itemize changing the baselineskip of the preceding lines

Vincent Lefevre

Dec 21, 2009, 10:12:56 AM12/21/09
With the example below, the second "blah blah blah" paragraph
(actually, part of the itemize paragraph, I suppose) has its
baselineskip modified by the itemize, i.e. the space between
its lines is larger than the one for the other paragraphs.

Any reason why? Is this regarded as a bug? Otherwise, how can
one solve the problem (except by making a different paragraph,
which is not possible under some conditions)?

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

\begin{document}

{\Large
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
}

{\Large
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
}
{\Large
\begin{itemize}
\item foo
\end{itemize}
}
{\Large
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
}

{\Large
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
}

\end{document}

TIA for any information,

--
Vincent Lef�vre <vin...@vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / Ar�naire project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

Ulrike Fischer

Dec 21, 2009, 1:03:25 PM12/21/09
Am Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:12:56 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Vincent Lefevre:

> With the example below, the second "blah blah blah" paragraph
> (actually, part of the itemize paragraph, I suppose) has its
> baselineskip modified by the itemize, i.e. the space between
> its lines is larger than the one for the other paragraphs.
>
> Any reason why?

itemize inserts a \par. You would get the same effect if you used
{\Large
\par abc
}

What you are seeing is the normal baselineskip for \Large fontsize.
In all other paragraphs you don't get it because you are closing the
group around \Large before ending the paragraph.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

\begin{document}

{\Large
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

\par
}

{\Large
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
}

\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer

Dan

Dec 21, 2009, 4:37:32 PM12/21/09
On Dec 21, 12:03 pm, Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> wrote:
> Am Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:12:56 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
>
> > With the example below, the second "blah blah blah" paragraph
> > (actually, part of the itemize paragraph, I suppose) has its
> > baselineskip modified by the itemize, i.e. the space between
> > its lines is larger than the one for the other paragraphs.
>
> > Any reason why?
>
> itemize inserts a \par. You would get the same effect if you used
> {\Large
> \par abc
>
> }
>
> What you are seeing is the normal baselineskip for \Large fontsize.
> In all other paragraphs you don't get it because you are closing the
> group around \Large before ending the paragraph.

Actually, I get _smaller_ baselines for the second paragraph.
Perhaps there were linebreaks introduced by google or perhaps
the OP copy-pasted wrong, but every paragraph except the second
had a blank line before the end of the group. I also see a blank line
between the second paragraph and the itemize (though outside the
group) so the \par coming from from the itemive environment would
not cause large baselineskips.

> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
> \par
>
> }

A \par _or_ a blank line will suffice, one doesn't need both.
Again, perhaps google group inserted something.

Dan

Donald Arseneau

Dec 21, 2009, 6:28:45 PM12/21/09
On Dec 21, 1:37 pm, Dan <lueck...@uark.edu> wrote:
> A \par _or_ a blank line will suffice, one doesn't need both.
> Again, perhaps google group inserted something.

With google groups you can always click on Show Original.

Indeed there are no blank lines inside the braces. There are
blank lines after the first and third paragraphs (outside the
braces) to end the paragraphs with normalsize baselines.

Yes, the itemize ends the preceding paragraph when \Large
is in effect so you get the right baselines for once. The other
cases are mistakes.

Donald Arseneau

Vincent Lefevre

Dec 22, 2009, 9:17:25 PM12/22/09
In article <tze4ew2z...@nililand.de>,
Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de> wrote:

> itemize inserts a \par. You would get the same effect if you used
> {\Large
> \par abc
> }

That's strange, because on the example I was given, inserting
a blank line was yieding a compilation error (I don't have the
source, but this was because of a macro related to text coloring
that couldn't be done across paragraphs). And itemize was used
inside this macro, but there were no compilation errors with it.

Dan

Dec 23, 2009, 1:50:52 AM12/23/09
On Dec 21, 5:28 pm, Donald Arseneau <a...@triumf.ca> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 1:37 pm, Dan <lueck...@uark.edu> wrote:
>
> > A \par _or_ a blank line will suffice, one doesn't need both.
> > Again, perhaps google group inserted something.
>
> With google groups you can always click on Show Original.

You say that, but in fact the correct sequence is
1. click on "More options"
2. click on "Show original".

I avoid google groups when I can help it and I certainly would
have clicked on "Show original" in this case if it had been
visible.

Dan

Dan

Dec 23, 2009, 1:54:40 AM12/23/09

Does anyone know why in the world random blank lines would
get inserted around braces in google? I can't think of any good
reason for it, or even any bad one...

Dan

Ulrike Fischer

Dec 23, 2009, 3:10:25 AM12/23/09
Am Wed, 23 Dec 2009 02:17:25 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Vincent Lefevre:

>> itemize inserts a \par. You would get the same effect if you used
>> {\Large
>> \par abc
>> }

> That's strange, because on the example I was given, inserting
> a blank line was yieding a compilation error (I don't have the
> source, but this was because of a macro related to text coloring
> that couldn't be done across paragraphs). And itemize was used
> inside this macro, but there were no compilation errors with it.

The question is if the \par is "visible" when reading the argument:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
\newcommand\mypar{\par}

%\textbf{abc\par cde} % \par gives error

%\textbf{abc
%
%cde} %blank line gives error

\textbf{abc\mypar cde} %works

\end{document}

(But is is not good style to insert a \par in this way. Better use a
switch like \bfseries instead.)
--
Ulrike Fischer

Donald Arseneau

Dec 23, 2009, 3:51:12 AM12/23/09
On Dec 22, 10:54 pm, Dan <lueck...@uark.edu> wrote:
> Does anyone know why in the world random blank lines would
> get inserted around braces in google? I can't think of any good
> reason for it, or even any bad one...
I think the bad reason is it thinks "}" at the beginning of
a line is a quotation mark, like ">", and it inserts separation
(think \parskip) between the block quotes and new text.
There are no blank lines as I type this body, entered through
groups.google.com. Following are a bunch of lines beginning
with braces:
} test
} Braces
} at
} beginning
} of
} lines.
} Maybe
} google
} will
} hide
} them
} and
} display
} "show qoted text"
I'll see how this is treated.
--Donald

Donald Arseneau

Dec 23, 2009, 3:57:49 AM12/23/09
On Dec 23, 12:51 am, Donald Arseneau <a...@triumf.ca> wrote:
> On Dec 22, 10:54 pm, Dan <lueck...@uark.edu> wrote:> Does anyone know why in the world random blank lines would
> > get inserted around braces in google? I can't think of any good
> > reason for it, or even any bad one...
>
> I think the bad reason is it thinks "}" at the beginning of
> a line is a quotation mark, like ">", and it inserts separation
> (think \parskip) between the block quotes and new text.
> There are no blank lines as I type this body, entered through
> groups.google.com.  Following are a bunch of lines beginning
> with braces:
> } test
> } Braces
> } [...]

> } "show qoted text"
>
> I'll see how this is treated.

So I see Google inserted two blank lines: one after the
real qoted text (">") and one after the fake-quoted
lines ("}"), but NOT one before the first fake-quoted
line.