Help converting siamltex/amslatex to kluwer.sty?

Paul C. Leopardi

Nov 1, 2006, 4:33:33 PM11/1/06
Is this the right place to ask questions about converting a paper from
siamltex and AMS Latex to kluwer.sty ? I have about 2 weeks to my
submission deadline and don't want to rewrite the whole thing from scratch.

My (half-converted) document begins...
\documentclass{kluwer}
\setcounter{page}{1}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{accents}
\usepackage{qsymbols}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\mathsurround 1.5pt
\newproof{remark}{Remark}
\newtheorem{conjecture}{Conjecture}
\newenvironment{proofof}[1]{~\newline\noindent\emph{Proof of #1.}}{$\Box$}
\newenvironment{quiet-proof}{}{$\Box$}

and I get the messages...
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/kluwer.cls
Document Class: kluwer 1998/02/11 1.1 Kluwer base document class
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klumac.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/amsfonts.sty))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/wasysym/wasysym.sty))
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klu11.clo)
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klulist.sty)
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/kluopen.sty)
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/kluedit.sty)
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klufloa.sty
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klutab.sty))
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klunote.sty)
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/kluref.sty
KAP -- Named references
) (/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klumath.sty)
(/home/leopardi/TeX/kluwer/klusec.sty
)) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty
For additional information on amsmath, use the `?' option.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amstext.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsgen.sty))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsbsy.sty)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsopn.sty)

! LaTeX Error: Command \iint already defined.
Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

The Kluwer user manual says...
12.3. ERROR MESSAGES Command . . . already defined
You can usually ignore messages about commands already being defined.

which is of no use whatever, since the error stops latex in its tracks.

So, how do I successfully use amsmath.sty with kluwer.cls? Any clues? Who to
ask?

Thanks!
--
To reply by email remove _

Donald Arseneau

Nov 1, 2006, 5:19:03 PM11/1/06
"Paul C. Leopardi" <paul.leopardi_@_iinet.net.au> writes:

> ! LaTeX Error: Command \iint already defined.
> Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
>
> The Kluwer user manual says...
> 12.3. ERROR MESSAGES Command . . . already defined
> You can usually ignore messages about commands already being defined.
>
> which is of no use whatever, since the error stops latex in its tracks.

That is wrong. LaTeX should only be paused in its tracks. You
can hit entrt and it will continue.

> So, how do I successfully use amsmath.sty with kluwer.cls? Any clues? Who to

\let\iint\undefined
\usepackage{amsmath}

File a "latexbug" report requesting that amsmath "provide" \iint only
when not already defined.

--
Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

Olive

Nov 1, 2006, 5:11:25 PM11/1/06
> ! LaTeX Error: Command \iint already defined.ype latex --he

> Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
>
> The Kluwer user manual says...
> 12.3. ERROR MESSAGES Command . . . already defined
> You can usually ignore messages about commands already being defined.

> which is of no use whatever, since the error stops latex in its tracks.
>
> So, how do I successfully use amsmath.sty with kluwer.cls? Any clues? Who to
> ask?
>
> Thanks!

You can tell latex to ignore an error by just pressing return; it will
do its best (this is the default behaviour if you launch latex without
options from a terminal, you can tell LaTeX to continue without
prompting, to exit on the first error, etc... by setting command line
switches; type latex --help in a terminal to know the available options).

But this is a dirty trick, it is better to correct your document.

Apparently kluwer.cls define a command (\iint) that the ams package
redefine later. You can undefine this command before loading the amsmath
package with this code

\let\iint\noexists

(where \noexists is a command that does not exists); review you document
and watch for error in case if it give problems (the documentclass
kluwer.sty might need it); in the latter case you will have to correct
kluwer.sty to use another command instead.

Olive

Paul C. Leopardi

Nov 1, 2006, 5:40:41 PM11/1/06
Olive wrote:

> \let\iint\noexists
Yes, that worked. Thanks.

Paul C. Leopardi

Nov 1, 2006, 5:41:36 PM11/1/06
Donald Arseneau wrote:

> "Paul C. Leopardi" <paul.leopardi_@_iinet.net.au> writes:
>> which is of no use whatever, since the error stops latex in its tracks.
>
> That is wrong. LaTeX should only be paused in its tracks. You
> can hit entrt and it will continue.

Yes, you are right.

>> So, how do I successfully use amsmath.sty with kluwer.cls? Any clues? Who
>
> \let\iint\undefined
> \usepackage{amsmath}

This works. Thanks.