dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.

mathieu....@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2006, 2:11:42 PM9/9/06
Hello,

I am trying to build a tex file but I cannot seems to generate the
dvi file. The output is not very verbose on why the dvi was not
produced.
Steps to reproduce (*). Or simply running `latex ArticleExample.tex`
does not produce any dvi file.

Thanks for suggestion
Mathieu

cd /tmp/bla
wget
http://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/InsightJournal/InsightJournalSubmissionTemplate.tgz
tar xvfz InsightJournalSubmissionTemplate.tgz
cd SubmissionTemplate/Document/LaTeX
make
Output written on ArticleExample.pdf (4 pages, 87772 bytes).
Transcript written on ArticleExample.log.
dvips -o ArticleExample.ps ArticleExample.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
make: [ArticleExample.ps] Error 1 (ignored)
ps2pdf ArticleExample.ps
Error: /undefinedfilename in (ArticleExample.ps)
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval--
--nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval--
--nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1119/1686(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:70/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
GPL Ghostscript 8.50: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
make: [ArticleExample.pdf] Error 1 (ignored)

Peter Flynn

Sep 9, 2006, 2:55:41 PM9/9/06
mathieu....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build a tex file but I cannot seems to generate the
> dvi file. The output is not very verbose on why the dvi was not
> produced.
> Steps to reproduce (*). Or simply running `latex ArticleExample.tex`
> does not produce any dvi file.
>
> Thanks for suggestion
> Mathieu
>
> cd /tmp/bla
> wget
> http://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/InsightJournal/InsightJournalSubmissionTemplate.tgz
> tar xvfz InsightJournalSubmissionTemplate.tgz
> cd SubmissionTemplate/Document/LaTeX
> make
> Output written on ArticleExample.pdf (4 pages, 87772 bytes).

This is why there's no DVI file. It's creating a PDF file instead.

///Peter

Ralf Stubner

Sep 9, 2006, 3:17:47 PM9/9/06
Peter Flynn <peter...@m.silmaril.ie> writes:

> mathieu....@gmail.com wrote:
>> Output written on ArticleExample.pdf (4 pages, 87772 bytes).
>
> This is why there's no DVI file. It's creating a PDF file instead.

The most likely reason for a PDF file being created instead of a DVI
file is an incoorect check for pdfTeX. The right solution for this is
offered by ifpdf.sty, if such a check is necessary at all.

cheerio
ralf

mathieu....@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2006, 4:32:44 PM9/9/06

Thanks ralf,

I think you are right, this was indeed the issue. I followed the
instructions from:

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/textmate/2006-February/008434.html

Therefore I have now:

\documentclass{InsightArticle}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\usepackage{ifpdf}
\usepackage[dvips,
bookmarks,
bookmarksopen,
backref,
colorlinks,linkcolor={blue},citecolor={blue},urlcolor={blue},
]{hyperref}

Now when building dvi:

$ make dvi
(./ArticleExample.out)
pdfTeX error (ext1): \pdfinfo used while \pdfoutput is not set.
<argument> { \def \\{, } \pdfinfo
{ /Author (\@author ) /Title (\@title
) } }
l.71

No pages of output.
Transcript written on ArticleExample.log.
make: [ArticleExample.dvi] Error 1 (ignored)

The faulty lines are from InsightArticle.cls:

\pdfinfo{
/Author (\@author)
/Title (\@title)
}

Thanks again
Mathieu

mathieu....@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2006, 4:40:45 PM9/9/06

Ok I found the solution:

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-pdftex/2005-July/001527.html

One need to add \pdfoutput=1 :

\renewcommand{\maketitle}{
\itk@doHorizontalRule
\@ifundefined{pdfinfo}{}{{
% This \def is required to deal with multi-line authors; it
% changes \\ to ', ' (comma-space), making it pass muster for
% generating document info in the PDF file.
\def\\{, }
\pdfoutput=1 % <- FIX

\pdfinfo{
/Author (\@author)
/Title (\@title)
}
}}

Heiko Oberdiek

Sep 10, 2006, 12:47:24 AM9/10/06
mathieu....@gmail.com wrote:

> > \usepackage{ifpdf}
> > \usepackage[dvips,
> > bookmarks,
> > bookmarksopen,
> > backref,
> > colorlinks,linkcolor={blue},citecolor={blue},urlcolor={blue},
> > ]{hyperref}

> \renewcommand{\maketitle}{

> \itk@doHorizontalRule
> \@ifundefined{pdfinfo}{}{{
> % This \def is required to deal with multi-line authors; it
> % changes \\ to ', ' (comma-space), making it pass muster for
> % generating document info in the PDF file.
> \def\\{, }
> \pdfoutput=1 % <- FIX
> \pdfinfo{
> /Author (\@author)
> /Title (\@title)
> }
> }}

hyperref knows the option `pdfusetitle', then it tries
to use the maketitle data for the PDF document information.

Yours sincerely
Heiko <ober...@uni-freiburg.de>