Why does letter class uses so much space at top?

Merciadri Luca

Sep 13, 2010, 3:46:41 AM9/13/10

Robin Fairbairns

Sep 13, 2010, 5:34:23 AM9/13/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> I sometimes use the letter class to write letters, but I find myself
> disappointed when I realize that there are just some lines of text on
> the second page, and a big space at the top of the first one. I tried
> playing with \vspace, but to no avail. Any idea? Is there a better
> class for writing letters?

both questions are answered in
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=letterclass

the space at the top of the first page is covered in the first para!

(after all, why _would_ you bother looking at the faq when you've a
straightforward problem? is there not an italian faq?)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Merciadri Luca

Sep 13, 2010, 7:07:58 AM9/13/10

Robin Fairbairns

Sep 13, 2010, 7:40:29 AM9/13/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Robin Fairbairns <rf...@sxp10.cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>>
>>> I sometimes use the letter class to write letters, but I find myself
>>> disappointed when I realize that there are just some lines of text on
>>> the second page, and a big space at the top of the first one. I tried
>>> playing with \vspace, but to no avail. Any idea? Is there a better
>>> class for writing letters?
>>
>> both questions are answered in
>> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=letterclass
>>
>> the space at the top of the first page is covered in the first para!
>>
>> (after all, why _would_ you bother looking at the faq when you've a
>> straightforward problem? is there not an italian faq?)
>
> Why being so provocative? I know you dedicate much time to your FAQ,
> and I appreciate this FAQ. The fact is that I was not redirected to
> your FAQ when trying related keywords on Google. As a result, I asked
> here. You gave me a pointer to it, and I appreciated it, as, as
> habitually, it answered a hundred percents to my question.

i have repeatedly failed to sort out google searching of the faq.

i have repeatedly asked here (and elsewhere) for help with the problem,
and had no response whatever.

so, as far as i'm concerned, google is a dead loss, as far as locating
articles in the faq. what's more, as often as not, google provides duff
advice about tex issues.

so (as i've said in the past): as far as i'm concerned google is no use
for tex issues. perhaps you might get some help in one of those "web
forum" things. i don't understand those, either (and have no intention
of learning), but perhaps they provide a means of looking things up.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Robert Heller

Sep 13, 2010, 7:57:31 AM9/13/10
At Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:07:58 +0200 Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

hel...@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

CapnKirk

Sep 13, 2010, 8:01:09 AM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 7:40 am, Robin Fairbairns <r...@sxp10.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> i have repeatedly failed to sort out google searching of the faq.
>
> i have repeatedly asked here (and elsewhere) for help with the problem,
> and had no response whatever.

The search string "TeX FAQ letter class" produced the wanted link in
the 4th hit from the top of the first page. If you prefix your
keywords by "TeX FAQ" one should usually find any info in the FAQ on
the wanted topic.

HTH.

Kirk

Joris

Sep 13, 2010, 8:46:53 AM9/13/10
I just downloaded the pdf and search that. Shouldn't work better, but
it does for me.

Philipp.Stephani

Sep 13, 2010, 9:00:54 AM9/13/10
CapnKirk <empirical...@gmail.com> writes:

But if you already know that you want to search the FAQ then you can go
there directly. I think Robin wants Google to put FAQ answers on the
top spot even if the query doesn't start with "TeX FAQ."

--
Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.

Joris

Sep 13, 2010, 9:04:22 AM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 9:00 am, LookIn...@arcor.de (Philipp.Stephani) wrote:

Google wants money for that.

CapnKirk

Sep 13, 2010, 9:14:52 AM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 9:00 am, LookIn...@arcor.de (Philipp.Stephani) wrote:

I'm not sure the OP knew to search the TeX FAQ specifically. In any
event, that is the moral to this tale: if you have any TeX question,
search the FAQ first, by whatever means. Even better, *read* the FAQ
every once in a while! ;-)

Kirk

Robin Fairbairns

Sep 13, 2010, 9:58:53 AM9/13/10
Look...@arcor.de (Philipp.Stephani) writes:

> CapnKirk <empirical...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sep 13, 7:40 am, Robin Fairbairns <r...@sxp10.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> i have repeatedly failed to sort out google searching of the faq.
>>>
>>> i have repeatedly asked here (and elsewhere) for help with the problem,
>>> and had no response whatever.
>>
>> The search string "TeX FAQ letter class" produced the wanted link in
>> the 4th hit from the top of the first page. If you prefix your
>> keywords by "TeX FAQ" one should usually find any info in the FAQ on
>> the wanted topic.
>
> But if you already know that you want to search the FAQ then you can go
> there directly.

except that the faq's searching function is amazingly feeble.

> I think Robin wants Google to put FAQ answers on the
> top spot even if the query doesn't start with "TeX FAQ."

that would be nice, except (a) it probably costs mega-\euro, and (b) i'm
not so vain as to imagine that i'm the only source of valid information
(i believe the forums have answer-quality measures that searches could
in principle take into account).

fundamentally, what the faq needs is a maintainer who's not old, ill,
and lacking in energy. in an ideal world, the faq would be an on-line
only resource. (i keep it printable, despite the effort involved,
because i find reading from a screen difficult, and everything i type
has to be proof-read.)
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Robin Fairbairns

Sep 13, 2010, 10:03:27 AM9/13/10
Robert Heller <hel...@deepsoft.com> writes:

> Yes indeed. The TeX FAQ both interally and via Google generally gives
> poor search results. Either way too many irrelavant answers or misses
> many. One *almost* has to know the answer before asking the question.
> It can be pretty close to useless sometimes.

as i've already said in a different branch of this thread.

don't imagine that i haven't _tried_ to improve the thing; i've just
failed every time...
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

maus

Sep 13, 2010, 4:52:56 PM9/13/10

I can get letter to fill the page with a proper geometry, newlfm is
nicer than letter, but won't use envlab.. any ideas?.

That is printing an envelope, rather than a option for a clear window
in the envelope?

--
greymaus
.

Peter Flynn

Sep 13, 2010, 5:12:11 PM9/13/10
On 13/09/10 12:40, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> i have repeatedly failed to sort out google searching of the faq.
>
> i have repeatedly asked here (and elsewhere) for help with the problem,
> and had no response whatever.

For some inexplicable reason I never saw those requests.

At first sight the simple answer is that the FAQ is not static HTML: it
comes from a CGI script. AFAIK, Google regards scripts as producers of
mutable content, which is often not relevantly indexable. A lot of the
time they're right, but not in this case.

If we can find a way to switch to a system that periodically publishes
the answers to separate static HTML pages, they will stand a hugely
greater change of being indexed. One page per answer is usually much
more indexable than a script which returns URIs with a fragment
identifier (#) which means that one base URI has the answers to far too
many questions for any indexing of a single one of them to be meaningful.

This implies some kind of content management system, of which there are
plenty to choose from. That in turn would also mean a team of
maintainers could help you keep it updated, if that is an acceptable
return for the pain of having to learn a new system :-)

Can you get access to the httpd logs of www.tex.ac.uk/faq? Or run one of
the log analysis packages and see if Google is even attempting to
retrieve pages from the FAQ.

> so, as far as i'm concerned, google is a dead loss, as far as locating
> articles in the faq. what's more, as often as not, google provides duff
> advice about tex issues.

Unfortunately there is a lot of crap out there elsewhere. Google is not
good at distinguishing crap.

> so (as i've said in the past): as far as i'm concerned google is no use
> for tex issues.

I too have repeated this many times.

> perhaps you might get some help in one of those "web
> forum" things. i don't understand those, either (and have no intention
> of learning), but perhaps they provide a means of looking things up.

Nope.

The other side of the coin is that even if Google indexes the FAQ, it
won't rise in the ranking of how it is presented unless other people
provide links TO to FAQ. And they would be more encouraged to do so if
they could link to static pages rather than a script.

(I should mention that it is of course eminently possible to re-present
the URI without the world being aware that it is being generated from a
script. It only needs to *look* like static HTML to Google :-)

Right now I can't help: I have a thesis to finish. Next year, for sure.

There is an entirely different problem that some of the answers bend
over a little too backward to present all sides of the problem, and
explain in detail why you might want to do one this or might want to do
another, when the user wants a single declarative statement like "use
the foo package and the \bar command". But that's just a matter of editing.

///Peter

Peter Flynn

Sep 13, 2010, 5:13:32 PM9/13/10

Not always. Google wants per-URI relevance. You don't get that when each
answer is just a subsection of a much longer page.

///Peter