Actuarial & Annuity notation in LaTeX

Jeffrey C. Liter

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
I am looking for a way to typeset annuity notation in LaTeX. It should
look like the following:

A __
x:n|

where the expression x:n is a subscript to the A. The bar over the
expression x:n should connect to the vertical line following the n,
forming a right angle. The length of the angle should change with the
length of the expression it encloses, as would a square root symbol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Donald Arseneau

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
In article <36D47B9C...@earthlink.net>, "Jeffrey C. Liter" <jli...@earthlink.net> writes...
>A ___
> x:n|

\DeclareRobustCommand{\annu}[1]{_{%
\def\arraystretch{0}%
\setlength\arraycolsep{1pt}% adjust these
\setlength\arrayrulewidth{.2pt}% two settings
\begin{array}[b]{@{}c|}\hline
\\[\arraycolsep]%
\scriptstyle #1%
\end{array}%
}}

$A\annu{x:n}$

Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

Donald Arseneau

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
In article <36d4e...@clarion.carno.net.au>, "Edward Russell" <edward....@anu.edu.au> writes...
>Any chance of an answer for plain TeX?

>>>A ___
>>> x:n|
>>

>>\DeclareRobustCommand{\annu}[1]{_{%
>> \def\arraystretch{0}%
>> \setlength\arraycolsep{1pt}% adjust these
>> \setlength\arrayrulewidth{.2pt}% two settings
>> \begin{array}[b]{@{}c|}\hline
>> \\[\arraycolsep]%
>> \scriptstyle #1%
>> \end{array}%
>>}}

The array stuff isn't really necessary, but it is just the "obvious"
way to add rules to things.

\def\annu#1{_{%
\vbox{\hrule height .2pt
\kern 1pt
\hbox{$\scriptstyle {#1}\kern 1pt$}%
}\kern-.05pt
\vrule width .2pt
}}

Tweak ".2pt" and "1pt" for appearance.

Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

Edward Russell

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Any chance of an answer for plain TeX?

Original post:

A __
x:n|

Answer for LaTeX

Donald Arseneau wrote in message <24FEB199...@reg.triumf.ca>...

>In article <36D47B9C...@earthlink.net>, "Jeffrey C. Liter"
<jli...@earthlink.net> writes...

>>A ___
>> x:n|
>

>\DeclareRobustCommand{\annu}[1]{_{%
> \def\arraystretch{0}%
> \setlength\arraycolsep{1pt}% adjust these
> \setlength\arrayrulewidth{.2pt}% two settings
> \begin{array}[b]{@{}c|}\hline
> \\[\arraycolsep]%
> \scriptstyle #1%
> \end{array}%