"TeX capacity exceeded" with draftwatermark package

mc

Jan 2, 2007, 11:27:16 AM1/2/07
Greetings,

I'm using draftwatermark (fresh from CTAN) on a relatively long manuscript
and getting "TeX Capacity Exceeded" on the 12th page. Is this a known
problem?

I am using MikTeX from a couple of years back.

Thanks,

Michael Covington
Associate Director, Artificial Intelligence Center
The University of Georgia - www.ai.uga.edu/mc

Ulrike Fischer

Jan 2, 2007, 11:52:14 AM1/2/07
"mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> schrieb:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm using draftwatermark (fresh from CTAN) on a relatively long
> manuscript and getting "TeX Capacity Exceeded" on the 12th page. Is
> this a known problem?

No. Try to make a minimal failing document.

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zusätzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einfügen.

Maurizio Loreti

Jan 2, 2007, 12:05:16 PM1/2/07
"mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> writes:

> I'm using draftwatermark (fresh from CTAN) on a relatively long manuscript
> and getting "TeX Capacity Exceeded" on the 12th page. Is this a known
> problem?

Does the section "Capacity exceeded [semantic nest ...]" of the FAQ
list help? Or the section "Capacity exceeded - input levels" of the
same FAQ list?

- http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=semanticnest
- http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=inputlev

--
Maurizio Loreti ROT13:ybe...@cq.vasa.vg | (@_
Un. of Padova, Dept. of Physics, Padova, Italy | //\

Karl Ove Hufthammer

Jan 2, 2007, 12:30:24 PM1/2/07
mc skreiv:

> I'm using draftwatermark (fresh from CTAN) on a relatively long manuscript
> and getting "TeX Capacity Exceeded" on the 12th page.  Is this a known
> problem?

I have experienced this too. I seem to recall that including (large?) images
increased the chances of it happening. It was a problem with both latex and
pdflatex, and was no doubt caused by a bug in drafterwatermark.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer
E-post/Jabber: ka...@huftis.org

mc

Jan 2, 2007, 5:17:12 PM1/2/07
"Karl Ove Hufthammer" <ka...@huftis.org> wrote in message

> mc skreiv:
>
>> I'm using draftwatermark (fresh from CTAN) on a relatively long
>> manuscript
>> and getting "TeX Capacity Exceeded" on the 12th page. Is this a known
>> problem?
>
> I have experienced this too. I seem to recall that including (large?)
> images
> increased the chances of it happening. It was a problem with both latex
> and
> pdflatex, and was no doubt caused by a bug in drafterwatermark.

What I'm wanting to do is add a couple of lines ("this is an unpublished
manuscript, copyright etc. etc.") to every page of my document. I've been
doing this with PostScript specials, but those don't show up when I use
dvipdf. So I thought draftwatermark would do the job.

I haven't tried to construct a minimum failing document, but
\usepackage{draftwatermark}
by itself (taking all the defaults) will produce the problem.

I'll see if the error message has any more to tell me.

mc

Jan 2, 2007, 5:21:38 PM1/2/07

"Maurizio Loreti" <m...@foobar.it> wrote in message

> "mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> writes:
>
>> I'm using draftwatermark (fresh from CTAN) on a relatively long
>> manuscript
>> and getting "TeX Capacity Exceeded" on the 12th page. Is this a known
>> problem?
>
> Does the section "Capacity exceeded [semantic nest ...]" of the FAQ
> list help? Or the section "Capacity exceeded - input levels" of the
> same FAQ list?
>
> - http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=semanticnest
> - http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=inputlev

It is neither of those. It occurs at a place where there is a stack of
floats needing to be placed. Here's the log:

<pix/061013-M31easy.eps> <pix/DSLRsideview.eps> <pix/DSLRcutaway.eps> [12]
Runaway text?
ps: currentpoint g
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=2000001].
\Grot@end ->\special {ps: currentpoint gr
estore moveto}
l.62

Output written on DSLRBOOK.dvi (13 pages, 62096 bytes).
Transcript written on DSLRBOOK.log.
texify: latex exited with bad status, quitting.
texify: see "DSLRBOOK.log" for errors.

I got the same result when trying to use the everypage package to do
something similar but simpler. (I don't actually need the draft watermark;
a shorter message on every page is what I want.)

mc

Jan 2, 2007, 5:26:01 PM1/2/07

"Karl Ove Hufthammer" <ka...@huftis.org> wrote in message
> mc skreiv:
>
>> I'm using draftwatermark (fresh from CTAN) on a relatively long
>> manuscript
>> and getting "TeX Capacity Exceeded" on the 12th page. Is this a known
>> problem?
>
> I have experienced this too. I seem to recall that including (large?)
> images
> increased the chances of it happening. It was a problem with both latex
> and
> pdflatex, and was no doubt caused by a bug in drafterwatermark.

I think \AddEverypageHook must be causing some kind of endless recursion,
based on a few experiments, but am not sure. As I said in another message,
I don't have time to debug this, but I hope someone will.

mc

Jan 2, 2007, 5:47:31 PM1/2/07
It has to do with the fact that he hooks \@outputpage, which apparently
interacts in a messier way than he realizes with floats. In my situation
it's crashing where there are 3 pages of floats.

I'll go back to using PostScript specials, dvips, and Acrobat.

Jim

Jan 2, 2007, 8:50:09 PM1/2/07

mc wrote:
> What I'm wanting to do is add a couple of lines ("this is an unpublished
> manuscript, copyright etc. etc.") to every page of my document.
Have you tried using fancyhdr? For instance, putting the material into
every head or foot is easy with this package. Also, you can put it
anywhere on the page by making a LaTeX picture environment, putting it
in the header, and writing something like \put(100,-200){--whatever--}
(you can put outside the picture).

Jim

mc

Jan 2, 2007, 11:02:42 PM1/2/07

"Jim" <jhef...@smcvt.edu> wrote in message

Very good suggestion!! I'll try that.

Robin Fairbairns

Jan 3, 2007, 6:52:13 AM1/3/07

there are other ways, though: using eso-pic (or everyshi, which it's
built on, direct) is common. see

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=watermark

i'll add a note about your experience; is it perhaps just to do with
you using sideways floats? (i can't provoke it with a single sideways
float, i have to admit.)

have you mailed callegari about the apparent bug?
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Maarten

Jan 3, 2007, 7:52:18 AM1/3/07
mc wrote:

> What I'm wanting to do is add a couple of lines ("this is an unpublished
> manuscript, copyright etc. etc.") to every page of my document. I've been
> doing this with PostScript specials, but those don't show up when I use
> dvipdf. So I thought draftwatermark would do the job.

Post processing with pdftk is another option that may work. There is an
example on the pdftk homepage.

Maarten

mc

Jan 8, 2007, 1:34:04 AM1/8/07

"Robin Fairbairns" <rf...@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

Haven't done that, and haven't constructed a minimum reproduction of the
error -- I had to go out of town. It's not sideways floats. It's multiple
full-page floats that stack up so you get a place where there are several of
them in a row.

Someone who is in touch with the author of draftwatermark may want to mail
this thread to him (or a pointer to it). I regret that I was out of town
and away from newsgroups during most of the discussion. Thanks for your
suggestions about other tools!