new line

1 view

Bogdan Lataianu

Jun 3, 2007, 3:34:00 AM6/3/07
How to write newlines in math mode? In particular, in an equation,
because I've tried newline and \\ inside an equation and doesn't work.
Thanks, Bogdan

José Carlos Santos

Jun 3, 2007, 3:53:59 AM6/3/07
On 03-06-2007 8:34, Bogdan Lataianu wrote:

> How to write newlines in math mode? In particular, in an equation,
> because I've tried newline and \\ inside an equation and doesn't work.

That depends upon what you want to achieve. One possibility is (assuming
that you are using the amsmath package):

\begin{multline}
a+b+c+d+e\\
e+f+g+h+i
\end{multline}

If you want the lines aligned, then use align (or align*) instead of
multline.

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos

Heiko Oberdiek

Jun 3, 2007, 4:43:13 AM6/3/07
Bogdan Lataianu <bodi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How to write newlines in math mode? In particular, in an equation,
> because I've tried newline and \\ inside an equation and doesn't work.

LaTeX's equation is one line.

Package amsmath provides many possibilities for multi-line
equations, check its documentation.

Yours sincerely
Heiko <ober...@uni-freiburg.de>

eddie...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2007, 6:48:02 AM6/4/07
Use the eqnarray environment for equations running over several
lines. It's a table in maths mode with 3 columns.

\begin{eqnarray}
A & = & B \\
& = & C \\
& = & D
\end{eqnarray}

On Jun 3, 9:43 am, Heiko Oberdiek <oberd...@uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Bogdan Lataianu <bodins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How to write newlines in math mode? In particular, in an equation,
> > because I've tried newline and \\ inside an equation and doesn't work.
>
> LaTeX's equation is one line.
>
> Package amsmath provides many possibilities for multi-line
> equations, check its documentation.
>
> Yours sincerely

> Heiko <oberd...@uni-freiburg.de>

Herbert Voss

Jun 4, 2007, 7:02:44 AM6/4/07
eddie...@gmail.com wrote:
> Use the eqnarray environment for equations running over several
> lines. It's a table in maths mode with 3 columns.
>
> \begin{eqnarray}
> A & = & B \\
> & = & C \\
> & = & D
> \end{eqnarray}

use everything, but not eqnarray ...

http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-4/madsen/

Herbert

--
http://PSTricks.tug.org
http://tug.org/CTAN/info/math/voss/

Heiko Oberdiek

Jun 4, 2007, 7:21:46 AM6/4/07
"eddie...@gmail.com" <eddie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Use the eqnarray environment for equations running over several
> lines. It's a table in maths mode with 3 columns.

Please, don't toppost:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

> On Jun 3, 9:43 am, Heiko Oberdiek <oberd...@uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> > Bogdan Lataianu <bodins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How to write newlines in math mode? In particular, in an equation,
> > > because I've tried newline and \\ inside an equation and doesn't work.
> >
> > LaTeX's equation is one line.
> >
> > Package amsmath provides many possibilities for multi-line
> > equations, check its documentation.

The eqnarray environment has many disadvantages (spacing, ...),
amsmath provides many environments with many advantages.

Yours sincerely
Heiko <oberd...@uni-freiburg.de>