TeX capacity changes are not accepted

Benno Puetz

Jun 30, 2008, 12:24:09 PM6/30/08
I try to set a huge document (about 50000 pages) with pdflatex and
experienced

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=256620].

Following the directions in the FAQ I tried to increase all possible
parameters, including

max_strings = 400000

followed by

texconfig init

While this seemed to work, I still get the above error message,
apparently the parameter is not changed.
Is there any other way to increase the capacity?

Any help will be appreciated

Benno Puetz

Tim Arnold

Jun 30, 2008, 1:03:36 PM6/30/08
"Benno Puetz" <pu...@mpi.stat.gen> wrote in message

Some things you can fix in the cnf file, but there's a limit. I had to
recompile the tex binaries after setting max_strings to a higher level. You
can see the thread here that led to me to that solution.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/8a8f7eee781b94f4/19d0f79fc5346cf0?lnk=gst&q=Tim+Arnold#19d0f79fc5346cf0

--Tim Arnold

Benno Puetz

Jul 3, 2008, 10:59:21 AM7/3/08
Tim Arnold wrote:
> "Benno Puetz" <pu...@mpi.stat.gen> wrote in message
>> I try to set a huge document (about 50000 pages) with pdflatex and
>> experienced
>>
>> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=256620].

> Some things you can fix in the cnf file, but there's a limit. I had to
> recompile the tex binaries after setting max_strings to a higher level. You
> can see the thread here that led to me to that solution.
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/8a8f7eee781b94f4/19d0f79fc5346cf0?lnk=gst&q=Tim+Arnold#19d0f79fc5346cf0
>
> --Tim Arnold

Thanks for the quick reply, however I am still puzzled on how to
proceed. I have never compiled TeX and a search last night seemed to
confuse rather than clarify ...

Would you mind guiding me a bit further?

I am working with a TeXlive 2007 installation, both on Mac OSX and Linux

Thank you in advance

Benno

Lars Madsen

Jul 3, 2008, 11:27:20 AM7/3/08

just for the fun of it, but have you checked that it is not because of come
other problem that TeX runs out of strings?

Badly defined macros perhaps?

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

Tim Arnold

Jul 3, 2008, 12:27:37 PM7/3/08
"Benno Puetz" <pu...@mpi.stat.gen> wrote in message
Hi Benno,
You'll need to download the TeXLive2007 sources and change the value for
max_strings (can't remember the filename, but you can use grep to find itl I
remember it being pretty obvious as to what needed changing).
Then configure & make (see the file called INSTALL that comes with the
sources).
You'll have new binaries with the modified setting.

As Lars says, before you go to this trouble, make sure you really need to do
it. You have a very large book, so maybe you do. It's not as hard to
recompile the binaries as it might sound. I'm not certain since I install
from the TUG DVD, but it looks like you can get the source here, if you
don't have the source on a physical CD, and you're in the US.
http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/texcollection/texlive/
texlive-live.iso.zip

--Tim Arnold

Benno PŸtz

Jul 3, 2008, 6:38:07 PM7/3/08

Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> wrote:
>Benno Puetz wrote:
>> I try to set a huge document (about 50000 pages) with pdflatex and
>> experienced
>>
>> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=256620].
>>
>> Following the directions in the FAQ I tried to increase all possible
>> parameters, including
>>
>> max_strings = 400000
>>
>> followed by
>>
>> texconfig init
>>

>> While this seemed to work, I still get the above error message,
>> apparently the parameter is not changed.
>> Is there any other way to increase the capacity?
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated
>>
>> Benno Puetz
>
>just for the fun of it, but have you checked that it is not because of come
>other problem that TeX runs out of strings?
>
>Badly defined macros perhaps?

It works fine to about 31000 pages, so I would assume no other problem
(besides, there where other limits I had reached earlier, which I could
overcome by modifications to texmf.cnf)

--
Benno

Lars Madsen

Jul 4, 2008, 5:14:39 AM7/4/08

ok, makes sense

Karl Berry

Jul 4, 2008, 5:30:48 PM7/4/08
I've increased max_strings to 500000 in texmf.cnf in TeX Live 2008.

As far as I can tell the sources do not need be recompiled. Try
explicitly deleting your .fmt files?

karl