dvi viewer for Linux?

Michael Barr

Apr 27, 2004, 8:49:09 PM4/27/04
The only ones I know of are xdvi and kdvi. The former lacks a print
button and the latter's page down function takes you from the bottom
of page n to the bottom of page n+1, which is idiotic. I guess I
could convert to ps and use ghostview, but is there a better viewer?

Rolf Niepraschk

Apr 28, 2004, 2:43:25 AM4/28/04

Here are some other viewers:

==> http://mdvi.sourceforge.net/
==> http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/
==> http://www.tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~lingnau/tkdvi/
==> http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~burnus/dviview/
==> http://typehack.aial.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/TeX-Guy/

...Rolf
--
|| Rolf Niepraschk c/o Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt ||
|| Abbestr. 2-12; D-10587 Berlin, Germany ||

Hans Fr. Nordhaug

Apr 28, 2004, 3:52:50 AM4/28/04
ba...@barrs.org (Michael Barr) writes:

Sounds like you use an old version of xdvi - fetch a new one from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdvi

Hans

--
The UK (La)TeX FAQ - http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
The Not So Short ... - http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf

Glad Deschrijver

Apr 28, 2004, 3:46:07 AM4/28/04

You can use the Space-button. You can also configure your shortcuts in
kdvi (in kdvi: Settings -> Configure shortcuts) and change the shortcut
for "Read Down Document" and "Read Up Document".

--
Best regards,
Glad Deschrijver.

Glad Deschrijver http://allserv.UGent.be/~gdschrij
Dept. of Applied Math. and Computer Science, Ghent University,
Krijgslaan 281 (S9), B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
tel. : +32 (0)9/264.47.66 fax. : +32 (0)9/264.49.95
Fuzziness and Uncertainty Modelling: http://fuzzy.UGent.be
Défendez-vous par la grandeur,
Alléguez la beauté la vertu, la jeunesse :
La Mort ravit tout sans pudeur.
-- Jean de La Fontaine

Robert Heller

Apr 28, 2004, 7:03:34 AM4/28/04
ba...@barrs.org (Michael Barr),
In a message on 27 Apr 2004 17:49:09 -0700, wrote :

MB> The only ones I know of are xdvi and kdvi. The former lacks a print
MB> button and the latter's page down function takes you from the bottom
MB> of page n to the bottom of page n+1, which is idiotic. I guess I
MB> could convert to ps and use ghostview, but is there a better viewer?

There is really little need or reason for a 'print button' for xdvi,
since Linux distros of tetex also include dvips and dvips has a print
option (actually it is the default).

dvips -Pprinter whatever.dvi

The dvi viewers are really intended as 'preview' tools.

\/
Robert Heller ||InterNet: hel...@cs.umass.edu
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || hel...@deepsoft.com
http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Peter Heslin

Apr 28, 2004, 8:39:14 AM4/28/04
ba...@barrs.org (Michael Barr) wrote in message news:<19daab49.04042...@posting.google.com>...

FWIW, the xdvik version of xdvi (xdvi.sourceforge.net), with the mofif
look, has a nice print button.

Peter

Paul Vojta

Apr 28, 2004, 4:26:33 PM4/28/04
In article <f1ff9348.04042...@posting.google.com>,

Peter Heslin <use...@heslin.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>ba...@barrs.org (Michael Barr) wrote in message news:<19daab49.04042...@posting.google.com>...
>> The only ones I know of are xdvi and kdvi. The former lacks a print
>> button ...

>FWIW, the xdvik version of xdvi (xdvi.sourceforge.net), with the mofif
>look, has a nice print button.

As does the current non-k version of xdvi.

http://math.berkeley.edu/~vojta/xdvi.html

Both versions also have a print popup when compiled without Motif.

--Paul Vojta, vo...@math.berkeley.edu