:50:40 PM6/29/09
On 2009-06-29, William F Hammond <ham...@csc.albany.edu> wrote:

> I'm sorry to have found the following post of this date on the W3C
> MathML discussion list:

That is indeed very sad to hear . He was always eager to help. I hope his
creation lives on.

Turgut

Tom Dye

Jun 29, 2009, 11:29:05 PM6/29/09

This is sad news. tex4ht is a terrific piece of software and Eitan's
maintenance of it was a model of efficiency and courtesy.

Tom

--
Tom Dye
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.

Peter Flynn

Jun 30, 2009, 4:50:52 PM6/30/09
William F Hammond wrote:
> I'm sorry to have found the following post of this date on the W3C
> MathML discussion list:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/2009Jun/0040.html
>
> which points to this announcement
>
> http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/news/news102.shtml

This is very sad indeed. TeX4ht has been a mainstay of conversion for
many years and Eitan was always very quick to help.

///Peter

Jonathan Fine

Jul 6, 2009, 6:40:39 AM7/6/09
I'm also saddened by the unexpected death of Eitan. He worked hard in
the important and unfashionable area of conversion of TeX/LaTeX to HTML.

His quiet and diligent work has made a real contribution to our
community, which continues after his death. He will be missed.

I very much hope that, in time, people and resources will emerge so that
his creation tex4ht will continue to prosper.

Sad news indeed.

--
Jonathan