adding a subject to letter

Faheem Mitha

Apr 6, 2010, 8:13:36 AM4/6/10

I'd like to add a subject to a letter. Is there any way of modifying
the standard letter class to do this, without too much pain?
Alternatively, can someone suggest a custom latex letter class which
would be present in most LaTeX distributions? I'll be giving my LaTeX
file to other people to compile. I did a quick look in my texlive
installation (Debian Linux - lenny) and see akletter and scrlttr2 from
koma-script. Would either of these be good bets?

Please cc me on any reply. Thanks.
Regards, Faheem.

Faheem Mitha

Apr 6, 2010, 8:54:06 AM4/6/10
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:13:36 +0000 (UTC), Faheem Mitha
<fah...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add a subject to a letter. Is there any way of modifying
> the standard letter class to do this, without too much pain?
> Alternatively, can someone suggest a custom latex letter class which
> would be present in most LaTeX distributions? I'll be giving my LaTeX
> file to other people to compile. I did a quick look in my texlive
> installation (Debian Linux - lenny) and see akletter and scrlttr2 from
> koma-script. Would either of these be good bets?

There is also newlfm.
Regards, Faheem.

Paul Thompson

Apr 7, 2010, 10:03:47 PM4/7/10

Since I wrote newlfm, I recommend it. I think you can add a subject
to a letter. If not, and you post a sketch, I can fix it up to do
so.

Faheem Mitha

Apr 9, 2010, 12:21:14 PM4/9/10
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 19:03:47 -0700 (PDT), Paul Thompson
<thom...@sanfordhealth.org> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 7:13 am, Faheem Mitha <fah...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to add a subject to a letter. Is there any way of modifying
>> the standard letter class to do this, without too much pain?
>> Alternatively, can someone suggest a custom latex letter class which
>> would be present in most LaTeX distributions? I'll be giving my LaTeX
>> file to other people to compile. I did a quick look in my texlive
>> installation (Debian Linux - lenny) and see akletter and scrlttr2 from
>> koma-script. Would either of these be good bets?

> Since I wrote newlfm, I recommend it. I think you can add a subject

> to a letter. If not, and you post a sketch, I can fix it up to do
> so.

Ok Paul.

Thanks very much for the offer. The more advanced letter classes are a
little confusing for novices.

Regards, Faheem.

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 9, 2010, 4:28:29 PM4/9/10
On 2010-04-09, Faheem Mitha <fah...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 19:03:47 -0700 (PDT), Paul Thompson
><thom...@sanfordhealth.org> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 6, 7:13 am, Faheem Mitha <fah...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
>>> I'd like to add a subject to a letter. Is there any way of modifying
>>> the standard letter class to do this, without too much pain?
>>> Alternatively, can someone suggest a custom latex letter class which
>>> would be present in most LaTeX distributions? I'll be giving my LaTeX
>>> file to other people to compile. I did a quick look in my texlive
>>> installation (Debian Linux - lenny) and see akletter and scrlttr2 from
>>> koma-script. Would either of these be good bets?
>
>> Since I wrote newlfm, I recommend it. I think you can add a subject
>> to a letter. If not, and you post a sketch, I can fix it up to do
>> so.
>
> Thanks very much for the offer. The more advanced letter classes are a
> little confusing for novices.

newlfm is a bit crowded with options, because it does a lot of things
... but it does do them quite well.

contrariwise, the standard letter class does almost nothing, and in
many people's view, does those few things very badly.

it's worth spending a little effort to get better results, in my
opinion.

however, it's your time, your letter.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Faheem Mitha

Apr 10, 2010, 2:15:18 AM4/10/10
Hi Robin,

On 9 Apr 2010 20:28:29 GMT, Robin Fairbairns <rf...@warp.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> newlfm is a bit crowded with options, because it does a lot of
> things ... but it does do them quite well.

> contrariwise, the standard letter class does almost nothing, and in
> many people's view, does those few things very badly.

Probably true, unfortunately. Why not designate something else as the
default then?

> it's worth spending a little effort to get better results, in my
> opinion.

Agreed. I didn't say it wasn't, just that I got confused. There are
10,000 software packages out there. Sometimes one gets a little
overwhelmed.

> however, it's your time, your letter.

Yes. I take it you recommend newlfm as well, then? You are one of the
original TeX hackers, aren't you? I know you by reputation, but I
don't think I've ever had any actual exchange with you before.

Regards, Faheem.

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 10, 2010, 11:35:03 AM4/10/10
On 2010-04-10, Faheem Mitha <fah...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2010 20:28:29 GMT, Robin Fairbairns <rf...@warp.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> newlfm is a bit crowded with options, because it does a lot of
>> things ... but it does do them quite well.
>
>> contrariwise, the standard letter class does almost nothing, and in
>> many people's view, does those few things very badly.
>
> Probably true, unfortunately. Why not designate something else as the
> default then?

against the rules that latex should remain unchanged. if you want
better (and most people do) you need a contributed package.

>> it's worth spending a little effort to get better results, in my
>> opinion.
>
> Agreed. I didn't say it wasn't, just that I got confused. There are
> 10,000 software packages out there. Sometimes one gets a little
> overwhelmed.
>
>> however, it's your time, your letter.
>
> Yes. I take it you recommend newlfm as well, then? You are one of the
> original TeX hackers, aren't you? I know you by reputation, but I
> don't think I've ever had any actual exchange with you before.

lawks! i'm certainly not "original" -- i didn't start with tex until
the second half of the 80s.

my view, for what it's worth, is that newlfm seems to provide a rather
good range of facilities. however, bear in mind that i don't write
letters, since my grandmother died (in 1996). i think that was before
the advent of newlfm, but i certainly didn't use newlfm, or indeed any
package -- just a set of macros of my own on top of article class,
constructed with no eye for structure whatever.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge