Installing package?

al_tren...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
I am a newbie to LaTeX and I would like to know how to install new
packages. When I install packages in texmf/tex/latex/base/ or so, the
\usepackage{} command can't find them...?
I run TeX/LaTeX on a Linux with the mandrake packages.

Thanks for your help.

--Yannick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Oliver Corff

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
al_tren...@my-deja.com wrote:
: I am a newbie to LaTeX and I would like to know how to install new

: packages. When I install packages in texmf/tex/latex/base/ or so, the
: \usepackage{} command can't find them...?
: I run TeX/LaTeX on a Linux with the mandrake packages.

: Thanks for your help.

: --Yannick

Dear Yannick,

Please have a look at the package you are going to install. If it's
only the style file, then it should go into $TEXMF/tex/latex/thisnewgoody/
or ideally into your local TeX directory tree. Metafont input, tfm
files and documentation all have their standard directories. This
done, become root and say

texconfig rehash

which rebuilds the file search database.

If it is still not going run

texconfig faq

at least for tetex, this works.

Good luck!

Oliver.

--
Dr. Oliver Corff e-mail: corff at zedat dot fu-berlin dot de

David Haller

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Hello!

al_tren...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I am a newbie to LaTeX and I would like to know how to install new
> packages. When I install packages in texmf/tex/latex/base/ or so, the
> \usepackage{} command can't find them...?
> I run TeX/LaTeX on a Linux with the mandrake packages.

Suspecting you run MiKTeX on NT 4, you have to "Refresh the FNDB". In newer
MiKTeX's there's an Startmenu-entry for this (under MiKTeX - Maintenance)
else you can use "initexmf -u" on the command-line...

For Details look in the Dokuments that came with your TeX-Distri.

CU
David

--
email: Da...@dhaller.de
www: www.dhaller.de

Who can possibly rule, if no one who wants to do it, can be allowed to?

Daniel Luecking

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
David Haller <Da...@dhaller.de> writes:

>Hello!

>al_tren...@my-deja.com wrote:
>> I run TeX/LaTeX on a Linux with the mandrake packages.

>Suspecting you run MiKTeX on NT 4, you have to "Refresh the FNDB". In newer

Funny, I would have suspected he runs TeX on Linux.
:-)

But the answer is genericly correct. Update whatever passes for the
FNDB(=FileName DataBase). Might be named ls-lR, and the command to
update it varies between systems. I have no idea what "mandrake" is.

--
Dan Luecking Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
luec...@comp.uark.edu University of Arkansas

al_tren...@my-deja.com

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
In article <7tihui$7...@picayune.uark.edu>,

luec...@comp.uark.edu (Daniel Luecking) wrote:
> David Haller <Da...@dhaller.de> writes:
>
> >Hello!
>
> >al_tren...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >> I run TeX/LaTeX on a Linux with the mandrake packages.
>
> >Suspecting you run MiKTeX on NT 4, you have to "Refresh the FNDB". In
newer

> Funny, I would have suspected he runs TeX on Linux.
> :-)
>
> But the answer is genericly correct. Update whatever passes for the
> FNDB(=FileName DataBase). Might be named ls-lR, and the command to
> update it varies between systems. I have no idea what "mandrake" is.

Yes, you're right I use Latex on Linux(surprise?). Without loosing the
idea that this is a forum for Latex, Mandrake is a Linux distribution
based on Red-hat with many optimization for pentium processors and with
KDE as the default wm.
And by the way, Mr Corf's answer was just fine.

David Haller

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
Hello!

Daniel Luecking <luec...@comp.uark.edu> wrote:
> David Haller <Da...@dhaller.de> writes:
>>al_tren...@my-deja.com wrote:
>>> I run TeX/LaTeX on a Linux with the mandrake packages.

>>Suspecting you run MiKTeX on NT 4, you have to "Refresh the FNDB". In newer

> Funny, I would have suspected he runs TeX on Linux.
> :-)

;) I was looking at his posting-agent header and completely overseeing the
line :)

> But the answer is genericly correct. Update whatever passes for the
> FNDB(=FileName DataBase). Might be named ls-lR, and the command to
> update it varies between systems. I have no idea what "mandrake" is.

I think Mandrake is a "RedHat spin-off-Distribution"...

Anyway: I use "texhash" (on SuSE) and then there's the command in "texconfig"