beamer + helvet package exposes line-break bug (?)

Alan G Isaac

Oct 1, 2010, 11:02:10 AM10/1/10
The output from the document below has peculiar (I
believe buggy) line breaking. Explanation?

Alan Isaac
using MiKTeX-pdfTeX 2.8.3759 (1.40.10) (MiKTeX 2.8)

%%%%%%%%%%%% Buggy Line Breaking %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% need beamer class to see it, but don't need frame environment
%% the helvet package exposes (produces?) the bug
\documentclass[english]{beamer}
\usepackage[scaled=.90]{helvet}
\begin{document}

\begin{frame}
\frametitle{Buggy Line Breaking}

\begin{itemize}

\item Restofthislineiscrucial money market equilibrium at the new X, we must see X rise so that
% this comment is crucial for seeing the problem
\begin{quote}
Content here is irrelevant.
\end{quote}
\item Noticeoddlinebreak money market equilibrium at the new X, we must see X rise so that
% this comment is crucial for seeing the problem
\begin{quote}
Content here is irrelevant.
\end{quote}
\item Test money market equilibrium at the new X, we must see X rise so that
% this comment is crucial for seeing the problem
\begin{quote}
Content here is irrelevant.
\end{quote}

\end{itemize}

\end{frame}

\end{document}

Heiko Oberdiek

Oct 1, 2010, 11:51:11 AM10/1/10
Alan G Isaac <alan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The output from the document below has peculiar (I
> believe buggy) line breaking. Explanation?

> \item Restofthislineiscrucial money market equilibrium at the new X, we must see X rise so that

> % this comment is crucial for seeing the problem
> \begin{quote}

The beamer version of quote does not start a new paragraph (I don't
know the reason). With \par, \parfillskip is added at the end of the
second line and the output is as expected.

Workaround: Add \par or an empty line before \begin{quote}.

--
Heiko Oberdiek

Alan G Isaac

Oct 1, 2010, 12:00:53 PM10/1/10
On 10/1/2010 11:51 AM, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> The beamer version of quote does not start a new paragraph (I don't
> know the reason). With \par, \parfillskip is added at the end of the
> second line and the output is as expected.

Thanks. Even given that, is the line-breaking not peculiar?

Thanks,
Alan Isaac

PS If anyone knows why the beamer ``quote`` environment
differs in this way, I'd be interested to understand.