Table Below Footer

sabre...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2006, 9:11:54 AM6/14/06

Using LaTeX2e under Windows and compiling to PDF file. Using the book
class. I have a short {tabular} environment in an appendix which has
one {table} in it. This table is appearing at the bottom of the page
with the single footer *above* it. If I add data to the table so that
it is larger, it moves (correctly) to the top of the next page. Any
suggestions as to why the footer is being placed above the table? I've
not seen this behaviour any time / anywhere else.

Thanks.

Ulrike Fischer

Jun 14, 2006, 10:05:29 AM6/14/06
sabre...@gmail.com schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Using LaTeX2e under Windows and compiling to PDF file. Using the book
> class. I have a short {tabular} environment in an appendix which has
> one {table} in it.

I hope not. The tabular should be in the table.

> This table is appearing at the bottom of the page
> with the single footer *above* it. If I add data to the table so that
> it is larger, it moves (correctly) to the top of the next page. Any
> suggestions as to why the footer is being placed above the table? I've
> not seen this behaviour any time / anywhere else.

The footer or footnotes? I never saw the first, but the second can
happen. Could you make a minimal example that shows your problem?

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zusätzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einfügen.

sabre...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2006, 11:58:13 AM6/14/06

> > Using LaTeX2e under Windows and compiling to PDF file. Using the book
> > class. I have a short {tabular} environment in an appendix which has
> > one {table} in it.
>
> I hope not. The tabular should be in the table.

Ah, yes, of course, that's what I meant! :)

> > This table is appearing at the bottom of the page
> > with the single footer *above* it. If I add data to the table so that
> > it is larger, it moves (correctly) to the top of the next page. Any
> > suggestions as to why the footer is being placed above the table? I've
> > not seen this behaviour any time / anywhere else.
>
> The footer or footnotes? I never saw the first, but the second can
> happen. Could you make a minimal example that shows your problem?

Um, ah, yes, of course, the *footnote* :)

Here is a minimal example which I made from the actual .tex file which
is giving the problem. I've compiled it here via pdflatex. It fits on
one page and shows a table below the footnote;

---------- CUT ----------

\documentclass[a4paper,11pt,notitlepage,onecolumn,oneside,openany]{book}
\def\subit#1{$_{#1}$}
\def\supit#1{$^{#1}$}
\def\indenty{\hspace*{1cm}}
\def\litre{$\ell$}
\begin{document}
\chapter{CHAPTER TITLE}\label{SOMELABEL}
\section*{SOMESECTIONTITLE}
I've just retyped my email here to fill up the space to make this
example work ... \emph{Using LaTeX2e under Windows and compiling to PDF
file. Using the book class. I have a short blah blah as an appendix
which has one blah blah in it. This table\footnote{Here is the
footnote} is appearing at the bottom of the page with the single footer

*above* it. If I add data to the table so that it is larger, it moves
(correctly) to the top of the next page. Any suggestions as to why the

footer is being placed above the table?} Blah blah. Fits on one page
now.
\begin{table}
\begin{center}
\footnotesize
\begin{tabular}{| l l l |}
\hline
\textbf{COLUMN1} & \textbf{COLUMN2} & \textbf{COLUMN3} \\ \hline
\textbf{LITTLE HEADING} & & \\ \hline
\indenty NaNO\subit{3} & 25.00 & 10m\litre \\ \hline
\indenty CaCl\subit{2}.2H\subit{2}O & 2.50 & 10m\litre \\ \hline
\indenty MgSO\subit{4}.7H\subit{2}O & 7.50 & 10m\litre \\ \hline
\indenty K\subit{2}HPO\subit{4} & 7.50 & 10m\litre \\ \hline
\indenty KH\subit{2}PO\subit{4} & 17.50 & 10m\litre \\ \hline
\indenty NaCl & 2.50 & 10m\litre \\ \hline
\indenty CuSO\subit{4}.5H\subit{2}O & 1.57 & \\ \hline
\indenty Co(NO\subit{3})\subit{2}.6H\subit{2}O & 0.49 & \\ \hline
\end{tabular}
\normalsize
\end{center}
\end{table}
\section*{ANOTHER HEADING THING HERE}
\subsection*{CITATION REMOVED}
\textbf{Sub Heading}\\
And now notice that the table is placed at the bottom of the page but
that the footnote is above the table which is very strange. I wonder
what I have done wrong.
\end{document}

---------- CUT ----------

Thanks.

Ulrike Fischer

Jun 14, 2006, 12:05:25 PM6/14/06
sabre...@gmail.com schrieb:

>> > This table is appearing at the bottom of the page
>> > with the single footer *above* it. If I add data to the table so that
>> > it is larger, it moves (correctly) to the top of the next page. Any
>> > suggestions as to why the footer is being placed above the table? I've
>> > not seen this behaviour any time / anywhere else.
>>
>> The footer or footnotes? I never saw the first, but the second can
>> happen. Could you make a minimal example that shows your problem?
>
> Um, ah, yes, of course, the *footnote* :)
>
> Here is a minimal example which I made from the actual .tex file which
> is giving the problem. I've compiled it here via pdflatex. It fits on
> one page and shows a table below the footnote;

\usepackage[bottom]{footmisc}

Dan Luecking

Jun 14, 2006, 1:33:16 PM6/14/06
On 14 Jun 2006 08:58:13 -0700, sabre...@gmail.com wrote:

[...]
>\begin{table}
[...]

>And now notice that the table is placed at the bottom of the page but
>that the footnote is above the table which is very strange. I wonder
>what I have done wrong.

Using \begin{table}[htp] causes this table to be placed at this
location. Using \begin{table}[tp] puts it on the next page. If
I really needed it at the bottom, I don't find the behavior of
LaTeX (below the footnotes) to be particularly bad, but I'm not
an expert in book design.

There are various packages/classes that change the behavior of
footnotes and floats. footmisc.sty comes to mind, as does float.sty
(I don't know if either addresses this) and I'd also look into the
memoir class and maybe the koma-script class scrbook.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking