pdftooltip not shown with hyperref links

James

Mar 12, 2012, 11:32:27 AM3/12/12

I'm using miktex 2.9 pdflatex and adobe reader X.

I'm trying to use the \pdftooltip command defined in the pdfcomment
package to create pdf tooltip popups on hyperlinks to other sections
of the same pdf. Attempts 1 and 2 in the minimal file below produce
no visible tooltips. Attempt 3 produces the tooltip but only when the
mouse is hovering within the tabular cell but not directly over the
hyperlink.

Is there a way to see the tooltip when the mouse is over the
hyperlink?

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{pdfcomment}
\begin{document}

% functions properly without hyperlink
\pdftooltip{target}{target info}

% Attempt 1: tooltip not shown when mouse over hyperlink
\pdftooltip{\hyperlink{target}{link to target}}{target info}

% Attempt 2: tooltip not shown when mouse over hyperlink
\hyperlink{target}{\pdftooltip{link to target}{target info}}

% Attempt 3: tooltip shown only when mouse over cell edges
\pdftooltip{
\begin{tabular}{|c|} \hline
\hyperlink{target}{link to target} \\ \hline
\end{tabular}
}{target info}

\newpage
\hypertarget{target}{target}
\end{document}

Josef Kleber

Mar 12, 2012, 4:00:38 PM3/12/12
Am 12.03.2012 16:32, schrieb James:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using miktex 2.9 pdflatex and adobe reader X.
>
> I'm trying to use the \pdftooltip command defined in the pdfcomment
> package to create pdf tooltip popups on hyperlinks to other sections
> of the same pdf. Attempts 1 and 2 in the minimal file below produce
> no visible tooltips. Attempt 3 produces the tooltip but only when the
> mouse is hovering within the tabular cell but not directly over the
> hyperlink.
>
> Is there a way to see the tooltip when the mouse is over the
> hyperlink?

There are two layers of PDF annotations. A widget annotations with a
button (pdftooltip) and a PDF link annotation. With
\usepackage[draft]{hyperref} you can see that the tooltip is there, but
the link annotations seem to be on top always. Don't know why. Maybe
Heiko or a PDF guru has an idea?

Josef

James

Mar 13, 2012, 7:32:04 AM3/13/12
Thanks for the information Josef. I'm trying to use the tooltip to
give some information about the target. Then if the reader still
needs more information they can click the link. All of my hyperlinks
are to targets within the same PDF file so there is no annotation
displayed over the links, but the cursor changes to a hand with the
index finger extended.

Does anyone else have information or a solution for me? My current
sub-optimal idea is to associate the tooltip with a question mark
typeset beside the link.

James

lian...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2016, 6:20:46 AM2/10/16
I have the same problem.
One strange thing is different pdf reader has different result. When I use adobe reader it works badly, but using the reader of Windows10 works well....