Problem with eps figures borders with dvips 5.94b (from MiKTeX 2.4)

Fabrice Baro

Apr 26, 2007, 1:59:53 PM4/26/07
I'm having a problem with an eps figure with dvips. Everything looks
fine in the dvi version (generated by texify). In the ps generated by
dvips, there seem to be an extra whitespace at the top of the figure
that hides the text over it (see http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psbj9.png).
However, the boundingbox was set correctly (with the "PS to EPS"
feature in GSview), as shown by the framebox in the dvi (see
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dviak6.png). This framebox
doesn't show in the ps.
When viewing the ps with GSview, I noticed that the whole paragraph
and the framebox are shown very briefly before disappearing behind the
whitespace. Also, when I "open" the ps with Acrobat, it is converted
to pdf, but the result is the same, i.e. the text is hidden by the
extra whitespace.

Concerning the dvips command, I've tried with and without -Ppdf, -K, -
z options, no differences.
Here's my LaTeX code:

\subsection{Catégories e-value}
La version 2.5 de notre programme \texttt{brh} détermine la e-value
pour chaque famille de gènes. De tous les \emph{best reciprocal hits}
de la famille, celui dont la e-value est la plus élevée définit la e-
value pour la famille au complet (voir figure \ref{e-value}). Cela
nous permet de classer les familles en fonction de leur e-value. Nous
définissons les seuils afin d'avoir environ le même nombre de familles
dans chaque catégorie. Nous étudions la congruence, l'incongruence et
la non-résolution pour chaque catégorie.

\begin{figure}[htbp]\centering\framebox{\includegraphics{figures/mm/
seuils_e-value.eps}}\caption[Détermination de la e-value pour une
famille d'HNP]{Détermination de la e-value d'une famille d'homologues
non-paralogues: l'arête (représentant un \emph{best reciprocal hit})
avec la e-value la plus élevée (ici 1e-37) est choisie.}\label{e-value}
\end{figure}

Lars Madsen

Apr 26, 2007, 2:39:13 PM4/26/07
Fabrice Baro wrote:
> I'm having a problem with an eps figure with dvips. Everything looks
> fine in the dvi version (generated by texify). In the ps generated by
> dvips, there seem to be an extra whitespace at the top of the figure
> that hides the text over it (see http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psbj9.png).
> However, the boundingbox was set correctly (with the "PS to EPS"
> feature in GSview), as shown by the framebox in the dvi (see
> http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dviak6.png). This framebox
> doesn't show in the ps.
> When viewing the ps with GSview, I noticed that the whole paragraph
> and the framebox are shown very briefly before disappearing behind the
> whitespace. Also, when I "open" the ps with Acrobat, it is converted
> to pdf, but the result is the same, i.e. the text is hidden by the
> extra whitespace.

have you tried

\includegraphics[...,clip]{...}

/daleif

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Fabrice Baro

Apr 26, 2007, 6:06:08 PM4/26/07
On Apr 26, 2:39 pm, Lars Madsen <dal...@imf.au.dk> wrote:
> have you tried \includegraphics[...,clip]{...}

Yes, no change. Actually dvips seems to add more whitespace.
My eps is small and doesn't (shouldn't) need a trim/viewport. dvips
seems to *add* extra whitespace.

Message has been deleted

David Schumacher

Apr 27, 2007, 5:02:20 AM4/27/07
Hi Fabrice,

Fabrice Baro <fabric...@gmail.com> writes:
> However, the boundingbox was set correctly (with the "PS to EPS"
> feature in GSview), as shown by the framebox in the dvi (see
> http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dviak6.png). This framebox
> doesn't show in the ps.

Did you control the bounding box with gsview? Are they ok?
(in the menu: options -> show bounding box)

> When viewing the ps with GSview, I noticed that the whole paragraph
> and the framebox are shown very briefly before disappearing behind the
> whitespace.

I noticed similar thing only, when the eps files were in fact ps files
enhanced with the boundingbox (there are certain commands that should
not be in eps files)
There is an option in GSview to check this (options -> EPS warn), this
will show you under "Show messages" if there are any problems.

By the way, how did you create the graphic file?

David

--
Ignoramus, ignorabimus (Emil du Bois-Reymond)

Lars Madsen

Apr 27, 2007, 9:02:36 AM4/27/07

can you post the eps somewhere?

alternatively you can send it to me via private email

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl

Fabrice Baro

Apr 27, 2007, 10:58:54 PM4/27/07
> Did you control the bounding box with gsview? Are they ok?
> (in the menu: options -> show bounding box)
Yes the bounding box is just fine.

> There is an option in GSview to check this (options -> EPS warn), this
> will show you under "Show messages" if there are any problems.

*Sorry* I hadn't read well enough your comment. I was assuming the
warnings would automatically show up. But the file must be closed
('C') before showing the messages ('M'). I do get the following:

Warning: EPS file must not use /initclip (many times)
Warning: EPS file must not use /serverdict (twice)

Again, I'm using a PS printer to print from Powerpoint.
I'm actually using the method 3 of this page: http://www.cs.bu.edu/fac/reyzin/pictips.html

Using method 1 (distill to pdf, crop, save as eps in Acrobat v 7), the
messages are the following:
Warning: EPS file must not use /setglobal
Warning: EPS file should be careful using /sethalftone
Warning: EPS file should be careful using /setcolortransfer
Warning: EPS file should be careful using /settransfer
Can't find (or can't open) font file C:\Program Files\Ghostscript
\gs8.53\Resource/Font/TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT.
Can't find (or can't open) font file TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT.
Querying operating system for font files...
Didn't find this font on the system!
Substituting font Times-Bold for TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT.
\fonts/n021004l.pfb... 2295328 979339 2200264 861450 2 done.
Warning: EPS file should be careful using /sethalftone
Warning: EPS file should be careful using /setcolortransfer
Warning: EPS file should be careful using /settransfer
Warning: EPS file must not use /serverdict
Warning: EPS file must not use /serverdict

Anyway, the method 3 works fine with texify. My only problem is
converting the dvi to a more usable format, for example pdf. So I
distill the dvi, run an OCR. It does the job well, but it's time
consuming and I've had some glitches (for example an upside down
page !).
Any better solution ? I've tried using pdflatex (again, from MiKTeX),
but it won't work at all (halting on supposedly undefined control
sequences such as \chapter which work just fine with texify... but
this is an other issue -> other post I guess).

PS. Why do the posts take *hours* to show up ???

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 28, 2007, 4:59:39 AM4/28/07
Fabrice Baro <fabric...@gmail.com> writes:
>PS. Why do the posts take *hours* to show up ???

because google is running slow just now. the usenet network as a
whole is as fast as it's been for years, but google is reminiscent
just now of usenet in the 80s.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

David Schumacher

Apr 28, 2007, 8:00:10 AM4/28/07
Hi Fabrice,

creating eps files can sometimes be awfull.

Fabrice Baro <fabric...@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm actually using the method 3 of this page: http://www.cs.bu.edu/fac/reyzin/pictips.html

the description seems ok (i.e, I would have also asked for these things ;) )

> Using method 1 (distill to pdf, crop, save as eps in Acrobat v 7)

[...]

> My only problem is
> converting the dvi to a more usable format, for example pdf.

> Any better solution ? I've tried using pdflatex (again, from MiKTeX),

> but it won't work at all (halting on supposedly undefined control
> sequences such as \chapter which work just fine with texify... but
> this is an other issue -> other post I guess).

Ok, I did not get it the first time, that you do only want some usual format.
With adobe destiller you can create pdf files and you can crop them. This
is half the way. So just stick with the pdf graphics files.

The tex file should also run with pdflatex. Try to delete the aux files
(perhaps also the toc file). In your tex file there should not be any
parameter "dvips" (most often next to hyperref, graphicx).

Randy Yates

Apr 28, 2007, 10:31:47 AM4/28/07
rf...@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) writes:

> Fabrice Baro <fabric...@gmail.com> writes:
>>PS. Why do the posts take *hours* to show up ???
>
> because google is running slow just now. the usenet network as a
> whole is as fast as it's been for years, but google is reminiscent
> just now of usenet in the 80s.

I've had *EXCELLENT* usenet news service from supernews:

http://www.supernews.com.

The service has been extremely reliable, stable, and fast, and the
technical support is superb. It is definitely worth the $4/month for
me.
--
% Randy Yates % "So now it's getting late,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and those who hesitate