Beamer + pdflatex output looks crappy in Flash-based pdf viewers

Vesa Linja-aho

Jun 4, 2011, 3:01:15 PM6/4/11

I faced a weird problem when uploading slides made with Beamer to
Slideshare and Scribd. If I compile the slides with pdflatex, the
edges of all blocks (exampleblock, alertblock etc.) will look crappy -
see slide number 2 for example:

http://www.slideshare.net/linjaaho/latex-and-slidesharefinnishfinal-7275984

The problem can be "solved" by using latex+dvips+ps2pdf instead of
pdflatex, but that is a problem if I want to use jpg and png images in
my slides (latex+dvips+ps2pdf requires using eps images).

Before submitting a bug report to Beamer and/or Adobe, I'm asking if
anyone has faced or even solved this problem.

Friendly regards,

Vesa Linja-aho

Peter Flynn

Jun 5, 2011, 12:50:46 PM6/5/11
On 04/06/11 20:01, Vesa Linja-aho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I faced a weird problem when uploading slides made with Beamer to
> Slideshare and Scribd. If I compile the slides with pdflatex, the
> edges of all blocks (exampleblock, alertblock etc.) will look crappy -
> see slide number 2 for example:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/linjaaho/latex-and-slidesharefinnishfinal-7275984
>
> The problem can be "solved" by using latex+dvips+ps2pdf instead of
> pdflatex, but that is a problem if I want to use jpg and png images in
> my slides (latex+dvips+ps2pdf requires using eps images).

Just convert the images using ImageMagick or equivalent.

///Peter

Vesa Linja-aho

Jul 10, 2011, 2:54:57 PM7/10/11
On Jun 5, 7:50 pm, Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> wrote:
> On 04/06/11 20:01, VesaLinja-ahowrote:

> > Hi,
>
> > I faced a weird problem when uploading slides made with Beamer to
> > Slideshare and Scribd. If I compile the slides with pdflatex, the
> > edges of all blocks (exampleblock, alertblock etc.) will look crappy -
> > see slide number 2 for example:
>
> >http://www.slideshare.net/linjaaho/latex-and-slidesharefinnishfinal-7...

> > The problem can be "solved" by using latex+dvips+ps2pdf instead of
> > pdflatex, but that is a problem if I want to use jpg and png images in
> > my slides (latex+dvips+ps2pdf requires using eps images).
>
> Just convert the images using ImageMagick or equivalent.
>
> ///Peter

Thank you for your advice. I accidentally found one way more (didn't
know that pdftex can output dvi):

pdflatex --output-format dvi filename.tex
dvips filename.dvi
ps2pdf filename.dvi

This way you can get rid of those crappy dots AND use jpg&pnd without
converting them to eps.

Vesa Linja-aho

GL

Jul 10, 2011, 3:12:35 PM7/10/11
Le 10/07/2011 20:54, Vesa Linja-aho a �crit :

> On Jun 5, 7:50 pm, Peter Flynn<pe...@silmaril.ie> wrote:
>> On 04/06/11 20:01, VesaLinja-ahowrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>>> I faced a weird problem when uploading slides made with Beamer to
>>> Slideshare and Scribd. If I compile the slides with pdflatex, the
>>> edges of all blocks (exampleblock, alertblock etc.) will look crappy -
>>> see slide number 2 for example:
>>
>>> http://www.slideshare.net/linjaaho/latex-and-slidesharefinnishfinal-7...
>>
>>> The problem can be "solved" by using latex+dvips+ps2pdf instead of
>>> pdflatex, but that is a problem if I want to use jpg and png images in
>>> my slides (latex+dvips+ps2pdf requires using eps images).
>>
>> Just convert the images using ImageMagick or equivalent.
>>
>> ///Peter
>
> Thank you for your advice. I accidentally found one way more (didn't
> know that pdftex can output dvi):
>
> pdflatex --output-format dvi filename.tex
> dvips filename.dvi
> ps2pdf filename.dvi

Yes, or simply say \pdfoutput = 0 at the very beginning of your .tex
source...

Enrico Gregorio

Jul 10, 2011, 3:15:54 PM7/10/11
Vesa Linja-aho <linj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, but pdflatex in dvi mode /cannot/ include JPEG or PNG
files. You probably compiled your test where an EPS version of
the files was hanging around.

Ciao
Enrico

Vesa Linja-aho

Jul 10, 2011, 3:52:13 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 10:15 pm, Enrico Gregorio <Facile.da.trov...@in.rete.it>
wrote:

> Sorry, but pdflatex in dvi mode /cannot/ include JPEG or PNG
> files. You probably compiled your test where an EPS version of
> the files was hanging around.

"LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in animated.png (no
BoundingBox)."

You are right and I was wrong.

Vesa

Vesa Linja-aho

Jul 13, 2011, 6:23:20 PM7/13/11
On Jun 4, 10:01 pm, Vesa Linja-aho <linja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I faced a weird problem when uploading slides made with Beamer to
> Slideshare and Scribd. If I compile the slides with pdflatex, the
> edges of all blocks (exampleblock, alertblock etc.) will look crappy -
> see slide number 2 for example:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/linjaaho/latex-and-slidesharefinnishfinal-7275984

Update to this issue: the bug is *not* in Beamer, it was in the Flash-
based renderers. Scribd has already corrected the bug, Slideshare will
correct it to the next release, see:
http://www.slideshare.net/linjaaho/beamerbug-8578652

Case closed, at least I hope so,

Vesa