Problem with Bibtex under MikTex, WinEdt

Claus Wisser

Jan 29, 2001, 4:00:01 PM1/29/01
Hello everyone,

I have a problem using BibTex and would be grateful if someone could help
me.

I use Miktex with WinEdt. Not to end up with different versions of my
bib-files I keep all my *.bib files in the directory c:\BibTex\. The problem
is that when compiling a text under WinEdt Latex can't the *.bib files.

As recommended I created a local miktex.ini file
(c:\locatexmf\miktex\config\miktex.ini) which contains the following lines:
[BibTeX]
Input Dirs=.;c:\BibTeX//;%R\bibtex//

In the Dos Window I then executed:
initexmf --personal=c:\localtexmf\miktex\config\miktex.ini

Now when compiling a text under WinEdt Latex still cannot find the *.bib
files. Can someone please help me?

Thanks a lot,
Claus

Frank Crawford

Jan 30, 2001, 6:41:18 AM1/30/01
"Claus Wisser" <Claus....@brasenose.oxford.ac.uk> wrote in
<954lnu$gb7$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>:

well, a simple solution is to write:

\bibliography{c:/bibtex/yourbib.bib}

(this works for me (MiKTeX 2, winEdt 1.414, win NT 4))

I suppose you could also add c:/bibtex/ to your PATH. (would that work?)

Claus Wisser

Jan 30, 2001, 4:17:27 PM1/30/01
Hi Frank,

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
I have tried it and it doesn't work. After including c:\BinTeX in the path
LaTeX still can't find the bib-file. And writing
\bibliography{c:/bibtex/mybib.bib} results in a LaTeX error message.

Anyone any idea what else I could do?

Thanks,
Claus

Frank Crawford <fta...@soton.ac.uk> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
Xns903976F8F532Ffr...@152.78.129.44...

Frank Crawford

Jan 31, 2001, 4:46:02 AM1/31/01
> Thank you very much for the suggestions.
> I have tried it and it doesn't work. After including c:\BinTeX in the
path
> LaTeX still can't find the bib-file. And writing
> \bibliography{c:/bibtex/mybib.bib} results in a LaTeX error message.

well, maybe if you try

\bibliographystyle{c:/BinTeX/mybib}

- no need for the .bib, \bibliographystyle{} knows to append the filename
with a .bib

- my mistake, I misread your original post: "c:\BinTeX" I thought it was
biBtex. sorry!

I hope this works.

Frank T.A. Crawford

email : frank.c...@soton.ac.uk
web : http://www.soton.ac.uk/~ftac/
Phone : +44 23 8059 5000 ext 24876
Fax : +44 23 8059 3058
Mobile: +44 78 7949 4970

Astronautics Research Group
School of Engineering Sciences
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ
Hampshire, England, UK

Andrew Schulman

Jan 31, 2001, 8:46:48 AM1/31/01

No, PATH is only used by WinDOS to find executables.

It's unsatisfactory to specify the entire pathname in \bibliography.
Besides being ugly and possibly causing error messages, it makes the
source file non-portable. MikTeX should be able to find the .bib files
by looking in a well-defined search path for them. Also, the LaTeX
documentation recommends against specifying extra path components within
\include's, \input's, and \bibliography's, because TeX has a limited
amount of storage for filenames. In a large document you could
conceivably use up all of that space.

Claus' original solution, to set up a personal configuration file, is
the right one. If I'm not mistaken, all that should be left now is to
refresh the file name database: in the MikTeX options wizard, or from
the command line as

initexmf --update-fndb

See if that solves the problem.

Good luck,
Andrew.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Michael Dewey

Jan 31, 2001, 9:49:03 AM1/31/01
> I use Miktex with WinEdt. Not to end up with different versions of my
> bib-files I keep all my *.bib files in the directory c:\BibTex\. The

[Much more snipped]

Why not put them in your localtexmf tree? (I assume you took the default
to have one when you built the system?) Somewhere like
c:\localtexmf\bibtex\bib\
seems a good place rather than having a third tree
Then you can put new .bst files in
c:\localtexmf\bibtex\bst\ as well

--
Michael Dewey
Trent Institute for Health Services Research

mailto:Michae...@nottingham.ac.uk
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~mhzmd/home.html