Import TiZz graphic in powerpoint

Christine Niebler

Jul 23, 2008, 6:59:45 AM7/23/08
Hi all,

I created a TikZ figure for my thesis. In a talk I have to use
powerpoint (unfortunatelly no beamer etc. allowed) and want to import
the TikZ drawing. How can I achieve this, without using the Acrobat
Reader snapshot function or loosing too much resolution?

Many thanks in advance!
Christine

Martin Heller

Jul 23, 2008, 7:14:46 AM7/23/08
Christine Niebler skrev:

> I created a TikZ figure for my thesis. In a talk I have to use
> powerpoint (unfortunatelly no beamer etc. allowed) and want to import
> the TikZ drawing. How can I achieve this, without using the Acrobat
> Reader snapshot function or loosing too much resolution?

Use the \begingraphicnamed ... \endgraphicnamed to create a
cropped pdf file with the drawing. Then use Inkscape to export it
as an emf file which you can insert in PowerPoint.

Christine Niebler

Jul 23, 2008, 7:50:54 AM7/23/08

Hi Martin,

thank you for your answer, unfortunately I cannot find a command like
\begingraphicnamed ... \endgraphicnamed what usepackage do I have to
use? Or could you please correct my minimal example:

% ----------------------------- %

\documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl}
\usepackage{tikz}
\pagestyle{empty}

\begin{document}
%\begingraphicnamed
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (-1,-1) rectangle (1,1);
\draw node at (0,0) {Center};
\end{tikzpicture}
%\endgraphicnamed
\end{document}

% ----------------------------- %

Martin Heller

Jul 23, 2008, 8:52:21 AM7/23/08
Christine Niebler skrev:

> thank you for your answer, unfortunately I cannot find a command like
> \begingraphicnamed ... \endgraphicnamed what usepackage do I have to
> use? Or could you please correct my minimal example:

Sorry. missed ...pgf... the commands. Here is your modified
minimal example:

\documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl}
\usepackage{tikz}

\pgfrealjobname{dummy}

\begin{document}
\beginpgfgraphicnamed{\jobname}%

\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (-1,-1) rectangle (1,1);
\draw node at (0,0) {Center};
\end{tikzpicture}%

\endpgfgraphicnamed
\end{document}

Christine Niebler

Jul 23, 2008, 9:36:33 AM7/23/08
Hi Martin,

wow, this works great!

Thanks a lot!
Christine

asadi....@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2014, 4:48:10 AM11/25/14
Thanks for the post, I tried but I received the following error:

Package pgf Error: Sorry, image externalization failed: the resu
lting image was EMPTY. I tried to externalize 'main'. Perhaps there was a typo
somewhere? Please check that your document contains '\beginpgfgraphicnamed{main
} ... \endpgfgraphicnamed'.

See the pgf package documentation for explanation.
Type H <return> for immediate help.

l.13 \end{document}

olafte...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2018, 9:26:24 PM1/31/18
This might come a little late, but it might help someone else reading this. If you match the jobname to the filename of your .tex file, it runs without errors.