rotating and pdflatex

Xiaotian Sun

Oct 29, 2004, 2:18:02 AM10/29/04

I'm using the sidewaysfigure and sidewaystable from rotating package for my wide figures and tables. However, I found that when I follow the dvips+ps2pdf route, the page containing the rotated float in the final pdf file is actually rotated (displayed in the landscape position on screen). If I use pdflatex, then that page is not in landscape position (though the figure itself does rotate). This of course causes difficulty to read on screen, though doesn't really affect the print out.

On a side note, the lscape package does rotate the page itself in pdflatex. But I do like my rotate figures and tables to float.

Nothing about this is mentioned on the documentation of rotating. (Seems the package hasn't been updated for a while.)

Any thoughts?

Best,

Xiaotian

Robin Fairbairns

Oct 29, 2004, 5:13:20 AM10/29/04
Xiaotian Sun <su...@berkeley.edu> writes:
>I'm using the sidewaysfigure and sidewaystable from rotating package
>for my wide figures and tables. However, I found that when I follow
>the dvips+ps2pdf route, the page containing the rotated float in the
>final pdf file is actually rotated (displayed in the landscape
>position on screen). If I use pdflatex, then that page is not in
>landscape position (though the figure itself does rotate). This of
>course causes difficulty to read on screen, though doesn't really
>affect the print out.
>
>On a side note, the lscape package does rotate the page itself in
>pdflatex.

really? i find i need pdflscape.sty to achieve that. (but then i'm
only using 1.20a-rc4, so perhaps there's some change in the final
released version. otoh, why that would affect lscape and not rotating
is beyond me...)

> But I do like my rotate figures and tables to float.

fair enough. what i could reasonably do is provide a "pdf" option to
rotating and in the presence of that, or of running under pdftex in
pdf output mode, to load pdflscape and use its facilities.

please confirm that i've got the right idea about pdflscape, and i'll
set out to make the change.

>Nothing about this is mentioned on the documentation of
>rotating. (Seems the package hasn't been updated for a while.)

i took over maintenance some time ago, and haven't seen a reason to
change it (the one infelicity i knew of hasn't apparently affected
anyone but me and my customer). the delay has come from the struggle
to write coherent documentation.

i don't believe pdftex was an issue when the original was written...
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge

Ulrike Fischer

Oct 29, 2004, 8:32:59 AM10/29/04
r...@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) schrieb:

>>Nothing about this is mentioned on the documentation of
>>rotating. (Seems the package hasn't been updated for a while.)
>
> i took over maintenance some time ago, and haven't seen a reason to
> change it (the one infelicity i knew of hasn't apparently affected
> anyone but me and my customer). the delay has come from the struggle
> to write coherent documentation.
>
> i don't believe pdftex was an issue when the original was written...

With pdf you get a new problem: what to do with the pagestyle of the
float page of a sidewaystable. In print, retaining the portrait heading
and footer is sensible. But when you rotate on the screen the page to
landscape such heading would look rather strange. You can change the
pagestyle of floatpages with fancyhdr, but a more flexible solution for
single float pages would fine. Also with pdf intended for screen it is
not really necessary to first rotate the table and then to rotate it
back with the page, it is enough to change the papersize and layout.

I think a package that lets you put floats on pages with own pagestyle
and layout would fine.

(In d.c.t.t there also was a discussion about sidewaystable. The poster
wanted a landscape floatpage with empty pagestyle and also rotated in
the pdf-viewer. He ended with using a normal table along with
\afterpage{\pdfpagewidth=\paperheight ... })

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zusätzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einfügen.

Robin Fairbairns

Oct 29, 2004, 9:50:17 AM10/29/04
Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> writes:
>r...@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) schrieb:
>>>Nothing about this is mentioned on the documentation of
>>>rotating. (Seems the package hasn't been updated for a while.)
>>
>> i took over maintenance some time ago, and haven't seen a reason to
>> change it (the one infelicity i knew of hasn't apparently affected
>> anyone but me and my customer). the delay has come from the struggle
>> to write coherent documentation.
>>
>> i don't believe pdftex was an issue when the original was written...
>
>With pdf you get a new problem: what to do with the pagestyle of the
>float page of a sidewaystable. In print, retaining the portrait heading
>and footer is sensible. But when you rotate on the screen the page to
>landscape such heading would look rather strange. You can change the
>pagestyle of floatpages with fancyhdr, but a more flexible solution for
>single float pages would fine.

good point. i'll look into adapting the fancyhdr mechanism (whose
details i've completely forgotten).

>Also with pdf intended for screen it is
>not really necessary to first rotate the table and then to rotate it
>back with the page, it is enough to change the papersize and layout.
>
>I think a package that lets you put floats on pages with own pagestyle
>and layout would fine.
>
>(In d.c.t.t there also was a discussion about sidewaystable. The poster
>wanted a landscape floatpage with empty pagestyle and also rotated in
>the pdf-viewer. He ended with using a normal table along with
>\afterpage{\pdfpagewidth=\paperheight ... })

well, of course, none of these things are _really_ necessary --
sidewaystable is no more than a convenience. however, rotating in the
pdf viewer is what pdflscape will do for you, and that will most
definitely be available in the next version of rotating...

Heiko Oberdiek

Oct 29, 2004, 8:46:57 AM10/29/04
Xiaotian Sun <su...@berkeley.edu> wrote:

[My screen is a little small for your lines, please limit your line
length.]

> On a side note, the lscape package does rotate the page itself in pdflatex. But I do like my rotate figures and tables to float.

You have tried package "pdflscape"?
The "landscape" environment can be used without "figure" and "table".

Yours sincerely
Heiko <ober...@uni-freiburg.de>

Xiaotian Sun

Oct 29, 2004, 12:51:37 PM10/29/04
Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> writes:
>
>>r...@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) schrieb:
>>
>>With pdf you get a new problem: what to do with the pagestyle of the
>>float page of a sidewaystable. In print, retaining the portrait heading
>>and footer is sensible. But when you rotate on the screen the page to
>>landscape such heading would look rather strange. You can change the
>>pagestyle of floatpages with fancyhdr, but a more flexible solution for
>>single float pages would fine.
>

> good point. i'll look into adapting the fancyhdr mechanism (whose
> details i've completely forgotten).
>

>>Also with pdf intended for screen it is
>>not really necessary to first rotate the table and then to rotate it
>>back with the page, it is enough to change the papersize and layout.
>>
>>I think a package that lets you put floats on pages with own pagestyle
>>and layout would fine.
>>
>>(In d.c.t.t there also was a discussion about sidewaystable. The poster
>>wanted a landscape floatpage with empty pagestyle and also rotated in
>>the pdf-viewer. He ended with using a normal table along with
>>\afterpage{\pdfpagewidth=\paperheight ... })
>

> well, of course, none of these things are _really_ necessary --
> sidewaystable is no more than a convenience. however, rotating in the
> pdf viewer is what pdflscape will do for you, and that will most
> definitely be available in the next version of rotating...

right. this is not *really* necessary, since the final output I care
most about is the print-out---it's my dissertation. and I do like to
have the header and footer be there on the rotated pages. all this is
just that I want to provide more convenience to somebody (if there's
really somebody gonna read my dissertation :) ) reading it on screen.

I find it strange since I'm only using the pdftex version 1.10b. But I
just verified again that the landscape environment from lscape (I
checked the log file, pdflscape was not loaded.) did rotate the page on
screen.

I also tried to use pdflscape, but I'm not clear how it can be used
together with rotating. what I really want is a rotated *float*. I
hate to manually adjust the position of the rotated figures and tables.

Thanks,

Xiaotian

Xiaotian Sun

Oct 29, 2004, 12:57:07 PM10/29/04
Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> Xiaotian Sun <su...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> [My screen is a little small for your lines, please limit your line
> length.]

sorry about that. my mozilla somehow screwed it. the text appeared
wrapped when I typed it.

>>On a side note, the lscape package does rotate the page itself in pdflatex. But I do like my rotate figures and tables to float.
>

> You have tried package "pdflscape"?
> The "landscape" environment can be used without "figure" and "table".

I find it strange that for me, the lscape itself does the job of
rotating the page when viewed on screen. I don't even need pdflscape.

Now my question is how to combine the pdflscape and rotating to have a
rotated *float* that will rotate the page itself that the ratated float
is on, when viewed in acroread. see my other post.

thanks,

xiaotian

> Yours sincerely
> Heiko <ober...@uni-freiburg.de>

Robin Fairbairns

Oct 29, 2004, 3:58:27 PM10/29/04
Xiaotian Sun <su...@berkeley.edu> writes:

>Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> well, of course, none of these things are _really_ necessary --
>> sidewaystable is no more than a convenience. however, rotating in the
>> pdf viewer is what pdflscape will do for you, and that will most
>> definitely be available in the next version of rotating...
>
>right. this is not *really* necessary, since the final output I care
>most about is the print-out---it's my dissertation. and I do like to
>have the header and footer be there on the rotated pages. all this is
>just that I want to provide more convenience to somebody (if there's
>really somebody gonna read my dissertation :) ) reading it on screen.

no; i meant, you can simulate the behaviour of rotating.sty with
\afterpage and things. but you've already (quite reasonably imo) said
you don't want to do this.

>I find it strange since I'm only using the pdftex version 1.10b. But I
>just verified again that the landscape environment from lscape (I
>checked the log file, pdflscape was not loaded.) did rotate the page on
>screen.

hmm. let's not bother with that one for now... :-}

>I also tried to use pdflscape, but I'm not clear how it can be used
>together with rotating. what I really want is a rotated *float*. I
>hate to manually adjust the position of the rotated figures and tables.

i'm not yet sure how (if at all) i can get it to work; pdflscape
certainly doesn't work, at present, with rotating. i'll post again
if i come to a solution in reasonable short order.